Retained List Due Soon

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
WelshDagger15

With the retained lists from clubs due out soon can anyone tell me if the list below is correct?

The following players are the ones I have found who's contracts I believe are up at the end of June 2020;

Gabriel Zakuani
Alex McQueen
Emmanuel Onariase
Angelo Balanta
Bagasan Graham
Liam Gordon
Chike Kandi
Harold Odametey
Will Wood
Luke Croll
Harry Phipps
Will Wright
Matt Robinson
Andrew Eleftheriou
Joan Luque

This is one long list and considering the current pandemic issues could we even afford to replace half of these?

Thanks all in advance
Diggerthedog

My Views on each player.

Gabriel Zakuani - No thanks, too injury prone.
Alex McQueen - No thanks too inconsistent
Emmanuel Onariase - Yes please offer a contract
Angelo Balanta - Contracted until 2022
Bagasan Graham - Bye.
Liam Gordon - Yes please
Chike Kandi - Too inconsistent.
Harold Odametey - Hard one, can we offer a contract given the injury and if there is a new lack of budget?
Will Wood - No thanks, don't see him getting a contract
Luke Croll - Yes offer a new contract
Harry Phipps - Yes offer a new contract, dont think he will be offered one.
Will Wright -Yes very versatile, offer a new contract
Matt Robinson Yes offer a new contract
Andrew Eleftheriou - Not sure, did not get a fair crack for a run of games. Don't see him getting a new contract.
Joan Luqu - Miles Weston has a contract so he will be gone, both of similar ability in my view.
Mark

I'd keep Gordon, Manny, Croll, Robinson, and possibly Phipps and Eleftheriou. I think in all likelihood though several of those will go.
DaggerJoel11

Many teams have already published a retained list, some quite a while ago.

In our case: Wright, Gordon, Manny, Croll, McQueen, Kandi, Graham, Robinson, Phipps, Wood, Luque, Zakuani, Eleftheriou and Odametey are all out of contract. A lot of those we can dispense with and personally I'd only make an effort to keep a few.

Gordon, Manny, Croll, Robinson, Phipps, Eleftheriou. Maybe Kandi, maybe Wright although he's been second choice under McMahon. The rest can go.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
DevonDagger

Yep it's very difficult to put together a retained list without some clarity from the owners regarding the level of decline in wage budget.

That aside, the goal was to put together a side capable of promotion, if that remained the intention I would go with:

Wright - Keep, good squad player who has improved
Gordon - Keep
Manny - Keep
Croll - Keep unless he's a high earner
McQueen - Release
Kandi - Release, every end of season he gets the benefit of the doubt, perhaps rightly, but for a team looking to go up, not proven good enough
Graham - Release
Robinson - Keep
Phipps - Keep unless he's a high earner
Wood - Release
Luque - Release
Zakuani - Keep/Release, would want to know injury situation and the level of wage requirements. Good player for this level but a risk
Eleftheriou - Keep
Odametey - Release

There's a few on contract too that I hope if another club would be interested in their services, I'd be fine with it endeing early
EssexDagger!

What’s taking the club so long to announce the list? Most clubs in our division have published theirs and even announced some new signings for next season (whenever that will be)

I also noticed Stevenage have recruited Dover’s top scorer.. they obviously want some players who know the league to get back up first time of asking.
Mark

I guess our owners aren't happy to play roulette and start paying loads of players when we might not have any income until September or later.

Clubs like Stevenage are in a fortunate position in that they apparently only had 7 players under contract and 3 of those are 2nd year pros who probably earn next to nothing. Also they are funded by Lamex and sold 300k worth of shares to supporters last season to raise more funds.

We, meanwhile, are stuck with some high earners of questionable ability. We've had to refund lots of bookings for our facilities, we haven't had any matchday income through the turnstiles or bar, and some of our ongoing costs have been unavoidable eg fixing the pitch.

I expect we want to keep some of our better out of contract players, and are asking them to hold on a bit until we can afford to recontract them. If they find a club willing to start paying them now, I imagine they'll jump ship.
NBDag

They still haven’t announced when the season will restart so what is the point in doing any contract negotiations right now? We can go and offer Manny or Croll, who will be bigger earners, contracts now but is it worth it if they decide to start the season in January (hypothetically)? Aside from those two and maybe Robinson/Odametey, I can’t really see the others being snapped up by a national league team in the period between July and whenever the season starts. I am assuming of course that Gordon is already going elsewhere.
Lcbdagger

NBDag wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:30 pm They still haven’t announced when the season will restart so what is the point in doing any contract negotiations right now? We can go and offer Manny or Croll, who will be bigger earners, contracts now but is it worth it if they decide to start the season in January (hypothetically)? Aside from those two and maybe Robinson/Odametey, I can’t really see the others being snapped up by a national league team in the period between July and whenever the season starts. I am assuming of course that Gordon is already going elsewhere.
Can't see that anyone other than Gordon would be considered by a team upwards of the National League. Personally can't see the wish for fans to keep hold of the likes of Wright or Eleftheriou if neither is a guaranteed starter for a top 3-5 team in this League and we are fundemtnally looking at costs that would mean keeping a squad of the most important players for the interim to stop major financial issues ahead
Daggernewbie

Diggerthedog

Daggernewbie wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:43 pm Here you are have a read of this.
https://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.u ... -1-6716060
Season will start at some point, hope we don’t miss out offering contracts we want to keep if they go somewhere else if a club is offering wages sooner. Sure there will be some sort of announcement this week on players 100% leaving, they will want to find a club ASAP.

Be interesting to know the terms on contracts other clubs are now signing, is or a case of wages will start 1 month before season does or right away? Stevenage I guess will be right away as guaranteed parachute payments regardless of what happens.
Mark

I think the clubs offering deals now are just gambling. Seen some conf south clubs sign players with it starting in August but think that will be the minority.

Be interested to know who the 13 players are that Thompson mentions. We have ten by my count, plus an option on Gordon. Who are the other two?
Diggerthedog

Update from the club - https://daggers.co.uk/news/-MAuZc--ninyNQzOU-dJ

No news on players leaving.
HGDagger

Any news on players being released? Their contracts were due to expire 3 days ago
Diggerthedog

HGDagger wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:10 pm Any news on players being released? Their contracts were due to expire 3 days ago
Guess as we're not offering contract at the moment we cant confirm who's leaving.