Brian Woodall

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Dagger83

This will be my last post on the matter as we'll never agree.

1. I have never excused their actions. They have committed a crime and should pay the consequences.

2. Of course I would think differently if a child of mine had been hit and killed. That's why laws are made with as little emotional attachment as possible. If sentences were based on what the victim's families felt should happen we'd have more people in than out of prison.

3. I don't care what job a person does (to an extent), they have every right to rebuild their lives after being released from prison.

4. I totally see where the people who disagree are coming from. If you'd asked me five years ago, I'd have probably agreed.

5. Going back to the role model argument: ex cons can be some of the best role models for kids. People aren't perfect and make mistakes, we all have, so kids seeing someone turn their life around after a low point is a great perspective (not specifically in the case of Plymouth's keeper as I have no idea if he's reformed or not).

6. Back to Woodall. He's done something silly, thankfully no one was hurt (as far as I know) and it's how he reacts to this that's important. I hope it teaches him a lesson that he was lucky that he got caught when someone wasn't hurt or killed. The club should help him with that, just as I'd expect any employer to help their employees.

I don't expect everyone to agree with what I've said but there you go. None of us are perfect.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
ARNU

I agree with most of your post that time D83 but you did it again.....Point 2 still disturbs me a little.Only if your kids were killed by a drunk driver would you then think differently.Until that happens its alright.In other words other peoples kids can get run over by twats and you stand by your comments.I think you type before you think or without thinking sometimes.Although you have been more clearer in your last post you made no apology for your original "drink driving is an accident" comment.I wonder if you'd come out of your silence on the matter to address that point.

Unfortunately for the club,Brian Woodall and us to a degree it is a consequence of his stupidity that we should let him go elsewhere now.Otherwise what consequence is there for him.A small fine and a lift everywhere of his mates is not a consequence.People make exactly the same excuses for rapists like Marlon King and the Sheffield player chet evans .Do a bit of bird and then be a well paid footballer on the Tv and everything.Rio Ferdinand drunk driver still played for England.Lee Hughes murderer still had a career after.No remorse still thinks he was doing nothing wrong.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Ilford Dagger

Not just with Brian Woodall but I believe anyone done for drink driving should NEVER be allowed to drive again - with NO exceptions - forget all this 'I need the car for my work/Charity work etc - you shouldn't drive under the influence - end of....
Similarly with dangerous driving especially if you kill or maim anybody the same should apply....
Masked Man

Ilford Dagger wrote:Not just with Brian Woodall but I believe anyone done for drink driving should NEVER be allowed to drive again - with NO exceptions ..
Regardless of whether it was half a pint over or 10 pints over? Regardless of whether it was the morning over and minimally over the limit?

A life ban is too much, people can change (and grow up!) in 10 years (I know a life lost is forever), so I'd be happy as that as a top sentence (with a life ban for multiple offencers), with a heftier 3 or 5 year mandatory sentence to discourage casual offenders.
TheLion

We should just let Woodall play out his contract somewhere obscure who hopefully are paying his wages.

I am not sure that having him outside the Pizza shop (on daggers.co.uk) today, does our club any favours.

Based on his track record to date, I doubt whether he is bothered in the least about the recent events.

I saw Lee Hughes play just after he was released from prison after killing someone whilst drunk and leaving the scene of the accident, and he celebrated by posing in front of the opposition fans, with the "Paul Merson" pose of "I am off drinking tonight". That is why whenever I am at a game involving the bald murderer, I let him know what I think of him.

He and any other convicted footballer (who is sent to prison) should be shown the door, but sadly some football clubs have a different set of morals to decent folk.
ARNU

Why does it take commiting the offence of drink driving and getting caught to get someone to realise their mistake? I've driven since 1984 and never done it...guess why...I know and knew it to be wrong.I don't drive the day after drinking either.Its a fact that if you are out pissing it up Friday night you wont be clear by Saturday morning and probably till Saturday night.So if you run someone over and kill them Saturday morning I still think you are a murderer,so do the courts.
bearaab

A lot of word twisting going on in this thread.
DagenHammer87

I agree bearaab. Lots of comments taken out of context and being read in the way that people want to show their argument.

For all those saying about other cases (Hughes etc), think about all of the other jobs that people convicted of drink driving do, do they get sacked? Being a professional footballer is in reality no different to being a sparky or chippy or builder. It's a job, a vocation - that's why there's no loyalty any more and players go to whoever pays the most. IT'S A JOB!

For those of you that have bleated on the BS bandwagon of "role models" - is Justin Bieber no better because he goes to brass houses, smacks cameramen around and spits at his own fans. I bet a few of you allow your kids to listen to his music or have his poster on their wall.

For my final point - Brian can be an example to all the young people of how not to do it. Spend your time educating your children that the law is there to be abided with, and no matter who you are, you're not above the law. Use him to show young footballers the grief that's caused by drink, fags and eating the wrong foods.

You should be your children's role models, not some fat bloke who waddles around a park for 10 minutes every week and picking up a pay packet for the pleasure. I think we need to all get a grip and have a look back at some of the shite that''s been posted and move on.
ARNU

Well if we could all at least begin from a position that drink driving is wrong and no accident it would be a start.

My view that Woodall has bought the clubs name into dis-repute with this shamefull episode also holds some credence,as does the general fact that footballers are held in higher regard by the youth of today and therefore they do have a moral responsibility to their fans young or old.I think my view is clear.If you think Woodall should be pampered and forgiven I'll agree to disagree with you.
Daggers No 2 Fan

How about a position of not claiming things have been said that haven't.

To an extent you've actually proved one of the points that you got a bit worked up about after taking it out of context.
Emotional attachment has clearly caused you to completely misread some points.

There has been no claim that drink driving is an accident. Or that it is okay. Or anything similar.
bearaab

I very much doubt anyone drunk sets out to kill so it is an accident, same with speeding. Still not acceptable.
ARNU

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:There has been no claim that drink driving is an accident. Or that it is okay. Or anything similar.
Sorry mate but you clearly haven't read the thread.Go back to Dagger83's post a page or so back.

Dagger83 said ..... "It is an accident as I doubt a person drink driving purposefully looks to mow down a kid".

My emotional attachment to this subject isn't needed for me to be offended by that silly comment.Now that I've established that for you do you not think I was right to highlight it ?
Daggers No 2 Fan

All you've done by highlighting that comment is prove me right.

The words you quote do not say that drink driving is an accident or that it is ok.
You need to try and read them without your own emotional issues blurring your judgement.
Richie

Drink driving is not an accident - Death by dangerous driving whilst drunk is
bearaab

ARNU wrote:
Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:There has been no claim that drink driving is an accident. Or that it is okay. Or anything similar.
Sorry mate but you clearly haven't read the thread.Go back to Dagger83's post a page or so back.

Dagger83 said ..... "It is an accident as I doubt a person drink driving purposefully looks to mow down a kid".

My emotional attachment to this subject isn't needed for me to be offended by that silly comment.Now that I've established that for you do you not think I was right to highlight it ?
I have read jt.

What I said isn't silly, it's a fact.

If I was doing 40 on a 30 i'd be breaking the law but I wouldn't be setting out to kill someone. Same thing.