McMahon

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

I was at the Dorking game. Probably our worst ever performance. The inability to defend is why we are where we are. That and last minute conceding. Don't know who will replace Darryl but we do need a winner this time. A win tomorrow is highly unlikely, can't see how Grit being in charge for any length of time will be any good for us.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
RampantDuke

This is a pivotal moment in the history of the club. The next appointment is a statement of intent. Wrexham went and got Phil Parkinson (after they had sacked their MD and got in the former Chair of the EFL). That was saying something. We need to be brutal and ambitious now. In 1999 John Bennett was fired after the most successful spell in the history of temporary managers. Garry Hill was our target and we didn't waiver. Hill took us to a level that we hadn't been at for 10 years. Dave Andrews could be brutal when dealing with managers but he had a plan and knew what he was doing (OK forget Carr and Cusack). If we have to wait until June for our marquee manager to arrive then that's fine but I really hope we don't fudge this. Time for a change across the club at the top as well as in the dugout.
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
Auntie Merge

RampantDuke wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:11 am This is a pivotal moment in the history of the club. The next appointment is a statement of intent. Wrexham went and got Phil Parkinson (after they had sacked their MD and got in the former Chair of the EFL). That was saying something. We need to be brutal and ambitious now. In 1999 John Bennett was fired after the most successful spell in the history of temporary managers. Garry Hill was our target and we didn't waiver. Hill took us to a level that we hadn't been at for 10 years. Dave Andrews could be brutal when dealing with managers but he had a plan and knew what he was doing (OK forget Carr and Cusack). If we have to wait until June for our marquee manager to arrive then that's fine but I really hope we don't fudge this. Time for a change across the club at the top as well as in the dugout.
Well said!!

Hopefully Steve Gritt will depart very shortly too.
I thought his behaviour towards the substituted player (Sagaf, can’t remember) at the Eastleigh game was vile and unnecessary; it showed the dressing room was lost. I meant to post something at the time but I forgot.
Mick Dagger

RayleighDagger1986 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:32 am
Dag82 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:19 am Firstly, this is GREAT news.
I don't care why or how it's happened, even if he is off to Colchester, good luck to him, but this club was dying on it's a*se, and the change was desperately needed.
Now, here is the critical moment..... we have to take our time, and make the best appointment possible, to give us the best chance for next season.
This season is done, we aren't making the play offs & we aren't going down, so there is no rush to make a shotgun rash appointment.
Luke Garrard is still the standout choice for me, just think he would be a perfect fit for me, and will energise the whole place.
What I fear is about to happen is that Maher/Curry/Still are not getting paid at Southend, and we have tapped them up, as a nice & easy quick fix.
The ownership need to be HANDS ON with choosing this new Manager, don't just leave it up to Thommo, he will screw it up !!.
We shall see....
Where is this story of Daryl going to Colchester?
They lost their manager in the week to Wycombe. Apparently, he was on their short list last time round, earlier in the season. Of course that was before our recent implosion.
RayleighDagger1986

RampantDuke wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:11 am This is a pivotal moment in the history of the club. The next appointment is a statement of intent. Wrexham went and got Phil Parkinson (after they had sacked their MD and got in the former Chair of the EFL). That was saying something. We need to be brutal and ambitious now. In 1999 John Bennett was fired after the most successful spell in the history of temporary managers. Garry Hill was our target and we didn't waiver. Hill took us to a level that we hadn't been at for 10 years. Dave Andrews could be brutal when dealing with managers but he had a plan and knew what he was doing (OK forget Carr and Cusack). If we have to wait until June for our marquee manager to arrive then that's fine but I really hope we don't fudge this. Time for a change across the club at the top as well as in the dugout.
Agree Rampant. Wrexham couldn't afford Parkinson until money was put "into" the club. His wages have been paid for by increased gates and cup runs, etc.
Under Gary Hill, he built a team on the success we had through high league finishes and high orifile cup runs (similar to Wrexham), which resulted in increased revenue to build a better team. The same could happen here if the owners are serious.
EssexDagger!

Auntie Merge wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:31 am
Well said!!

Hopefully Steve Gritt will depart very shortly too.
I thought his behaviour towards the substituted player (Sagaf, can’t remember) at the Eastleigh game was vile and unnecessary; it showed the dressing room was lost. I meant to post something at the time but I forgot.
What happened between Gritt and Sagaf, auntie?
Auntie Merge

Sagaf (if it was he) came off and went straight into the dugout

Gritt (who had given a hug and whispered in the ear of the player he was sending on) shouted at him something like

‘Don’t you f***ing ignore me. Don’t you f***ing ignore me’ and ranted at him.
Sagaf looked perplexed.

It was vile. Gritt was so angry.
Others saw this too. I meant to post something at the time.

I have never seen any management team speak to a player with such anger and venom before. Even when they had a go at a player, there was no malice. This felt like pure hate.
Diggerthedog

For all of Gritt’s experience in the game you would have thought he would have helped McMahon out with some stuff but they all seemed to have been as useless as each other. Not expecting much improvement whilst they’re still about.

This next appointment is huge for the club, I don’t think the owners are going to be consistently pumping cash with failures of managers that we’ve had but with the current MD, not sure what to expect from the next manager. 4th time lucky maybe…..
Dag82

There is absolutely no need to rush this, if we want to get a decent manager.

We are at the business send of the season, Managers doing well in jobs currently, aren't likely to jump until the season is over.

The season is done, we are going to finish somewhere between 9th - 15th, let them caretaker it out.

If we have to wait until May/June to get the wright man, that's what we should do.
Americans have got to lead this, NOT THOMMO.
Mark

First thing the Americans should do is go and get a football person to head up the recruitment process. Thompson has at best a 50/50 chance of getting it right, and an even smaller chance of being the manager's boss successfully over a period of time. I think we all hoped Tim Howard would eventually be some sort of DoF here but clearly he has very little interest. So they need to find someone else.

Next we need a proper recruitment process. Don't go and get someone just because they used to play for us. Don't go and get a one club man just because he did a job in a very specific circumstances elsewhere. Don't go and get someone who is knocking on and yesterday's man. We need to invite applications.

Sarrl, did a decent job at Yeovil but probably nobody expected him to take Woking so high. Luke Williams, came out of nowhere really after a bad spell at Swindon and then some assistant gigs. Wellens, probably nobody expected him to come south let alone take Orient to the top of the league after woeful records at Donny and Salford. Matt Gray, great job at Sutton with no prior experience. Kutrieb came from German lower leagues to Ebbsfleet. The point is there are many candidates we've probably never heard of. Let them apply and see what happens. Don't just do the typical Dagenham thing of the cosy option.
steeevooo

Excellent post Mark and can't disagree with any of it. This really is a huge, pivotal moment for our club, and it's not an exaggeration or hyperbole to say that. We simply must get this next appointment right, and I think you could count the number of people on one hand who believe that Tommo is the right person to lead the process. Many of us have been perplexed at the owners apparent reluctance to put someone with football experience into our club/board - if ever there was a time that was perfect for them to do so, it is now. They have done the first part in dispensing with Daryl, let's really hope they now take advantage to complete the process of transforming the playing side of the club properly.
Lcbdagger

Some excellent points here... My understanding, however is that the timing of this move was as it was primarily because Daryl got wind of us sounding out an individual to replace him. Personally have very little faith that the 'wait it out and get the best option' route will be taken here
EssexDagger!

Auntie Merge wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:41 pm Sagaf (if it was he) came off and went straight into the dugout

Gritt (who had given a hug and whispered in the ear of the player he was sending on) shouted at him something like

‘Don’t you f***ing ignore me. Don’t you f***ing ignore me’ and ranted at him.
Sagaf looked perplexed.

It was vile. Gritt was so angry.
Others saw this too. I meant to post something at the time.

I have never seen any management team speak to a player with such anger and venom before. Even when they had a go at a player, there was no malice. This felt like pure hate.
Wow, definitely not all rosey in our dressing room by the sounds.
Thanks for the reply Auntie.

Shame, as last season our squad looked like it had such a togetherness and team spirit within it.

Anybody heard any whispers on possible
Candidates?
McLeansvilleAppFan

Tell me how you don't want to be the new manager without telling me you don't want to be a manager.

"‘Don’t you f***ing ignore me. Don’t you f***ing ignore me’ and ranted at him.
Sagaf looked perplexed."
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
Dag82

Lcbdagger wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:00 pm Some excellent points here... My understanding, however is that the timing of this move was as it was primarily because Daryl got wind of us sounding out an individual to replace him. Personally have very little faith that the 'wait it out and get the best option' route will be taken here
Found this post on the conference forum earlier today;

Heard Strevens already turned down the job before the sacking of McMahon who found out hence the bizarre timing of it all. McMahon was already going to be sacked after Scunthorpe but the MD was on holiday and they tried to appointment someone at the same time as sacking him but it backfired big time.