Season to be delayed?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DAG42

Michael Gove just said on BBC news fans will not be allowed to attend games.
BB-Dagger

Not really a surprise after the recent increase in COVID infections, my main concern is the effect it will have on our club as well as others in the lower leagues, makes me sick listening to the tv last night with premier league clubs whinging about lack of funds and how they are struggling to get by.. they have created a situation with their greed and obscene wages so I hope the government ignore them and only help smaller clubs.
Diggerthedog

Football at the top level does not need fans due to TV revenue, we need fans as it’s the main source of income. This will force many into further redundancies and even extinction.

I just hope our extremely generous owners don’t get cold feet due to the whimp’s that run out country. The whole indoor economy is open and has been for months why our outdoor sports stadiums not at least partially open is beyond me.
DaggerJoel11

This is completely ridiculous now. As has been extensively mentioned, open-air football matches and especially those in the lower leagues are far safer than the other public outlets that have been opened in their droves.

This 'elite' categorisation means we are deemed more similar in stature to Liverpool than we are Hornchurch, who will be allowed supporters.

They can't keep delaying the National League start in preparation for a supporter-friendly start date that may never come. Clubs are massively reliant on supporters but they will be going another month (best case scenario) without their main source of income, all while paying monthly wages.

Is there not a way a streaming service can be set up, just to cover the period supporters are not allowed? For STH their season ticket would essentially pay for their access. If, for example, Notts County had 5,000 supporters paying a streaming fee, they'd make more money on a matchday than with 1,000 through the gates anyway I suspect. The majority of clubs would be similar as their attendances exceed 1000. Surely some income is better than none at all.

It's so incredibly disillusioning, especially with the scheduled season start just a fortnight away only for everything to be thrust into disarray once more.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Dagger83

Remember, it's not just the watching of the game that needs to be considered, it's how everyone gets there too.

Personally, I think it's daft, in the current climate, to have events on. Hundreds of people all going to the same location seems a recipe for disaster and one that isn't necessary.

I agree that streaming is the way forward. It's not ideal but it can't be that hard to organise and although may not be the perfect solution financially, it would bring a few quid in to help out.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
BarkingRambo

I wonder if something like Joel is suggesting needs to be considered and clubs start consulting those that have paid for season tickets as to whether they would be willing to move their season tickets to access to a streaming service (maybe charge terrace season ticket rate for it) therefore getting a similar income to what they would have done if the stadiums were open. Sell single match passes and who knows what might happen with away fans too (probably get a lot more buyers than 12 coming up from Torquay on a Tuesday night). If I'm at home on a Saturday I'm more likely to pay a tenner to watch us in Gateshead than I am to get on a train/coach and spend the whole day actually trying to attend it.
Dagger83

BarkingRambo wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:55 am I wonder if something like Joel is suggesting needs to be considered and clubs start consulting those that have paid for season tickets as to whether they would be willing to move their season tickets to access to a streaming service (maybe charge terrace season ticket rate for it) therefore getting a similar income to what they would have done if the stadiums were open. Sell single match passes and who knows what might happen with away fans too (probably get a lot more buyers than 12 coming up from Torquay on a Tuesday night). If I'm at home on a Saturday I'm more likely to pay a tenner to watch us in Gateshead than I am to get on a train/coach and spend the whole day actually trying to attend it.
It wouldn't be anywhere near a similar income as families would only need one stream where they would have bought multiple tickets in the past. It's worth doing though as the costs, I assume, are fairly small.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
SUSSEX DAGGER

We are paying for the sins of our Fathers. I am afraid. Last 50 years we changed our society from a Socially concerned society to a me me me me and only me matters one.

Nothing is better illustrated then the kids, March and April the death rate was at its highest. We closed the schools along with everything else and the infection rate and death rate dropped . In June we lifted the lockdown and the death and infection rate still fell. We opened the hospitality industry in July and for the next 6 weeks the death and infection rate not only fell but plummeted.

We then open Schools and all of a sudden the rates rise and they raise fast..

Clearly the problem is clearly identified but we cant admit it , the reason is simple the main purpose of our brilliant Teachers and Schools is not to educate our kids it is to supply a State run creche and Child minding service in order that the masses can chase the quid.. That is why we cant close the places were this Pandemic is causing the problem the Schools.

1500 People meeting in an area that is designed to take 4 times that amount in the open air is far more safe then 1500 kids gathering in a enclosed building, the truth however is hard to admit.

Sadly we are once again attacking the wrong areas and nothing will improve until we admit that fact however hard it is to follow. This folly will not only see 5th tier Football Clubs go bust we risk the very future of this great Country. Close the Schools isolate kids from those at risk is the only way as I see it
ThatRoundThing

Anyone who thinks streaming could be the answer to generate income, then read the dilemma Colchester United owner finds his club in. Zero Income from away game streaming purchased by U’s fans. Also the bigger supported clubs earn much more than his club when they are at Home.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/septemb ... statement/
NBDag

ThatRoundThing wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:41 pm Anyone who thinks streaming could be the answer to generate income, then read the dilemma Colchester United owner finds his club in. Zero Income from away game streaming purchased by U’s fans. Also the bigger supported clubs earn much more than his club when they are at Home.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/septemb ... statement/
That is a weird set up... Surely all money should be split the way it would if it was a home match!! Personally I think streaming is a good idea. Temporary income, advertising at half time can be sold. Then the electronic programmes that we’re introducing should now come at a fee to access, even if it’s just £1.
BarkingRambo

although we don't get the income from our away games we will potentially get more income from better supported clubs away fans paying into our stream (half the league have a better attendance than us). Or discuss with the league a way of divvying up the stream revenue as they would if they were physically in attendance.

Its not a perfect solution at all but Thommo said at the forum if there is another lockdown the club is finished. Our owners don't have unlimited funds and the government is at the moment ending furlough, we need to do something to ease the burden.
Diggerthedog

Dagger83 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:28 am Remember, it's not just the watching of the game that needs to be considered, it's how everyone gets there too.

Personally, I think it's daft, in the current climate, to have events on. Hundreds of people all going to the same location seems a recipe for disaster and one that isn't necessary.

I agree that streaming is the way forward. It's not ideal but it can't be that hard to organise and although may not be the perfect solution financially, it would bring a few quid in to help out.
The talk of someone that never attends games.
Dagger83

Diggerthedog wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:50 pm
Dagger83 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:28 am Remember, it's not just the watching of the game that needs to be considered, it's how everyone gets there too.

The talk of someone that never attends games.
Very true, I rarely attend any more. I had a season ticket for many years and I think my opinion would have been the same then though.
Daggerfan

Thomo has just made an announcement on the club website looks like a streaming service is being setup. However the National League still needs a large handout from the government to keep clubs afloat.
Daggerfan

Thomo has also written to MP John Cruddas asking him to ask the government for 20 million to support The National League clubs.