Orient

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Can't see the O's doing much this season on that showing. Dirty bastards I thought.
But obviously a friendly isn't really the best measure of how a team is going to do. I Like our new no6. Didn't see enough of the others really to say we got a few diamonds. Two set pieces we concede from so I suppose Darryl will have them working on that again.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
McLeansvilleAppFan

ARNU wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:11 pm Two set pieces we concede from so I suppose Darryl will have them working on that again.
I am not generally one to pile on the anti-Darryl postings, but as I was reading this all I could think was, "Really?" or maybe "Care to place a side wager on this?"
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
ARNU

I'm not anti Darryl. I thought the first goal was from a free kick. The second was deffo from a corner.
What we betting on ?
McLeansvilleAppFan

Do we have numbers on goals from set plays or corners from last year versus attempts? We can examine stats at the end of the year and compare.

I will go with the numbers are not better than last year for goals from set pieces.(though I would prefer to give Darryl a bit of credit and say only better than by having 2 less goals scored on us from set pieces.)

As far as the bet it has to be something I can pay across the Atlantic. If you visit a pub post fixture I will buy you a pint over Venmo or PayPal or whatever might be used over there that I can also use here. Or you can wait about 2-3 years and after I retire from teaching I plan to visit during football season and I will pay in person.

I am not a beer drinker (though I plan to indulge at least once when I visit) but you can send me some English chocolate if I win. That stuff is to die for compared to American chocolate. (I am diabetic so I am being somewhat literal.)

Third option is to fly to Greensboro, NC and I will pay in person and even treat you to a complete meal. We actually have a nice restaurant called Darryl's even that has a bar and pretty good food. (Cost of Transport is on you in this scenario.) Darryl's is my favorite restaurant in the city, but just pricy enough that we don't go there often, and I tend to carb up on their backed beans, which has my mouth watering just typing about, and that is not good for me either.

And I will be happy to lose this bet by the way as that means the club is improving.
ARNU

You've lost me ?
I'm not anti Darryl and we conceded 2 goals from set pieces today.
He's ( Darryl ) just been talking about it in his aftermath interview.

It was a theme last season I'm sure with Manny about, we'll get better at defending them. I see nothing to bet on.
stanton101

A typical pre season kick about really, although Orient took it quite literally with some of their tackles. The new boys looked ok and I think we'll be alright at the back with Longe King partnering Manny.
Would love to see Ling get a run of matches as I'm baffled as to what vilhette brings to the table, very lightweight, can't defend and gives the ball away on a regular basis.
Would like a bit more creativity in the middle from Balanta if we can get him fit to play alongside Mussa and Robbo.
Still a worry about our inability to defend a set piece, but time will tell.
DaggerJoel11

Some thoughts/observations from yesterday:

- A largely encouraging performance against a higher calibre side who are further along in their preparations with their season commencing next Saturday.
- Developing good habits is important in pre-season so it was disappointing to concede twice from set-pieces in a recurrence of our main problem since Daryl took charge.
- We were very exposed on our left side with Vilhete as the wing-back and Johnson tucked inside. Could have conceded several times through this.
- I think we need Ling one side and Weston/Vilhete the other for defensive balance. Theoretically that would also open up the potential of going 4-3-3 mid game if the situation required, with Johnson and Ling the full backs and Weston with Walker/Morias either side of McCallum up top. A plan B isn't something we've had often.
- Longe-King's one-on-one defending was excellent and far better than Will Wright in that regard. He stood up his man to prevent the cross coming in which we were barely able to do last season.
- Josh Hare played right centre half again (all three friendlies he has) and I wonder if the plan is to use him in the Wright position driving us forward.

Anyway, it's largely meaningless but still a decent insight into where we're at, and the sternest test of that too.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Blue Hoops

More of the same McMahon, the team just cannot defend from set-pieces. Game after game last season, now with different defenders doing the same thing. Stop giving stupid free kicks away is half the problem. Get a defence coach in the club and teach them, obviously McMahon can’t
McLeansvilleAppFan

In an effort to move this along AND not come across as rooting against the Daggers and Darryl, I will go with at least a 10% improvement in having less goals from corners. You can take the side of no or only slight improvement. No one has to bet of being worse then.
Diggerthedog

Not sure why anyone is surprised by our lack of defending from set pieces or the lack of a decent left wing back, the two areas that needed most addressing and for me we’ve not done that for whatever reason. Got no chance of the league title with Wrexham about but should have a good shout of the play offs, over to you Daryl and the team.

I don’t bother with pre season anyone whose been can advise on Mussa and his position in the middle.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:32 am Some thoughts/observations from yesterday:

- A largely encouraging performance against a higher calibre side who are further along in their preparations with their season commencing next Saturday.
- Developing good habits is important in pre-season so it was disappointing to concede twice from set-pieces in a recurrence of our main problem since Daryl took charge.
- We were very exposed on our left side with Vilhete as the wing-back and Johnson tucked inside. Could have conceded several times through this.
- I think we need Ling one side and Weston/Vilhete the other for defensive balance. Theoretically that would also open up the potential of going 4-3-3 mid game if the situation required, with Johnson and Ling the full backs and Weston with Walker/Morias either side of McCallum up top. A plan B isn't something we've had often.
- Longe-King's one-on-one defending was excellent and far better than Will Wright in that regard. He stood up his man to prevent the cross coming in which we were barely able to do last season.
- Josh Hare played right centre half again (all three friendlies he has) and I wonder if the plan is to use him in the Wright position driving us forward.

Anyway, it's largely meaningless but still a decent insight into where we're at, and the sternest test of that too.
Good info thanking you once again, excited to see Longe-King