Friendly: Romford (A)

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
McLeansvilleAppFan

Looking up this club they are a big drop down the football pyramid. What do we expect to gain from this match?

What would be considered a bad showing, such as at least 6-nil? Would any scoring by Romford be considered a losing effort?
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
Diggerthedog

These games are about fitness more than results and trialing players that may sign, unless we start getting hammered don’t read too much into them.
Dagthat44

Players will be getting 45 minutes each for the first couple maybe 3 pre season games. It is about building up football fitness with teams local to you, then maybe 1 or 2 that will give you a test. If it was competitive, what can West Ham seek to get out of their game against us?
Mark

From listening to Strevs interview, he is still trying to set standards now. If we concede a goal he will be fuming I bet.
Diggerthedog

Totally agree, Strevs comes from a time when you worked your balls off first and this back to basics should weed out the the lazy and already has to some extent. Clearly a massive budget change going on, which is not a bad thing but I’m not expecting much next season, anything close to this season or higher would be an unbelievable achievement.
Lord Snooty

Yes McLeansville, Romford are quite a way down the Pyramid these days. I remember when I first started going round to Victoria Road back in the 60’s when they were the local big boys – top of the Southern League and all that. Barking were also top dogs flying high in the Isthmian league and looking down on ‘little Dagenham’.
I know that these clubs – both now in the Essex Senior League - have been through hard times and have had a fair share of mismanagement and bad luck but it does go to show that fortunes can change quickly and profoundly especially in something as volatile as lower league football.
Onwards and upwards you Daggers!
Lcbdagger

Fitness indeed, but we won the game against Barking at their ground a few years ago 6-0 at the slowest of canters so you would hope we have a few goals in us against a side like Romford.

Would be interesting to see, for anyone who attends both games if we have the same trialists involved... Aware it doesn't assist us naming them but I've seen no mention of who the centre back might have been that played for us against Aveley.

Hoping Payne at LB/ LWB is still training with us and we get a chance to offer him something concrete.
len

Lord Snooty wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:22 am Yes McLeansville, Romford are quite a way down the Pyramid these days. I remember when I first started going round to Victoria Road back in the 60’s when they were the local big boys – top of the Southern League and all that. Barking were also top dogs flying high in the Isthmian league and looking down on ‘little Dagenham’.
I know that these clubs – both now in the Essex Senior League - have been through hard times and have had a fair share of mismanagement and bad luck but it does go to show that fortunes can change quickly and profoundly especially in something as volatile as lower league football.
Onwards and upwards you Daggers!
My recollection of seeing Romford playing in the 60's as a kid was being impressed by their big stadium which was called the brooklands , situated near the bus garage in Romford . They were also attracting crowds in the region of 2500 at that time whereas I think we were getting perhaps 600 . As you say they were in the Southern league which far higher than us but when they sold that ground the money disappeared and they have been nomads more or less since then.
steeevooo

I wasn't at the game, but I'm sure I've seen mentioned in a couple of places that the CB might have been Miquel Scarlett - no idea if that's the player that you're referring to though!
jag

I remember visiting Brooklands back in the sixties when Romford played against A very strong Arsenal team I can not remember the score but there was no being slaughtered on the day.
DaggerJoel11

The centre back is this fella also seen in the recent training video as above. Not Scarlett judging by google images. Wasn't particularly impressive though, frequently misreading the trajectory of the ball and giving away fouls.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Lcbdagger

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:06 am Image

The centre back is this fella also seen in the recent training video as above. Not Scarlett judging by google images. Wasn't particularly impressive though, frequently misreading the trajectory of the ball and giving away fouls.
Worried that was going to be a photo of Yoan Zouma in disguise :tongue:
BB-Dagger

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:06 am Image

He’s not exactly looking very fit is he?
Lcbdagger

Interested to see the formation and positions today from anyone in attendance... unsure from the starting XI online if Weston is wide left in a 352 or if he's playing further in attack?

Any news on the trialists again?
DaggerJoel11

GK: Justham | Strizovic
LWB: Trialist (Page) | Hill
LCB: Onariase | Johnson
CB: Eastman | Trialist
RCB: Longe-King | Phipps
RWB: Hare | Ling
CM: Trialist | Terry
CM: Franz | Trialist (Smith)
CM: Vincent | Rees
LS: Weston | Ibie
RS: Effiong | Blair

The trialist midfielder from the first half (didn't play against Aveley) was very good. Notwithstanding the calibre of opposition, he bore all the hallmarks of a technically impressive footballer with a great touch and movement.

Sydney Ibie was equally impressive, his two immaculately-dispatched goals exuding real confidence. Page was good again on the left-hand side, on one occasion putting in a sumptuous cross. It's clear to see he would be a cut above at National League level.

Overall we weren't as sharp as Saturday and it was a closer game, certainly considering the four division gap, than the scoreline suggested. It was only the final half hour where our quality came to the fore no doubt aided by fatigue on their part, instigated by fresh legs against them. Though definitely a valuable workout.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''