Black lives matter

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Chigwellian

During the pandemic, we have had been swamped by sportsmen' taking the knee' to what has been called an activist organisation called BLM.
I get very uneasy seeing this at sporting events as I was always under the impression that they were non political.
I sincerely hope that the daggers do not participate in this ludicrous fad.
We have anti racist day which is enough.
Auntie Merge

Chigwellian wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:50 am During the pandemic, we have had been swamped by sportsmen' taking the knee' to what has been called an activist organisation called BLM.
I get very uneasy seeing this at sporting events as I was always under the impression that they were non political.
I sincerely hope that the daggers do not participate in this ludicrous fad.
We have anti racist day which is enough.
I agree. Given the route the UK Black Lives Matter organisation has taken (defund the police, endorsing anti-semitism etc) I sincerely hope the club sticks to anti-racist/community day and doesn’t do anything to harm the relationship with the rest of our supporting community.
Mark

The relationship between Black Lives Matter the organisation, and the concept of black lives matter I think needs to be clarified. The organisation has some very questionable goals, and probably are a cynical political group trying to hijack a legitimate campaign.

I think there are plenty of situations and circumstances in this country where black people are victim of unfair discrimination or pigeonholing. Having said that, I think the immediacy and global nature of online media these days almost projects injustices elsewhere onto the citizens of this country. We are a long long way from the housing projects and systemic cycle of poverty that exists for black people in the USA.

I am all for the situation being highlighted and addressed. I don't think taking a knee or pushing the BLM organisation logo to the forefront is the way to go though.
DaggerJoel11

This taking the knee has been at behind closed doors matches. I doubt it'll happen when crowds return as it probably won't go down too well.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Dagdale

The name alone sounds discriminatory and as mentioned elsewhere no country has done more opportunity than this one to make an equal path and to be given a chance for all races here to prosper, but I am increasingly getting to the stage where I feel very uncomfortable that all our history and what we were all about in a very good and positive light is strictly ignored and blown away, never used to be like this and feel its gone weigh to far and add to it anything in the modern world attached with race and the debate becomes 'doctored'. Maybe I'm living in a time warp but many immigrants I've got to know want to know more about our culture and are so pleased these shores gave them a good opportunity and standard of living, but you just never hear that do you?
davei

Sadly, the history of "Great Britain" does not fit the current media objective. It's even worse here in North America...…….
Chalky69

I cannot see how the current trend of" bowing the knee" helps to serve the purpose of of removing racism. If any thing the actions of the BLM campaign and its members have alienated those of us who are not racist and are entirely against it. D&R have stood foursquare against racism and I, for one, am entirely against the 'bowing the knee" charade being played out before out matches. When D&R play I see them as 11 players, the colour or religion has no bearing on how I see them. I guess the final decision lies with the National League but as a season ticket holder of D&R, lets get on with the game!
bloke down the pub

BLM is a political organisation. Might as well sing the "Red Flag" before kick-off, and put the tory logo on the kit.
Ally Fraser

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53762379

They would get the same reaction here if fans in attendance
rebeldagger

Ally Fraser wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:16 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53762379

They would get the same reaction here if fans in attendance
Not from me.

If some one feels they should kneel down then so be it. Really wouldn't effect the game to be fair or take anything away from my enjoyment of watching the match.
Chigwellian

Anyone know if the teams bent a knee ?