Season Closuer Nearer

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
RampantDuke

As I understand it, the main reason for the National Leagues to make a decision at this point is so that they can end contracts on 30th April, as is usual in non league, so that they don't have to pay players throughout the summer. This definitely applies to the part time clubs and would also be applicable to players who are ending their contracts at the end of this month. If that's the case then the play offs are a complete non starter. There is also the issue around fitness - I have heard players on the radio saying that it would be dangerous to play full on matches straight after a long lay off without some kind of pre-season. On top of all of that the chances of crowds being let into football stadiums before next season is slim. For all of these reasons it is highly unlikely that the play offs will happen. More likely that if they do push forward with the usual promotion/relegations then the team in 2nd in the National League after PPG might be promoted. Seems fair to me. My argument with any club that starts bitching and moaning that this isn't fair is that they should have been better for the other 3/4 of the season. In Scotland a few clubs kicked off for about a day and made some lame claims about legal action but the publicity on that was disastrous (ask Spurs about what happens in this climate when you are seen to be making bad PR decisions) so they have all backed off and accepted it. Same would probably apply here. It's not the right time for football clubs to be making an entitled fuss. I just hope that next season can start as close to August as possible.
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
Diggerthedog

Right decision has been made, no one deserves to go up or down for an incomplete season. I really can’t see at this stage the new season starting on time in August let alone games being played to complete this one.
Lcbdagger

Absolutely agree on people saying Barrow were far from promoted given their recent situation and games left... Chorley at the bottom however :ermm: :grin:
RampantDuke

Diggerthedog wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:27 am Right decision has been made, no one deserves to go up or down for an incomplete season. I really can’t see at this stage the new season starting on time in August let alone games being played to complete this one.
I think you are right on both counts but Scotland seem to have set some kind of precedent by acting swiftly and decisively. By and large the relegated clubs have swallowed it without much fuss so I think that the English leagues will see that as a good way to resolve s difficult situation and push on with average PPG. They might just have to completely forget the play offs (also what they have done in Scotland).

See you all in 2021.....
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
Diggerthedog

With the financial implications I hope we have a league to play in next season, many won't survive so long without football being attended.
BB-Dagger

Diggerthedog wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:06 am With the financial implications I hope we have a league to play in next season, many won't survive so long without football being attended.
This is the potential problem, but I think it’s inevitable that changes will be happening as teams will be folding in the lower leagues
Mark

I'm not sure it's as bad as that. I believe fixed term contracted employees can now be furloughed with no prospect of any matches, eg players.

Then the majority of players at the majority of clubs are out of contract in either 5 or 9 weeks.

Given there is no income, you would hope that clubs will collectively see some sense and not sign any players until the start date of the next season is made clear. Of course you'll have the odd club who wants to throw money around and hoover up the free agents, and probably the gap between money clubs and everyone else will only grow in this period.

Obviously wages aren't the only outgoing but they are a huge part of it, so hopefully clubs can survive this now there is more certainty about the current season.

If next season has to start behind closed doors, well new contracts will surely be on lower wages across the board in all leagues, because clubs can't afford to pay the current rates. Again, money clubs will win out but at least we should still have football to watch.
ThatRoundThing

What I can see happening in the future of lower league football is doom and gloom initially but the end result should benefit the game.

I think some clubs will go under (Rhyl already have). I think many clubs will return to or go part time and average pay scales of managers, coaches and players could drop almost one League level. For example National League South pay would be about what Ryman Premier is now.
Coaching staff will be trimmed back to basics doing away with fitness coaches, dieticians and recording of individual player performances.

More and more players if they are sensible and plan for the future i.e families, will want to go part time.Lots of jobs will be lost throughout the UK and people will be competing for those that are left. It could see the end of National League and below players being instantly propelled into a job where they expect quality cars, watches and designer clothes etc. I think that football at our level will become a “normal job” with pay reflecting that.

I have to agree with Gary Neville that lower league players should be considering a career changes, higher education or learning a trade, getting a full time job in football will be harder to find and hopefully greedy agents at our level will be a thing of the past.
Diggerthedog

ThatRoundThing wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:19 am What I can see happening in the future of lower league football is doom and gloom initially but the end result should benefit the game.

I think some clubs will go under (Rhyl already have). I think many clubs will return to or go part time and average pay scales of managers, coaches and players could drop almost one League level. For example National League South pay would be about what Ryman Premier is now.
Coaching staff will be trimmed back to basics doing away with fitness coaches, dieticians and recording of individual player performances.

More and more players if they are sensible and plan for the future i.e families, will want to go part time.Lots of jobs will be lost throughout the UK and people will be competing for those that are left. It could see the end of National League and below players being instantly propelled into a job where they expect quality cars, watches and designer clothes etc. I think that football at our level will become a “normal job” with pay reflecting that.

I have to agree with Gary Neville that lower league players should be considering a career changes, higher education or learning a trade, getting a full time job in football will be harder to find and hopefully greedy agents at our level will be a thing of the past.
F*uck Neville and what he thinks, he was paying a player £5k a week at this level last season he is part of the problem clubs have to pay way beyond their means. Our win up there last season was so sweet.

Their accounts seem that they spent £3m above what they did not have last season to go up, almost £6m n debt. Make Forest Green look like saints.

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0891 ... financials
ThatRoundThing

Diggerthedog wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:38 pm
ThatRoundThing wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:19 am What I can see happening in the future of lower league football is doom and gloom initially but the end result should benefit the game.

F*uck Neville and what he thinks, he was paying a player £5k a week at this level last season he is part of the problem clubs have to pay way beyond their means. Our win up there last season was so sweet.

Their accounts seem that they spent £3m above what they did not have last season to go up, almost £6m n debt. Make Forest Green look like saints.

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0891 ... financials
Totally agree with you re Neville and similar owners but that was then up to the pandemic. I was just thinking ahead and how much the game regarding clubs and players is going to change. Clubs that are left will financially be on their knees.
Diggerthedog

You're very right on that point, I see many simply not surviving or if they do very weakened teams on the pitch as a result. Sad really as most clubs at this level are community clubs .
ARNU

As I've said along, cancel season, no ups or downs go again when it's safe to do so.

That is the least controversial and easiest way to do it.

Only top 2 will be moaning with 22 other clubs being happy to go again.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Lcbdagger

ARNU wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:03 pm As I've said along, cancel season, no ups or downs go again when it's safe to do so.

Been mentioned elsewhere, but if Leagues are effectively Voided and we start again (potentially up to the Premier League) with no relegation or promotion, where would this leave Bury?
BB-Dagger

Lcbdagger wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:38 pm
ARNU wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:03 pm As I've said along, cancel season, no ups or downs go again when it's safe to do so.

Been mentioned elsewhere, but if Leagues are effectively Voided and we start again (potentially up to the Premier League) with no relegation or promotion, where would this leave Bury?
I’ve mentioned this earlier in this thread and now it’s starting to happen around Europe, the Dutch have now voided their league and according to friends I have in Spain it looks possible there as well apart from La Liga 1.

As for Bury.. as far I can see they are starting in some tin pot league up t’north! Gives an opportunity for our spineless league leaders to choose a team to promote through nominations, and I would bet that place would go to notts county. Just my opinion
NBDag

Lcbdagger wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:38 pm

I don’t get how it’s an issue in the EFL. It’s not the usual, but it’s not an issue if league one starts with 23 teams. The same relegation/promotion set up that would have happened this year can remain. Everyone still plays an equal amount of games so no one is getting an unfair treatment.

As for Bury rejoining the leagues, there may be a collapsed team they can replace if feasible. But if not they are joining as a brand new team and I’d imagine, no different to any other new team formed, if there isn’t space for them at the time then they can wait until there is. Doesn’t matter who they once were.