Friendly: Hornchurch (A)

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Lcbdagger

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:45 pm GK: Justham ↪️ Strizovic (46')
LWB: Hill ↪️ Weston (46')
LCB: Johnson ↪️ Phipps (46')
CB: Eastman ↪️ Trialist (46')
RCB: Ling ↪️ Longe-King (46')
RWB: Hare ↪️ Ling (46')
CM: Trialist - Lawless
CM: Vincent
CM: Rees ↪️ Trialist - Smith (46')
LS: Ibie
RS: Effiong ↪️ Blair (46')

90 minutes for Ling, Vincent, Ibie and the trialist Lawless. None for: Tavares (again), the exiled Mussa, reportedly outgoing Onariase, and trialist Page who is believed to be injured.

Hare and Weston were impressive, especially the latter, but part of a limited number in that regard as it was quite a poor performance whereby we didn't look remotely creative or threatening from open play.

Results in pre-season are of course immaterial but certainly plenty of take-aways for Strevens nonetheless.
First game of the season for us today, but just on that 90 minutes I can't see how we can look to limit the games Weston plays for us... a million times more creative when he came on than anyone else on the team.

Didn't see much of Ibie today but conscious he scored twice previously... could do with a pre season goal from Blair to build some confidence
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Anyone ITK tell me what’s going on with Manny ? Unusual no one would have picked him up by now based on how good (I, possibly overrating him, think) he is
Diggerthedog

Manny purely being shifted due to budget,
Clearly being paid a handsome some which’s Strevs could use on a couple of decent players. Unlike Mussa was told to come back to pre-season until he finds a club. Heard he may now have found somewhere, no idea where.
NBDag

Could he be trialling elsewhere, which could be why he’s not in our matches? I’d definitely rather him over the centre back trialist from yesterday, though.
BB-Dagger

I’d be not only very surprised if the centre back trialist was offered a contract but I would be very concerned about the coming season, he was slow, clumsy and his distribution was poor. As for the rest of the game I’m not sure just what was achieved from our side, most players only played half a game and even then there didn’t appear to be too much effort, the condition of some Hornchurch players was astonishing, were they sponsored by Greggs or Mac Donald’s?? But they won because they had more desire, admittedly the conditions didn’t help us but all in all in just confirmed the reasons I don’t normally go to pre season friendly games, and £10…..
DaggerJoel11

''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
RayleighDagger1986

Yesterday's matchday squad highlighted the need for another forward, winger and midfielder to bolster an unbalanced team.
Diggerthedog

Looking at the current squad there is a lot of work for Strevs to do, senior players currently on the list.

2 x Goalkeepers
8 x defenders (including Manny)
6 x Midfielders (including Mussa)
2 x Strikers

In those numbers you have Tavares who is made of glass, Ibie and Blair who lack game time at this level and the two transfer lifted who probably won’t be here.

I reckon we’re at least 6 senior players short of a squad needed for 50+ game season at this level, can’t rely on kid loanees to see us through.

York, Eastleigh, Woking, Boreham Wood, chesterfield, Oldham, and Barnet have on first look all improved their squads, going to be a much more competitive league next season.

Massive three weeks ahead, will we get enough quality in to be in the mix because if not it might be a very long season. I’d like the club to be honest about what’s happening to the budget, Strevs needs to be given a chance because if it’s a massive cut which looks and sounds the case he won’t get any slack from fans with the continued promotion/play off talk if the budget is for a lower mid table.