Dover Tuesday

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
EssexDagger!

Why did Luque get hooked on 70 minutes? He was our best player and tearing Dover’s back 4 a new one?
Shaun (D&R)

Some reflection and thoughts from last night’s game:

Positives

• Much better attacking display with some good movement and passing in spells. It’s clear we have much stronger technical players this year who are comfortable on the ball. However, I’m not sure we played to our strengths.
• Luque looks like he could be a star at this level. He has a great touch, pace, skill and also helped Graham throughout the game defensively. He needs to be starting every game.
• Following on from that, Graham had a very good game at left-back and defended admirably. At Woking, he tried a bit too hard at times, attempting a few penetrating attacking runs which didn’t really go anywhere. He looked much more comfortable at LB last night.
• Balanta and Grant will clearly be a handful for defences this season. Grant’s energy and closing down was brilliant when he came on and Balanta used his skill to great effect for the penalty.
• Croll and Clark grew into the game and had a very good second half dealing with Dover advances after being bullied in the first half and giving away some sloppy free kicks in dangerous positions.

Negatives

• Quigley gives me a lot of concern. He once again was non-existent for most of the game. His work-rate couldn’t be questioned and he did show some decent technical ability towards the end of the game, but while I’m not expecting a Connor Wilkinson clone, he failed miserably as a ‘target’ man who will hold up the ball and build attacks and win aerial duels – he always seems to be one step behind and is also clearly very slow. It’s only two games in, and a run of games will give us a better indication, but, contingency planning needs to be happening now if the promotion pledge is to be taken seriously.
• Taylor’s style – despite us looking much more technically gifted this year, we seemed hesitant to play the ball on the floor at times. When we did, we were excellent. Dobson, Brundle, Luque, Balanta all look very comfortable with the ball and when we are in the last 3rd, we are very dangerous.
• Taylor’s tactics – It didn’t cost us, but, taking off our 2 best players with still 20 minutes to play was a very risky move. While I didn’t disagree with the substitutions itself as way of seeing off the game, it was too early. We invited pressure onto us and other teams would have punished us. We need a change of mind set if we truly want to be doing something in the top half at the end of the season. They were there for the taking to get a 3rd.
• We definitely missed Odametey’s bite in midfield. Robinson had a decent game, but they were given a lot of space to ping the ball about and get the ball into dangerous areas.

I’m probably at the risk of sounding very negative after beating a side that was 15 games unbeaten – albeit including pre-season – away from home, but, I came away with similar concerns as I did at Woking and would contend that some of the superlatives and words describing the performance are a little over the top.

I’m also judging the performance within the context of a club who has received recent investment and raised expectations by making a - misjudged IMO - claim to be promotion contenders, rather than one that leans towards the gloomy situation we were in last season.

Halifax will be provide better answers for where we are going, a team predicted to be relegated who have had a fantastic start. Will be very interesting to see how we compete.

Always good to see Daggers win away!
Richie

Not got too much to add, most has been said above.

But I thought that Balanta worked harder than I think he has ever done for us, was great to see. Luque was superb for us, but the best player on the pitch was the Dover left-back, whipped in numerous great balls. Perhaps Dobson and Andy (no chance with surname) could have done a little more.
Mark

If Graham is going to continue at left back does that mean Gordon is now third choice? Or just not ready due to the Gold Cup?

On the right I would agree Dobson is unlikely to give Eleftheriou much help but McQueen was woeful on Saturday so hopefully he sticks with last night's wingers.

I'd be inclined to give Quigley a bit more time.
DaggerJoel11

My take on last night. Views appreciated.

https://dagnificent.weebly.com/blog1/th ... -daggers-2
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
HGDagger

Still need another striker. Looks like Quigley can't do the job. We'll see where we are in the coming weeks how this squad will be this season, and how much affect Peter Taylor will have.
leewilson

Mark wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:21 pm If Graham is going to continue at left back does that mean Gordon is now third choice? Or just not ready due to the Gold Cup?
If he is 3rd choice, it's ridiculous. I'd assume it's because of the Gold Cup though.

Really when you consider that we have Gordan, Graham and Croll who can play left back, it begs the question of why we bothered signing Will Wood. We really do not need two players for every position. Many of our players are versatile enough to fill in in different areas if need be. Should be a squad of 17/18, not 22/23.
Mark

I think most of us agree with you on that Lee.

McQueen can fill in at right back, Croll can fill in at left back, Brundle can fill in at centre back. We also have 3 centre forwards when we only play with 1, and a plethora of wingers. Loans can be used if we get a terrible injury crisis.
LondonDagger

Shaun (D&R) wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm Some reflection and thoughts from last night’s game:

Positives

• Much better attacking display with some good movement and passing in spells. It’s clear we have much stronger technical players this year who are comfortable on the ball. However, I’m not sure we played to our strengths.
• Luque looks like he could be a star at this level. He has a great touch, pace, skill and also helped Graham throughout the game defensively. He needs to be starting every game.
• Following on from that, Graham had a very good game at left-back and defended admirably. At Woking, he tried a bit too hard at times, attempting a few penetrating attacking runs which didn’t really go anywhere. He looked much more comfortable at LB last night.
• Balanta and Grant will clearly be a handful for defences this season. Grant’s energy and closing down was brilliant when he came on and Balanta used his skill to great effect for the penalty.
• Croll and Clark grew into the game and had a very good second half dealing with Dover advances after being bullied in the first half and giving away some sloppy free kicks in dangerous positions.

Negatives

• Quigley gives me a lot of concern. He once again was non-existent for most of the game. His work-rate couldn’t be questioned and he did show some decent technical ability towards the end of the game, but while I’m not expecting a Connor Wilkinson clone, he failed miserably as a ‘target’ man who will hold up the ball and build attacks and win aerial duels – he always seems to be one step behind and is also clearly very slow. It’s only two games in, and a run of games will give us a better indication, but, contingency planning needs to be happening now if the promotion pledge is to be taken seriously.
• Taylor’s style – despite us looking much more technically gifted this year, we seemed hesitant to play the ball on the floor at times. When we did, we were excellent. Dobson, Brundle, Luque, Balanta all look very comfortable with the ball and when we are in the last 3rd, we are very dangerous.
• Taylor’s tactics – It didn’t cost us, but, taking off our 2 best players with still 20 minutes to play was a very risky move. While I didn’t disagree with the substitutions itself as way of seeing off the game, it was too early. We invited pressure onto us and other teams would have punished us. We need a change of mind set if we truly want to be doing something in the top half at the end of the season. They were there for the taking to get a 3rd.
• We definitely missed Odametey’s bite in midfield. Robinson had a decent game, but they were given a lot of space to ping the ball about and get the ball into dangerous areas.

I’m probably at the risk of sounding very negative after beating a side that was 15 games unbeaten – albeit including pre-season – away from home, but, I came away with similar concerns as I did at Woking and would contend that some of the superlatives and words describing the performance are a little over the top.

I’m also judging the performance within the context of a club who has received recent investment and raised expectations by making a - misjudged IMO - claim to be promotion contenders, rather than one that leans towards the gloomy situation we were in last season.

Halifax will be provide better answers for where we are going, a team predicted to be relegated who have had a fantastic start. Will be very interesting to see how we compete.

Always good to see Daggers win away!
Very helpful summary this. Quigley is a concern but i'm hoping he just needs to find his feet in order to hit the ground running? or am i just living in false hope!?