Fans Forum Thursday 3rd October 2019

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Auntie Merge

The club have confirmed there will be a Fans Forum on Thursday, 3rd October with
Peter Freund and Craig Unger present.

Details: https://www.daggers.co.uk/news/-LpTvTBAUjTJimU62LpY

[NB I’m working that evening so you’ll need to rely on others to report the discussions.]
Mike the Dagger

Good meeting last night. The Dave Andrews Suite was standing room only, I'd guess 200+ people there.

Takeaways from the session:

- Peter Taylor knows what he's doing. He answered all questions asked of him fully, sensibly and with a lot of humour. We are still aiming at least for the playoffs. He knows we are a couple of players short probably and we are continuing to look for the right players to add to the squad. He talked about individual players, formations and his various selection dilemmas. My own view is we are lucky to have him, others may disagree ;)

- Peter Freund and Craig Unger remain committed 100% and are in it for the long haul. Improvements are being made slowly because they can't be all done at once. They want to make the place look more welcoming and "professional" and ensure it is self funding going forward so we don't end up back where we were when they took over.

- The old club shop in the temporary building will be gone in the next 6 weeks or so, the space will be used for car parking. The remainder of the clubhouse will be clad to match the extension, and the back of the Carling will be also painted to match this. The new club shop looks pucker, and there are some decent new bits in there, the sweatshirts especially look great.

- Next up they are looking at an electronic ticketing system and sprinklers for the pitch. Commercially the club is moving forward with improved social media and the new Commercial manager looking at bringing in additional revenue. The Daggers Trust is also very active in local schools etc and tasked with boosting the clubs exposure and trying to attract the next generation of fans.

- The white shirts are a temporary solution to wanting to move to Nike kit, as the "off the shelf" red and blue Nike kits weren't suitable. They are in discussions for a custom red and blue kit for next season (which if I heard right will be stripes). Tim Howard is a Nike ambassador. Once his contract with Colorado Rapids is up (sounded like the end of 2019) he will be able to do much more with Sports Holdings for both Memphis 901 and D&RFC.

- The only negative in the whole evening was the discussion over the supporters club volunteers and free entry to games. Peter Freund made his views known fairly forcefully (to solid applause from the majority there) and hopefully this is now shut down.

- There were no questions about toilets, beer quality or catering in the ground. :clap:
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Thanks for the summary Mike. Interested in your views on PT. I am still unsure if he always knows what he's doing; what gave you the impression that he did ?
lupins

AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:15 am Thanks for the summary Mike. Interested in your views on PT. I am still unsure if he always knows what he's doing; what gave you the impression that he did ?
Because he explained his thinking on all matters asked without hiding and was very honest in his comments and assessments. I would imagine that honesty translates to the players.
Just one reason they seem a tight group
Also I dont think he has favourites and though he said he sometimes hears the crowd groan at some decisions that does not affect his decisions.
And I would say he hasnt made many bad signings so can pick a player and bearing in mind this is the third team he has had to put together in 18 months I agree fully with Mike
Its also very refreshing to hear his thoughts rather than answers couched in manager speak
Mike the Dagger

lupins wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:50 am
Because he explained his thinking on all matters asked without hiding and was very honest in his comments and assessments. I would imagine that honesty translates to the players.
Just one reason they seem a tight group
Also I dont think he has favourites and though he said he sometimes hears the crowd groan at some decisions that does not affect his decisions.
And I would say he hasnt made many bad signings so can pick a player and bearing in mind this is the third team he has had to put together in 18 months I agree fully with Mike
Its also very refreshing to hear his thoughts rather than answers couched in manager speak
^^^^ This ^^^^
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Fair play lads. Good stuff.
canveydagger

Mike the Dagger wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:34 am Good meeting last night. The Dave Andrews Suite was standing room only, I'd guess 200+ people there.

- Peter Taylor knows what he's doing. He answered all questions asked of him fully, sensibly and with a lot of humour. We are still aiming at least for the playoffs. He knows we are a couple of players short probably and we are continuing to look for the right players to add to the squad. He talked about individual players, formations and his various selection dilemmas. My own view is we are lucky to have him, others may disagree ;)

- Peter Freund and Craig Unger remain committed 100% and are in it for the long haul. Improvements are being made slowly because they can't be all done at once. They want to make the place look more welcoming and "professional" and ensure it is self funding going forward so we don't end up back where we were when they took over.

- The old club shop in the temporary building will be gone in the next 6 weeks or so, the space will be used for car parking. The remainder of the clubhouse will be clad to match the extension, and the back of the Carling will be also painted to match this. The new club shop looks pucker, and there are some decent new bits in there, the sweatshirts especially look great.

- Next up they are looking at an electronic ticketing system and sprinklers for the pitch. Commercially the club is moving forward with improved social media and the new Commercial manager looking at bringing in additional revenue. The Daggers Trust is also very active in local schools etc and tasked with boosting the clubs exposure and trying to attract the next generation of fans.

- The white shirts are a temporary solution to wanting to move to Nike kit, as the "off the shelf" red and blue Nike kits weren't suitable. They are in discussions for a custom red and blue kit for next season (which if I heard right will be stripes). Tim Howard is a Nike ambassador. Once his contract with Colorado Rapids is up (sounded like the end of 2019) he will be able to do much more with Sports Holdings for both Memphis 901 and D&RFC.

- The only negative in the whole evening was the discussion over the supporters club volunteers and free entry to games. Peter Freund made his views known fairly forcefully (to solid applause from the majority there) and hopefully this is now shut down.

- There were no questions about toilets, beer quality or catering in the ground. :clap:
Mike i was there last night and was standing up and from my view there was a solid applause for what Peter said to Russell but i would not say it was the majority of people if you can prove it was the majority then i will hold my hands up and say i was wrong. but i guess you can't prove it.
NBDag

Sounds like we might finally be getting close to a fans forum completely absent of any pettiness. Might have to go to the next one to see it for myself.
Alan

canveydagger wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:59 pm
Mike the Dagger wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:34 am Good meeting last night. The Dave Andrews Suite was standing room only, I'd guess 200+ people there.

Mike i was there last night and was standing up and from my view there was a solid applause for what Peter said to Russell but i would not say it was the majority of people if you can prove it was the majority then i will hold my hands up and say i was wrong. but i guess you can't prove it.
I’m guessing that neither of you can prove what you perceived to the satisfaction of the other.
Mike the Dagger

canveydagger wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:59 pm
You are of course quite correct, it wasn't a show of hands or a secret ballot, just a lot of applause and seeing the reaction of the people immediately around me.

What was your view of that particular discussion?