Today

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
HGDagger

We started the day in 6th, after a disappointing game and arguably our worst performance of the season, we kept a clean sheet with 10 men and Kenny Clark off early, stretched our unbeaten run to 10 games, moved up to 5th and a point closer to 1st place Bromey. Really puts this league into perspective.
CrownDagger

Poor going forward today but will take the point and the unbeaten run continuing. Really impressed with Odamatey when he came on would love to see him and Phipps in midfield. Never a penalty happened right in front of where i was sat Croll clearly got the ball first.
NBDag

Think I’ll start off with a quick apology to those who were standing around me as when their 3 floored Wrighty my language turned appalling. But those officials were disgraceful.

We just weren’t at it yesterday and I don’t get what we were missing, but everyone was off colour. If it wasn’t for the penalty save I wouldn’t have known who I’d make MOTM. I think we were lucky to draw and we need to have a proper look at ourselves after that match. Chorley are a very poor team that will be relegated come Christmas, and I for one will be cracking the champagne when it is confirmed. We’re lucky our off day was against a team that were not good enough to punish us for it.

As for the ref, absolutely appalling. Their 3 should have been sent off for 2 bookable offences in the Wright incident. What his booking was actually for I’d love to know. Was it for the time wasting where he carried the ball 30 yards up the pitch or was it for the trip on Wright? Can’t have been for both combined or he’s a bigger moron than imagined.
DaggerJoel11

This was the first game this season where a team didn't actively attack us and instead decided to put everyone behind the ball, inviting us to try and break them down. It was effective on the day but made for a very frustrating and dull encounter, as a result there was no space for our creative players to exploit. As much as we had an off day going forwards, my only gripe with the performance was that we weren't patient enough with our progressive build-up play and seemed to resort to direct balls that played right into the hands of their imposing defensive unit.

This result is disappointing on paper but when we were down to ten men and facing a spot-kick (having not saved one for over two years), in that moment we'd have all accepted a point. Not sure about the referee's decision as I was at the other end but the miscontrol from Manny in the first place was shocking.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Dag82

Well fully called that performance was on the cards, we never seem to turn up for "should win" games.

They were first to most of the second balls, and fully deserved something out of the game, in my opinion.

Only plus point for us, was how hard we worked the last 20 mins to hold onto the point, Robbo was absolutely outstanding again.

As has been said before, we need more goal threat up top, they had 2 CBs who looked like Sunday League pub players, yet had a pretty comfortable afternoon.

I thought at the time, that it wasn't a penalty, but having seen it again on BT last night, there guy just beats Croll to the ball, toe poked it past him, then Croll slides into him, the guy makes the most of it, with a big over the top dive, but yeah, it was a penalty, as Croll none of the ball.

Anyway 10 unbeaten, and onto Barnet.
leewilson

Diggerthedog wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:52 pm
Mark wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:37 pm Too many players didn't play well today and we never looked like we had the tempo to stretch a team willing to play with a flat back 5. Luque was dire, Dobson largely anonymous, Balanta not his best day either. We could probably have afforded to go 433 earlier.

McQueen I thought did well first half but the trouble is when he bombs forward in a midfield 2 and we lose the ball, we are wide open to the break. Phipps is showing against by his absence how key he is.

Having said how badly we played, we missed 2 excellent chances and would have won the game if we were more clinical.

Grant for me didn't actually run around enough! Only on for 20 minutes and he didn't seem to be emptying the tank, I wanted to see the defence made to rush. In general I don't think he's very good, he's just nuisance value, very little quality when he gets the ball.

I've wanted to see Manny and Croll play together and it didn't really pan out how I'd hoped with the red card! Not sure on the pen, need to see a replay.

Referee was appalling.
Not sure what your expecting from Grant, 3 mins after he came on we went down to 10. Quigley on the other hand had 70 against the poorest defence in the league, bar a brace in 14 games he does very little with his size, even today against a fat man he was very poor.
This. Some very harsh comments on Grant. He comes on in the 67th minute and we're down to 10 by the 71st. Bar one header (which he should have scored), Quigley contributed very little and was quite sloppy at times with holding up the ball. It does appear that if those around him are off their game a bit, he isn't good enough to surge the team forward. When Balanta and Luque are on it, Quigley comes into the game much more. Yesterday was crying out for someone to run in behind the Chorley flat back 5. Grant should have been on at half time. You just have to watch the Sutton highlights to see how he stretched their defence.

Also though Taylor made the wrong change when Croll got sent off. We seemed to try to play a front two and expect a shattered Balanta to be the transition between the defensive and attacking effort. As much as I love him, Balanta should have made way with Luque, who wasn't having his best game but seemed to link better when he came central, as the transition man.
dagger4eva

From where I were stood (right in front of the penalty incident) it looked like an absolute stone-waller.

All things considered, I wasn't too disappointed to have had an off day and still walked away with a point.

Barnet seem to be going through a bit of a shitty time recently so lets hope we can up our game and follow Saturday up with another 3 points.

Must say, I was a bit surprised with the crowd announced as just 1212 (1158 home with 54 away)

It definitely looked like a slightly larger than usual attendance, up near the 1400-1500 mark. Not that it confirms it too (clearly), but Luque even tweeted that it was good to see the crowd getting bigger every game. Then they announce the 3rd lowest total attendance of the season. Maybe we've employed Diane Abbott as turnstile manager.

Still, at least we have some-one on hand to spy who comes in and out of the ground at half time to spend money in the clubhouse. :innocent:
DevonDagger

Having only watched the highlights, bar the penalty I thought we looked the more likelier to win it but those who were there will have a much better idea over the whole 90 than I.

Luque missed a great opportunity and a second inviting one both of which he should have done better with, likewise with Quigley's close range header and maybe to a lesser extent Will Wright's chance.

Looked a little bit like the Torquay game, chances but no clinical finish.

Can't really make my mind up with either of Croll's bookings, looks possible he could have got the ball on both/either but the ball doesn't deviate a lot from it's original path, so it's hard to tell on the video.
dagger4eva

Must've been a fun & entertaining couple of weeks as a Chorley fan, since visiting us at the end of September....
Attachments
20191014_063302.jpg
IanC

Indeed Paul I had a little chuckle Saturday about that,guessing their desperate to stay up.Although in the long run too many draws won’t be enough