Chesterfield (A)

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DaggerJoel11

7 points from our last 9 marks our joint-best form of 2019, which we'll be looking to continue as we head to struggling Chesterfield this weekend. Them and Chorley are the only sides yet to taste victory this season so on paper it's a good time to play them, however there's the feeling that it's only a matter of time before they get out of their slump. We definitely can't underestimate them, they've got a good manager at this level in John Sheridan and their squad certainly isn't bottom-four quality.

They've scored nine goals to our ten, and conceded thirteen goals to our twelve - so there's not that much in it, plus Chesterfield will be boosted by the return of strikers Tom Denton and Anthony Spyrou who are reportedly both in contention to make their first starts of the season. In regard to our team news, Chike Kandi is the only player unavailable, but we'd hope that Taylor will stick with the side that turned the game around against Yeovil.

They've scored six goals at home, we've scored three away. However, they've conceded twice in each of their home games, only picking up a single point at the Proact and that was a come-from-behind draw against Barrow on Monday. Our away form is mixed, with one win, a draw and a defeat on our travels recently.

COYD
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Dagdale

Knew we'd wouldn't be so lucky to not have Denton back as that towering lamp post always seems to cause havoc against us, still we must be a fair bit more confident now under a few good results but still lays at the back of my mind could they rise to this game and give their fans a much needed boost at last. Really beginning to enjoy watching our two midfield generals, Luque and Dobson even if subs changing games, Justham as normal on great form and reckon Mitch Brundle starting to shine think we're be in for a good game and weather holding well can't wait to sample again that lovely ground, Come on boys lets sit in the play offs by 5!
Diggerthedog

Be great if we could take a win, Bromley game looks a tough one as they’re on fire. Point won’t be enough for Taylor who himself wanted 16 points from 8 games.
Daggerfan

It’s 1-1 and there under pressure from Chesterfield.
Dagger83

Decent point that. I know they're towards the bottom and winless but I expect them to be in the play offs at least come May.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Oxhead

Yes a good result but it’s frustrating we don’t
seem able to hold a lead or keep a clean sheet
Diggerthedog

Don’t agree with all this nonsense about they’ll be up there end of season, if they get beat Tuesday they could be 19 points behind the leaders. You have to win games at teams who are in poor form and the fact we changed formation to stop Chesterfield is ridiculous, moving players to unfamiliar positions is also very frustrating.

8 games in and I can only see a mid table finish unless the manager can pick a formation and stick with it, all this chopping and changing each games is not helping anyone.

We now need to win Wednesday to keep pace.
Dagger83

Diggerthedog wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:40 pm Don’t agree with all this nonsense about they’ll be up there end of season, if they get beat Tuesday they could be 19 points behind the leaders. You have to win games at teams who are in poor form and the fact we changed formation to stop Chesterfield is ridiculous, moving players to unfamiliar positions is also very frustrating.

8 games in and I can only see a mid table finish unless the manager can pick a formation and stick with it, all this chopping and changing each games is not helping anyone.

We now need to win Wednesday to keep pace.
If we played the same every week there'd be people complaining he's not flexible enough and not adapting to other teams and how they set up (one of my major gripes with JS).
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Mark

I think in his last spell, John was a bit too intent on sticking to his plan of effectively 424 and it meant we let in a lot of goals. However, I think if we'd got a more solid 433 or 442 going and stuck to it, we'd have had success.

I don't necessarily think 352 is too bad for us, it was the right formation to stop Boreham after they played us off the pitch for half hour, and it was probably the right formation to stop Chesterfield. But the personnel he picks in the system I don't really agree with, and it seems to be different players every time which is so frustrating.

I think having the ability to switch between 442 and 352 depending on the situation in the match is fine, but I'd like to see the same players being chosen to fit. Today was more like a 343, other games it's more like a 532.

At home generally I'd like us to play 442 unless the opposition particularly demands 352. I'd like him to stop faffing with the left and right backs. He needs to pick between Wright and Eleftheriou and he needs to start Gordon every week. Luque has to play on the left and McQueen has to play on the right.

I get the feeling he tries to pick the players he thinks deserves to play, and then tries to shoe-horn them into a system. He knows that Croll and Manny deserve to play on form, so Croll ends up at left back half the time where he isn't as comfortable. If the players don't fit what you want to do, you need to make tough choices. For me, that means leaving out Clark who has made so many errors so far this season. Some of them may be quite small, but when looking at the highlights I've had him at fault for several goals and plenty more chances where Justham has saved him.
Keane - Blog writer

POINT GAINED; OPPORTUNITY MISSED?

My report from today’s game which left many with conflicting emotions. Was it a point gained? Was it two points lost?

READ BELOW ⬇️

http://www.diggerdaggermatchday.com/201 ... d.html?m=1
DaggerJoel11

For the second Saturday in a row, I am utterly perplexed that we've somehow ended a game with our goal under siege, when by half time we looked so comfortable and seemingly heading for a convincing victory. As has been a recurring problem this season, we failed to kill it off and capitalise at the points where we were really on top.

It wasn't a bad result, nor was it a bad performance, but it's definitely two points dropped. Chesterfield were there for the taking and their fans turned against them on many occasions throughout the game. Regardless of whether they may or may not be a play-off side by the end of the season, today they were a struggling team in the bottom four and we should've finished them off.

However it's four games unbeaten and at times we were very good today, albeit we went to the opposite extreme in the last half hour. Now we have two games against two early pace setters, Bromley and Maidenhead, which will provide a good insight into where we're at.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
SUSSEX DAGGER

Good point and sounded like Chesterfield could have no complaints if we held on . Another 5 minutes as it sounded on the radio that the faithful were turning and it could have made all the difference .

Be glad to get that first clean sheet as I am sure that will give everybody a bit more confidence. Seem to be creating plenty .if play offs are target then just turning a couple of these draws in to wins will see us get there you would hope
EssexDagger!

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:39 pm For the second Saturday in a row, I am utterly perplexed that we've somehow ended a game with our goal under siege, when by half time we looked so comfortable and seemingly heading for a convincing victory. As has been a recurring problem this season, we failed to kill it off and capitalise at the points where we were really on top.

It wasn't a bad result, nor was it a bad performance, but it's definitely two points dropped. Chesterfield were there for the taking and their fans turned against them on many occasions throughout the game. Regardless of whether they may or may not be a play-off side by the end of the season, today they were a struggling team in the bottom four and we should've finished them off.

However it's four games unbeaten and at times we were very good today, albeit we went to the opposite extreme in the last half hour. Now we have two games against two early pace setters, Bromley and Maidenhead, which will provide a good insight into where we're at.
Agreed that the next 2 games are going show us where we are really at, in terms of season expectations, both Maidenhead & Bromley have made solid starts to the season with the latter the only team who still remains unbeaten in the NL.. also Maidenhead after losing 2 of their best players (Harold Odametey & Adrian Clifton) Alan Devonshire has done a brilliant job rebuilding his side over the summer.
Obviously 6 pts would be the target for us especially if one of those games we are live on BT Sport, but I’d be more than happy taking 4pts from the next two and stretch our unbeaten run to 6 games..
Easier said than done though!

COYD!!!
IanC

100%