Season Closuer Nearer

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
VIEW FROM THE STAND

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52189058

To open, me being a techno idiot, I had to highlight then right click
"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"
BB-Dagger

Unfortunately this is inevitable isn’t it!
In this current situation I cannot see any mass gatherings until late summer, even if next season starts on time there will still be restrictions on crowds. Desperate times for clubs like ours.
Dag82

For what it's worth, here is my prediction......

Stevenage will be reprieved in L2

Barrow will be promoted to L2 (on PPG)

Chorley will be relegated. (on PPG)

Wealdstone promoted from NLS (on PPG)

Kings Lynn promoted from NLN (on PPG)

All play offs scrapped.

Which gives us 24, and we hopefully start again, probably in LATE August, in order to allow a proper pre-season.
ARNU

I've said this all along, it still makes sense to just cancel the season.
It is the route of least resistance.
Can you imagine any scenario that doesn't leave any clubs moaning??

It's only tough luck for the teams that would have gone up. The vast majority would be fed up but relieved they stayed in the league.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
SUSSEX DAGGER

Hope everybody is well . Keep safe so when
this nightmare is over we all come back stronger for this.

My worry is that whatever decision the league makes it will be open to a legal challenged

Therefore it will be pointless starting anything new as a court may rule in a certain way that may mean the new season may have to be stopped.

The Court may also stick an injunction on the League making the start of a new season not possible .

Given when a Court date could,be found to listen to any legal arguements puts another spanner in the works
Kevin

I'm certainly no legal expert.

However, I did watch LA Law as a kid.

I think any legal challenges would be in the form of applying for monetary compensation - cannot see any historical precedent that would lead to stopping a future season's competition in lieu of a court case.

Whilst I agree with Arnu in that there really isn't a solid option other than to declare the season null & void - I can see a number of clubs going the shape of the pear, which could potentially lead to some movements across the leagues.

That said, the only certainty at the moment is uncertainty.. :blink:
Dag82

Kevin wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:22 pm I'm certainly no legal expert.

However, I did watch LA Law as a kid.

I think any legal challenges would be in the form of applying for monetary compensation - cannot see any historical precedent that would lead to stopping a future season's competition in lieu of a court case.

Whilst I agree with Arnu in that there really isn't a solid option other than to declare the season null & void - I can see a number of clubs going the shape of the pear, which could potentially lead to some movements across the leagues.

That said, the only certainty at the moment is uncertainty.. :blink:
The league are playing it quite clever though aren't they.

Putting the decision to a vote amongst the clubs, whilst at the same time pressuring them to take up there advice, to end the season now.

This way, they can say later, when any possible legal challenges come, "It was a vote, nothing to do with us"
Mark

It seems some clubs don't want the season to be ended. This is despite there being no date in sight where matches can be played again. What do they expect? It's just bloody mindedness and self interest. It's possible we could complete the season in the month of July but nobody will have a squad. It they ask teams to extend player contracts, some clubs won't afford it and some players won't want it. It'll leave the money clubs to hoover up all the talent and then probably put them straight in the team. Could see some pretty drastic changes in the table if that's allowed to happen.

If the games can't be played before the end of May it has to be called off, and there's no hope of that happening imo. Then it's just left to decide if we go for a PPG final table or just void it. Far more clubs will vote to void I would imagine.
Dag82

PPG table for Promotion, would be the fairest option for me.

No play offs & No relegation.

Vote is of course a joke really, as most clubs best interest, with only 8 or 9 games to go, is to call it off, so that
is what they will do.
Mark

Barrow still had Harrogate, Halifax and Yeovil away to come. I think it would be pretty unfair to crown them champions on an unfinished fixture list. They could easily lose all those.
Dagger83

PPG is probably the fairest way to finish the season however it's not perfect by any stretch, as Mark points out. Imagine having the bottom 8 still to play compared to another team having the top 8 to play.

I still think making it null and void is the only logical conclusion to all this. It's shit for those at the top and probably too lenient on those destined to drop but anything else isn't based on a level playing field.

I'll be interesting to see what they do next year. Perhaps split the league in to two if it's a shortened league, north and south. Save clubs having to incur extra travel costs and facilitates the fewer number of games. Chuck in an extra cup competition if there's a bit of spare time.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
DaggerJoel11

It's an interesting debate and one that will never amount to an outcome which suits everybody. Nobody knows what would've happened in the final six weeks of the season but one thing that's guaranteed is that the final league table is never how it is in the middle of March so there would've been several twists and turns. Naturally, teams at the top want the league played while those in and around the bottom four want it scrapped.

PPG is better than writing off a season that's 80% finished but obviously it doesn't take fixture difficulty into account and assumes the league would continue on the same trend that it has up until this point. For us, that would mean our performances under Taylor contribute heavily to our average whereas in reality we are a different team and would likely surpass that average. It also means teams like Ebbsfleet and Fylde would place very low however both of those were in great form before the league suspension and would've had a great chance of staying up.

Personally I feel that Barrow would've gone up so if promotion is honoured they have to be allowed to move into League 2. I quite like the idea of one up from each of the National North/South divisions determined by a one-off play-off game between the top two. Then just two go down from our level, Chorley and the one of the two sides directly above them, maybe decided by a play-off too. There are many problems to this of course but at least it means that every team's efforts over the past 37-or-so games would've counted for something.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
NBDag

It’s not reasonable to determine the table by something like PPG or how it stands now. There are too many things that need to be factored in that probably can’t be measured reliably.

It’s not reasonable to play the full season out (currently) due to the contract issues, the part time element of the league, the next season’s start date and many other components such as the basic awareness of the pandemic.

It’s also not reasonable to cancel the season as clubs have made investments in their team over the past year with a view to receiving a higher league finish and the money that comes with it. Clubs would probably also have other financial commitments that were made off of the reasonable assumption that they would receive a full season’s worth of gate receipts and other match day income.

Fact is there isn’t from where I’m standing a way to move forward from here. Whatever happens there will someone who has been screwed over. If there is a way to help the clubs financially then I would say let’s cancel the season. But I don’t know if there is anything outside of the govt schemes to do this? Also not sure whether the govt schemes are enough for money pits like football clubs!

It’s all very confusing and worrying indeed.
BB-Dagger

This whole situation is unprecedented and whatever the way forward there will be some clubs that whinge and complain, some with good reason and some just for the sake of it to try and screw more money out of someone else!
But the bigger picture is a more relevant.. people are dying..people are loosing their jobs.. the future is uncertain for older vulnerable people and the future is uncertain for the young in society who have families to support and homes to pay for!
As much as I love my football and the Daggers sport is a bit of a sideshow in life and I’m hoping that whatever decision is made by the authorities is accepted without argument by all clubs no matter what league, but unfortunately you will always get the big rich clubs wanting to screw over the minnows in order to secure another penny.
Diggerthedog

Makes sense to cancel this season and move on to the next one. Clubs can claim on the furlough scheme for the next few months and will then have season ticket income to keep them running through the summer. Any further delays to the decision will result in further uncertainty.

I don’t remember anyone feeling sorry for us when we got cheated by Boston, both leagues never helped with that so I don’t see why anyone should be promoted on a incomplete season, a global epidemic is a little more easier to swallow.