Great News!

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
len

The team with the ridiculously huge budget over the last two seasons have now surprisingly been promoted despite spending 15 years struggling to get out of this league prior to the new owners splashing their cash. What this has hopefully done for the rest of us, is that it will be a more level playing field next season. Not sure how much the new owners have spent to get them to this position, but it must be several million pounds, which seems an obscene amount of money at this level. Not sure if there are any rules or regulations regarding budgets but in view of this perhaps there should be. I would also like to see Notts County promoted as to a lesser degree I'm assuming their budget must also be extremely high and that is aside from getting more than 100 points so are deserving from a football point of view.
We can now hope that things can now return to a more 'normal' setting next season, rather than the circus and media attention just fixated on one club.
Diggerthedog

Whilst they’ve spend silly amounts it’s probably a similar percentage of turnover to what we spend, difference is they’re not run by a dinosaur. Commercial they’re levels above what we’ve done which has allowed them to spend. What’s actually changed at the club in 5 years? New shop and boardroom, everything else is the same and according to one player the training facilities are now worse.

Waiting for a statement from the owners before I part with my hard earned season ticket cash.
Saturdays home game was a chance to promote season tickets but we did absolutely nothing despite the attendance of several youth football sides, club shop still had a poster of upcoming games FFS.

To build something you need a business plan and there never has been one, just chuck money at bad managers and then not even sack them when failing miserably.

Before moaning about Wrexham look at little closer to home.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

len wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:07 am The team with the ridiculously huge budget over the last two seasons have now surprisingly been promoted despite spending 15 years struggling to get out of this league prior to the new owners splashing their cash. What this has hopefully done for the rest of us, is that it will be a more level playing field next season. Not sure how much the new owners have spent to get them to this position, but it must be several million pounds, which seems an obscene amount of money at this level. Not sure if there are any rules or regulations regarding budgets but in view of this perhaps there should be. I would also like to see Notts County promoted as to a lesser degree I'm assuming their budget must also be extremely high and that is aside from getting more than 100 points so are deserving from a football point of view.
We can now hope that things can now return to a more 'normal' setting next season, rather than the circus and media attention just fixated on one club.
Agree with most of this !! Not sure if anyone else has had bloody loads of people asking what they think about Wrexham because we support a team in the same division but in general I am happy they've gone up. I was a bit tired of the hash tag narrative around it and they were so clearly better than everyone else here (believe they've won every game except one at home this season, and I was at the 0-4 at our place earlier this season to see first hand how good they are), that next year would have been the same old had they not gone up. Agree I would like to see County go up, I've not followed them closely but they have a big squad and a gate of 16,000 the other week. Just looking at the table they are also well clear.

The next five in the league are Chesterfield, Woking, Barnet, Bromley and Borehamwood - someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure we've finished above all of them at least once in the last few years, certainly the middle three - this gives me hope that the playing field will indeed level next season and it'll be much easier to be able to string results together. I look too at Scunny and Oldham who've just come down and have made little to no impact at the top end of the NL, makes me think the gap is getting even thinner and that Rochdale might struggle next year too.

My long shot chance for even more optimism is this - does anybody else think that this season's title race might lead to more substantial calls for more promotion places from our league ? I believe it has to be ratified by the EFL which is unlikely but I'm wondering if this at least might get a few glances from further up the food chain. In addition to things like more games on TV, teams like Altrincham going pro, and all that fuss about not paying injured players ... might it influence the powers that be to have the EFL take over the NL completely and have a division three ? Maybe that's a bit pie in the sky but I think that would be great for the overall structure of this league, which to me often feels a bit like it's held together with sellotape.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Don't know what happened to the wage cap that was being touted about 18 months ago.

Do get your point tho DTD . We probably invested money big money ok not as much as Wrexham but still a large amount.

Wrexham Gates increased 400% we averaged 150 at most. Think we are now seeing that our American friends have very limited knowledge of British football and this call for their own man to be installed would only lead to one thing. He would be advising them to get out ASAP .
NBDag

County will go up in the playoffs and yes the league will 100% be so much more competitive next season. But no this isn’t good news for us as we will be nowhere near any race. Other teams, poor teams, like Barnet, Eastleigh, Southend and Woking are making progress so quickly whilst we are going the other way. What on earth do we have to make us believe next year will be any better?

Yes we have a new manager who should be better. But it’s clear that the Americans don’t know enough about what they’re doing to get the right change at the club. Although they do seemingly know enough to know they should stop pumping millions in each year.

Next season we will be bottom half comfortably with the way things are going. But yes it’s good news for the clubs that have half a clue.
Lcbdagger

NBDag wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:32 pm County will go up in the playoffs and yes the league will 100% be so much more competitive next season. But no this isn’t good news for us as we will be nowhere near any race. Other teams, poor teams, like Barnet, Eastleigh, Southend and Woking are making progress so quickly whilst we are going the other way. What on earth do we have to make us believe next year will be any better?

Yes we have a new manager who should be better. But it’s clear that the Americans don’t know enough about what they’re doing to get the right change at the club. Although they do seemingly know enough to know they should stop pumping millions in each year.

Next season we will be bottom half comfortably with the way things are going. But yes it’s good news for the clubs that have half a clue.
Very much with this view... In theory we can easily have a decent run next season and be near the playoff places, but if we are talking about anything up to 15 new faces coming in to supplement this season's squad (and the main guys staying all being part of a poor defence the past two or three seasons) it will be entirely luck rather than judgement that leads us on a decent run. Unless Aaron Blair comes in and pulls up trees or Effiong scores 20+ goals, anything else is entirely reliant on the squad we bring in over the summer.

If we are looking at at least one new striker, a whole new midfield and wide players who can get the ball in to the front guys, we have no idea how this will look right now... Who are we signing over the season's end that is a decent standard but isn't looked ta by a Southend, Barnet, Boreham Wood etc... We got excited this season about Mussa and stealing him ahead of Southend, and rumours are he is already off
Mick Dagger

I thought I read the National League play offs are reducing to just a 4 team format next season.
SUSSEX DAGGER

You never know with a new film studio being built only yards from the ground we might one day entice an actor or two with more money then ability to splash a bit around our Club.

There is a reason our Club ,which with the best will in the world is a backwater in the football pyramid , was so appealing to our Owners.
len

I sincerely hope that the owners have not lost interest in the club, however, they may have reduced the amount of budget being allocated next season we will have to see. It is in reality, a thankless task owning a football club and one that is most likely to end in failure and or become a lot more costly than planned. The last couple of seasons because of the positive talk of aiming for the playoffs, optimism amongst fans has therefore been one of reasonably high expectation. I know some will say that you can also be successful without a large budget and I would agree that this does happen sometimes, but generally it is a lot more unusual. I do hope the owners in the near future will make a statement, letting us know what their plans and hopes are for next season so that we the fans know what is going on.