NL: Chesterfield (A) 9 September 2023

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

A S dagger97 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:56 pm Thought we went about the game the right way and executed the plan very well in the first half and Chesterfield were clearly not completely at the races. They meant business from the start of the second half though and got the early red card which paired with the goal aswel meant we were there for the taking and so it proved. Phippsy clearly is good in CB but he'll has had multiple reds since he's been playing there and lacks the discipline in key moments which costs us a lot of points. Eastman looks a lot more composed and natural at the back but I feel Strevs might still stick with Phippsy when they are both available again but all depends on the formation we play with. Was a long trip for many but i wouldn't say it was an awful performance and on another day we could of gone away with a nice point.
Good assessment. Ok Phipps red cards are becoming a problem but we had the lead at 70 minutes in no small part to what i thought was an outstanding contribution by both Phipps and Travares.

Really would have liked to see Sid have a go for the last 20 . Kendell had ran his race by then and we needed a presence with a bit of speed up top. Kendell was running around a lot but was tottally ineffrctive once again. Chesterfield are a very good team but that defence to me looked very suss and that change would not have made us any poorer.

All in all the best team won but i am certain of one thing the bravest team lost.

Unlucky lads but in my opinion you did us proud and on another day would have least earnt a very good point
ARNU

Phipps is a great prospect but let's not be under any illusions, he cost us the game,we'd have been 7 th if we'd have won. Eastman is the better of the two by far. I hope he's fined big. He's been sent off a few times now. Dont matter how good he is if he's not on the field.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
SUSSEX DAGGER

ARNU wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:40 pm Phipps is a great prospect but let's not be under any illusions, he cost us the game,we'd have been 7 th if we'd have won. Eastman is the better of the two by far. I hope he's fined big. He's been sent off a few times now. Dont matter how good he is if he's not on the field.
The shame about it is that they scored from the resuting free kick and the sending off became pointless in that regard. Still not convinced i saw a foul that prevented a goal. He still had a lot to do.
Big worry still has to be our inabilty to score goals. Nothing up top except a lot of running around by Kendell ,Tomlin like style Arnu. Just disappointed we did not give Sid 20 minutes , tried something diffrent .
Diggerthedog

The one things that sticks out like a sore thumb from yesterday despite the lad’s magnificent effort is we need a striker and quick, if we don’t address that quick is will be another wasted season. Kendall does well but he’s just not going to get the goals in a side that plays direct, we need someone bigger physically.
DaggerJoel11

A really tough one to take. They were always going to dictate the play throughout but, until the critical sending off, we had them exactly where we wanted them and maybe even could have sprung a second on the counter attack.

Not sure about the red card, Tavares was covering over on the far side but might not have got across quick enough to prevent Grigg from getting a shot off. Either way, to call it a guaranteed clear goalscoring opportunity requires a degree of assumption.

We didn't even get a moment's respite to regroup with the resulting free-kick going straight in. From that moment, it was always going to be incredibly tough yet the manner in which we gifted the penalty was immensely frustrating. The lad was going away from goal and could only realistically deliver into the box - the intervention from Clarke was needless and braindead.

The third happens as a result; very poor from Justham, just like the equaliser to be honest.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
BB-Dagger

Couldn’t get to the game but watching the highlights I thought the sending off was a bit harsh, and at the resulting free kick I thought the 2 man wall left Justham exposed, at least make it difficult for them, also looks like the player took a dive for the penalty, biased I know but still cheating northern bastards!
Diggerthedog

Think the ref just about gets it right on the sending off, Tavares was that bit too far away to get involved, yet the striker still has a lot to do to score from that angle. We should do much better with the resulting freekick, an extra man in the wall form that range and EJ will be disappointed not to have kept it out having got there. The penalty was a very clumsy tackle from the kid, player was going nowhere so should not have even gone near him. The game was on the edge at 1-0 to us, we should have done better with a couple of breakaways and scored from at least one of them. Massive game this Saturday now.
DaggerJoel11

🔴🔵 An afternoon that turned disastrous in an instant, when Daggers lost a man then their lead in quick succession, before all remaining resolve crumbled in stoppage time as a galvanised Chesterfield smelt blood.

↪️ 𝗠𝗮𝘁𝗰𝗵 𝗥𝗲𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁 - https://dagnificent.weebly.com/match-re ... edbridge-1
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Dagthat44

Lcbdagger wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:08 pm
A S dagger97 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:56 pm Thought we went about the game the right way and executed the plan very well in the first half and Chesterfield were clearly not completely at the races. They meant business from the start of the second half though and got the early red card which paired with the goal aswel meant we were there for the taking and so it proved. Phippsy clearly is good in CB but he'll has had multiple reds since he's been playing there and lacks the discipline in key moments which costs us a lot of points. Eastman looks a lot more composed and natural at the back but I feel Strevs might still stick with Phippsy when they are both available again but all depends on the formation we play with. Was a long trip for many but i wouldn't say it was an awful performance and on another day we could of gone away with a nice point.
My only worry about Eastman coming back is the possibility of us going to a back 3 and wing backs again... this formation works for us
Agree, Eastman and Tavares could be that center back pairing that makes the difference. I think Phipps has been excellent at points, but he is extremely rash. Although i think the red is harsh in this case, he's a walking red card usually and gets away with a fair few. He gives the ref a decision to make which is the issue. If he just guides him out wide, where Grigg was heading, then we dont have this conversation and we get something out of the game.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Diggerthedog wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:20 am The one things that sticks out like a sore thumb from yesterday despite the lad’s magnificent effort is we need a striker and quick, if we don’t address that quick is will be another wasted season. Kendall does well but he’s just not going to get the goals in a side that plays direct, we need someone bigger physically.
Clearly obvious to me as well DTD . If only we had EFFIONG or a player of his type think we woukd have got a result. You cant knock Kendell effort but we needed somebody to hold it up as it kept coming back. Totally ineffective i am afraid despite his imense effort. Thats why i was surprised Sid was not slung on. At least he has the physical presence that Kendell lacks and has far more pace to exploit balls down the channels.

One thing i am certain of he would not have made us any worse because Kendell would not have scored if he was still there now
Dagthat44

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:28 pm A really tough one to take. They were always going to dictate the play throughout but, until the critical sending off, we had them exactly where we wanted them and maybe even could have sprung a second on the counter attack.

Not sure about the red card, Tavares was covering over on the far side but might not have got across quick enough to prevent Grigg from getting a shot off. Either way, to call it a guaranteed clear goalscoring opportunity requires a degree of assumption.

We didn't even get a moment's respite to regroup with the resulting free-kick going straight in. From that moment, it was always going to be incredibly tough yet the manner in which we gifted the penalty was immensely frustrating. The lad was going away from goal and could only realistically deliver into the box - the intervention from Clarke was needless and braindead.

The third happens as a result; very poor from Justham, just like the equaliser to be honest.
I think harsh blaming the goalkeeper for the equaliser? Third yes definitely needs to do better, but i think the 1st is never his fault.
Mark

The GK sets up the wall and he set it up wrong. Maybe it is harsh but these are the fine margins that games hinge on.
A S dagger97

Mark wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:38 pm The GK sets up the wall and he set it up wrong. Maybe it is harsh but these are the fine margins that games hinge on.
A GK of Justhams experience and ability should be dissapointed not to have done better with it, that's maybe not the case for a slightly lower quality keeper in the league
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

Or in Dagenhams case, Terribly!
DaggerJoel11

Dagthat44 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:35 am
DaggerJoel11 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:28 pm A really tough one to take. They were always going to dictate the play throughout but, until the critical sending off, we had them exactly where we wanted them and maybe even could have sprung a second on the counter attack.

I think harsh blaming the goalkeeper for the equaliser? Third yes definitely needs to do better, but i think the 1st is never his fault.
It's not a glaring howler but he gets a strong hand, in the only area where Colclough could realistically have struck it. He would back himself to do better there.
Dagthat44

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:06 pm
Dagthat44 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:35 am

It's not a glaring howler but he gets a strong hand, in the only area where Colclough could realistically have struck it. He would back himself to do better there.
Really? He is in the perfect position to whip that across goal. He could strike it to the far corner, or he could go over the wall.