Season Closuer Nearer

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mark

I'm a bit confused why clubs haven't furloughed players, at least not that I've seen. I guess they want to be able to mandate their fitness rather than allowing them to sit on the sofa all day, but it's incredibly expensive when there's no income.
ThatRoundThing

I have seen from various sources on Twitter today that emails have already been sent to EFL clubs recommending that clubs should be preparing for a mini preseason commencing May 16th. It is then proposed to restart the season on the weekend of June 6th. Matches played behind closed doors with possible live streaming. Finish the remaining season in 56 days.
It has also been reported that the 2 Borrusia clubs have just resumed training.

Is all this just pie in the sky and is this even possible? Anyone else read anything similar?
Mark

It is possible I think but not for the national league.

I guess the EFL must have been given some inkling that isolation will be eased in May, otherwise it's just more conjecture on their part. I'm not sure why the players would be allowed to play contact sport and travel round the country when the rest of us are locked down though.
Auntie Merge

Maybe we should settle it with all games played via Football Manager.
ARNU

We're looking at a further 3 weeks at least lockdown. Even then this disease won't be gone.
I don't think there'll be any football for a year. Just because you close the doors doesn't mean the players are immune. Police and medics are needed elsewhere.

Cancel the season. It's over !!
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
DevonDagger

A complex situation, but the more the NL (and others) dither and indecisively decide to pass the buck to biased participants for a vote, I have no confidence they will find an effective solution.

First to be clear. Season is done. No further play should take place, there's not the schedule to fit it in, in line with starting a new season. The only answer is finishing the season early or cancelling it.

There's lots of dates being thrown around, but I would love to see the basis of those anticipated dates. Some seem to think end of lockdown means we go back to absolute normality. They may get kids back to school but those who think the season will start again in say June, are likely to be disappointed in my opinion. They may well allow football to restart/resume, but this will quite possibly be behind closed doors, which I believe has been previously considered a financial worst case for non-league clubs and perhaps a couple divisions above as gate receipts pay the wages.

With all the above considered I believe the logical thing to do, apologetically, is cancel the season and HOPE we are able to start a new season again as normal in August (although personally I like the idea of playing through summer and stopping for winter, but that's a different, long conversation entirely!)

I have only really read headlines in the NLP etc, but I'm sure I've seen Ian Evatt and/or Barrow claim it's in effect done and dusted so they should be promoted. Frankly if they're serious, that's a staggering statement albeit perhaps understandable. I don't believe they can be promoted on the grounds they are 2 games of dropped points from being overtaken.
Lcbdagger

DevonDagger wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:21 pm A complex situation, but the more the NL (and others) dither and indecisively decide to pass the buck to biased participants for a vote, I have no confidence they will find an effective solution.

First to be clear. Season is done. No further play should take place, there's not the schedule to fit it in, in line with starting a new season. The only answer is finishing the season early or cancelling it.

There's lots of dates being thrown around, but I would love to see the basis of those anticipated dates. Some seem to think end of lockdown means we go back to absolute normality. They may get kids back to school but those who think the season will start again in say June, are likely to be disappointed in my opinion. They may well allow football to restart/resume, but this will quite possibly be behind closed doors, which I believe has been previously considered a financial worst case for non-league clubs and perhaps a couple divisions above as gate receipts pay the wages.

With all the above considered I believe the logical thing to do, apologetically, is cancel the season and HOPE we are able to start a new season again as normal in August (although personally I like the idea of playing through summer and stopping for winter, but that's a different, long conversation entirely!)

I have only really read headlines in the NLP etc, but I'm sure I've seen Ian Evatt and/or Barrow claim it's in effect done and dusted so they should be promoted. Frankly if they're serious, that's a staggering statement albeit perhaps understandable. I don't believe they can be promoted on the grounds they are 2 games of dropped points from being overtaken.
Fascinated to see where this particular League goes in terms of potential promotion and relegation decisions if the League is called as of today's date...

Realistically Chorley could have no arguments if they were relegated but even 2nd bottom Fylde have 2 games in hand on 4th bottom Ebbsfleet...

The four points that Barrow are ahead currently (a very small number with the amount of games left) is the same difference between Ebbsfleet and 16th place in the League.

Seen a lot of talk about the only real way to end the League being for Barrow to go up as they have 'consistently been the best team in the League' but they aren't winning by 15 points.

If we have a vote it will surely be just like Scotland where the bottom few teams will vote depending on how the League plans to take forward any proposals to end the season, as will Barrow... 90% of the other teams will have no interest in continuing and vote accordingly.
Dag82

One idea that could keep those at the top end happy.....

Finish the season now via PPG Table, promote Barrow as Champions, but then go ahead with the Play offs.

Play offs only take 2 weeks, with the NL one off games system, so only a small window required.

Would at least give a deserved chance to all those clubs to gain promotion, without affecting the majority below, who just want to call it a day.

For me, Chorley would be only ones relegated, as there a mile behind anyway.

Just an idea, but probably far too logical to be considered !!.
DevonDagger

Dag82 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:47 pm One idea that could keep those at the top end happy.....

Finish the season now via PPG Table, promote Barrow as Champions, but then go ahead with the Play offs.

Play offs only take 2 weeks, with the NL one off games system, so only a small window required.

Would at least give a deserved chance to all those clubs to gain promotion, without affecting the majority below, who just want to call it a day.

For me, Chorley would be only ones relegated, as there a mile behind anyway.

Just an idea, but probably far too logical to be considered !!.
Can see the thoughts of this but can't help feel players contracts will have expired well before any such event would be able to take place.
dagger4eva

I've just seen that clubs have until the deadline of 7th May to get their votes in .. that's still almost 3 weeks away. Why on earth is this being dragged out until then, I've no idea!!

The BBC says they found 10 want the season to end immediately, four want it to continue, nine are undecided and one refused to answer.
Mark

The four are deluded and should be ignored. Why can't the league board show some leadership. They are just passing the buck to avoid any comeback.
Kevin

Mark wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 am The four are deluded and should be ignored.
Relegate all four of them! Solves that particular dilema...

I read in a DaggerJoel blog that we are a brilliant team now that Daryl MacMahon is boss, which I think is a good enough reason for us to have the automatic promotion spot.

To keep us company, maybe Barnet could come up also - providing their stadium isn't still underwater.

Sorted :blink:
Diggerthedog

dagger4eva wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:35 am I've just seen that clubs have until the deadline of 7th May to get their votes in .. that's still almost 3 weeks away. Why on earth is this being dragged out until then, I've no idea!!

The BBC says they found 10 want the season to end immediately, four want it to continue, nine are undecided and one refused to answer.
The league is tinpot always has been always will be, just when the rules on social distancing could start to be relaxed they’re still having votes and meetings.

Season needs to be voided, there is no other option and the teams in good positions just need to suck it up. Barrow were far from promoted hit a bad patch in form, just lost their best striker for a string of games and have tough away games to finish up with, promoting them would be unjust.
Dag82

Would be good to understand why it takes until 7th May, to have a first stage vote, there will then be options of what to do, so that
makes no sense, with a view to possibly finishing the season.

With ref to Barrow, yeah fully agree that it was far from done for them, personally fancied Notts County to come thru, at the time games
stopped, but let's be honest, we would screaming for this to be played out, if we were in there position.

Going straight into a play off situation now, with no relegation, would be acceptable to at least 75% of the NL Clubs ??.
Don Beech 3

Season Over

National League clubs vote to end season immediately

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52381612