Eastleigh (A) in-game and post game discussion

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
McLeansvilleAppFan

Please no pre game complaints. This is for in-game and post-game complaints only.
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

People who've seen the first two games - if we were going to switch to four at the back (which yknow, we obviosuly aren't), does anyone have a prototype XI / formation they'd fancy making so we could discuss ? I was once a fan of a 4-3-1-2 with Balanta behind Mac and Jun/Walker, but that's not possbile anymore. Could you play Weston +1 either side of McCallum ? Or just go 4-4-2 ?
Mark

I think you have to go for a 433 variation or you will get ruined in the middle of the pitch.

I'd do something like this:

Justham
Hare Manny Longe-King Johnson
Tavares
Sagaf Robinson
Weston McCallum Morias

CBs role is to give it to the full backs or Tavares. Tavares protects the back 4 and also starts attacks, similar to Jones when he was playing well. Very little defensive responsibility for Weston and Morias. Both are free to go wide or narrow to find space to pick up the ball.

Although this shape suits our defenders and Weston a lot more imo, there are obvious downsides. Nobody playing right up with McCallum can leave him isolated. Morias has a lot of work on his hands to get in behind from flicks but also drive with the ball out wide. Most teams who play one central striker seem to have a player with good combination of size and pace.

Even with this I'd have reservations about certain players. I think we'd need a better CDM and another proper winger at a minimum.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Mark wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:21 pm I think you have to go for a 433 variation or you will get ruined in the middle of the pitch.

I'd do something like this:

Justham
Hare Manny Longe-King Johnson
Tavares
Sagaf Robinson
Weston McCallum Morias

CBs role is to give it to the full backs or Tavares. Tavares protects the back 4 and also starts attacks, similar to Jones when he was playing well. Very little defensive responsibility for Weston and Morias. Both are free to go wide or narrow to find space to pick up the ball.

Although this shape suits our defenders and Weston a lot more imo, there are obvious downsides. Nobody playing right up with McCallum can leave him isolated. Morias has a lot of work on his hands to get in behind from flicks but also drive with the ball out wide. Most teams who play one central striker seem to have a player with good combination of size and pace.

Even with this I'd have reservations about certain players. I think we'd need a better CDM and another proper winger at a minimum.
Yeah I like this. Could play Vilhete instead of Morias if you wanted a bit more of a winger - but yeah we dont have another proper wide mid to make it a 4-4-2
EssexDagger!

Just conceded an injury time equaliser after yet another Corner…

3 seasons and counting now, set pieces have been the teams ,Achilles heel.

When does the buck start stopping with the manager for failing to address our glaring obvious weakness?
NBDag

Unsurprisingly we miss out on more points due to conceding from set pieces with a back 3 including Johnson and Hare.

What doesn’t help is that our goals seem to have dried up too, the only thing McMahon improved in our football. Without that we are back in Taylor territory without a hope in the world. Sack the clown now.
stanton101

To say I'm furious is an understatement.
This bloke really has to go.
And while we're at it, Thompson, you can f..k off as well.
EssexDagger!

2pts from a possible 9 :banghead:
Danamite

Same late goals all the f##king time. You just no its coming all the time. We are shit you get what you deserve. Tired of hearing the manager say we're a good team bla bla bla. Good teams don't have the same problems week in week out.
Lcbdagger

Happy to leave this comment here until April/ May... but none of the three teams we have played so far will be top half of the table come season's end... if they do by a point it's because of the results against us.

Three horribly average non league teams, not one with a chance of promotion this season and not a single win to show from it.

Only one game or of three we've not just been behind in but been 2 goals behind.

Three different starting lineups already and that's ignoring the fact most fans don't think the starting FORMATION even works, let alone the choice of players

Baffling stuff so far...
Diggerthedog

Last night was poor and even worse as Eastleigh are an awful side who will struggle.
Could say about not defending a set piece and the baffling line up but it’s done to death now, time for a change but won’t happen. Miserable.
Kevin

Diggerthedog wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:29 am Last night was poor and even worse as Eastleigh are an awful side who will struggle.
I'd say we are pretty awful at the mo.. :ermm:
DaggerJoel11

What is there to be said that hasn't already about this team's weaknesses?

McMahon harped on about taking accountability after Woking Saturday, how about doing so by coaching your team to defend a set-piece?

The moment they got that corner and sent the keeper up, we all knew it was going in because the players have no nerve whatsoever.

Performance poor as well against a very limited side, as we created nothing minus the goal and a quality strike from Vilhete that hit the post.

Even after conceding, we gave away another corner. Our own worst enemy, so fed up of it.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Mark

Eastleigh are going to be in a relegation battle. So are we at this rate.
Pablo

With the time he has had and the resources he has had patience is wearing thin. No obvious footballing philosophy, no apparent rationale in recruitment and team selection. It seems we are getting worse not better. If we are not in the top six by the end of October - and how likely is that?- someone else should have a go.