Squad for 22/23

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Notts County have just done theirs the day after they got knocked out of the play-offs, Eastleigh did theirs nine whole days ago, but still, we wait...
DaggerJoel11

While we await the Retained List, of those believed to be out of contract:

AKANBI - Actually done alright when he played, but that was very rarely so he'll go
CLARK - Time to move on. The loan departure foreshadowed it anyway
COMLEY - Retain if possible but I expect him to depart having used us as a stepping stone
JONES - A guaranteed exit after the comments about him at the last forum
MCQUEEN - Never good enough, forgot he was even still here. Gone
PHIPPS - Release. Feel for him but we've persevered far too long
RANCE - Would offload, however McMahon loves him so probably another year
REYNOLDS - Just about worthy of a 1y extension despite the individual errors
SAGAF - No brainer to trigger our option
SAUNDERS - Retain, however questions remain whether he'll ever reach his potential here
WILSON - Definitely a gonner, nowhere near prolific enough
WESTON - Our best supplier of crosses, got to keep him
ZOUMA - Release, cost us a trophy semi as well as casting an unwanted spotlight on the club
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Lcbdagger

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:50 pm While we await the Retained List, of those believed to be out of contract:

AKANBI - Actually done alright when he played, but that was very rarely so he'll go
CLARK - Time to move on. The loan departure foreshadowed it anyway
COMLEY - Retain if possible but I expect him to depart having used us as a stepping stone
JONES - A guaranteed exit after the comments about him at the last forum
MCQUEEN - Never good enough, forgot he was even still here. Gone
PHIPPS - Release. Feel for him but we've persevered far too long
RANCE - Would offload, however McMahon loves him so probably another year
REYNOLDS - Just about worthy of a 1y extension despite the individual errors
SAGAF - No brainer to trigger our option
SAUNDERS - Retain, however questions remain whether he'll ever reach his potential here
WILSON - Definitely a gonner, nowhere near prolific enough
WESTON - Our best supplier of crosses, got to keep him
ZOUMA - Release, cost us a trophy semi as well as casting an unwanted spotlight on the club
No arguments there... others around me are big fans of Rance but he's never been a starter, in our best midfield 2 or 3 for me. Hoping Sagaf and Weston stay on.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

FINALLY :
Thirteen players were already under contract for the 2022/23 season, and the Club has also taken up the option it held on a further four players to extend their contracts for another year:

• Angelo Balanta

• Josh Hare

• Ansu Janneh

• Elliott Johnson

• Elliot Justham

• Sam Ling

• Paul McCallum

• Junior Morias

• Manny Onariase

• Matt Robinson

• Ryley Scott

• Mauro Vilhete

• Josh Walker

---

Extension options have been taken up with:

• Harry Phipps

• Mo Sagaf

• Myles Weston

• Yoan Zouma

---

Negotiations are continuing with several of the remaining players, and we would hope to clarify their positions shortly, but in the meantime sadly it has been agreed that five of the current squad will be leaving us:

• Ibby Akanbi

• Kenny Clark

• Joey Jones

• Darren McQueen

• Scott Wilson

---

Seems like negotiations are ongoing with Reynolds, Rance, Saunders, Wright, Comley accoring to 9men on twit.
jag

I cannot believe our club are going to let Will Wright go, I have always said he is real class and thought he should have got in the best 3 players of the season his command on the ball going forward is really good and towards the end of the season was given the captaincy he also started to become a decent defender, my only one problem with him was his over hit corners,( pay him the dosh ) !!!
Alan

You cannot make a player stay if they are out of contract and want to go.
Diggerthedog

jag wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:32 pm I cannot believe our club are going to let Will Wright go, I have always said he is real class and thought he should have got in the best 3 players of the season his command on the ball going forward is really good and towards the end of the season was given the captaincy he also started to become a decent defender, my only one problem with him was his over hit corners,( pay him the dosh ) !!!
My understanding is we offered him a deal earlier in the year and he rejected it, an improved offer was put on the table just after and he has chosen not to sign it and funnily enough he is about to sign for someone else any moment now. Not too bothered as he can’t defend which is his main role in the side, much better defenders are out there for probably less money too. Good luck to him playing in the league.

We chose to stall on contracts with some players and it kissed them off and they did not like it given we were chucking contracts at the manager quicker than bolt can run 100m. But we’re still a well run club.
len

I'm delighted we now have Mo Sagaf and Myles Weston on contracts and agree that we should do our utmost to also get Will Wright but we have a budget, so there is only so much the manager can do I imagine.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

I do think there's a good player in Wright, I know he's got a bit of stick but I'd say he deserves a shot at the EFL - have him back on a Liam Gordon style loan though
Danamite

Will Wright has signed for Gillingham
DaggerJoel11

The discussion points from this morning's long overdue Retained List, which sprung some surprises and overall probably wasn't ruthless enough considering our failure at reaching the play-offs last term:

https://dagnificent.weebly.com/daggers- ... ff-failure
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
EssexDagger!

Personally I’m not too fussed about Will Wright, his decent with a ball at his feet & free kicks, but think their are better defenders out there.
Lost count of how many times this season he had lost his man when defending crosses etc.

Been a good servant during a tough time for the club, and wish him well for the future.

Hopefully we can find another giant of a centre half to play alongside manny.
BB-Dagger

I’m sorry to see Will Wright go, he has his weak points but he’s done a good job overall with us and I wish him well. Highlight of his time here was his free kick against aldershot, as he lined up for the kick I said to a guy next to me “he’s got no chance from there “
The rest (as they say) is history! Good luck fella
Lcbdagger

Didn't expect us to keep Zouma but interested to see how he gets on with a pre season behind him and a chance alongside Manny. We've mentioned in years past that the back 4 or 3 looked small compared to other teams.

Hoping Comley stays but a really decent start to a squad for us to build on, based on today's updates
Dag82

EssexDagger! wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:04 pm Personally I’m not too fussed about Will Wright, his decent with a ball at his feet & free kicks, but think their are better defenders out there.
Lost count of how many times this season he had lost his man when defending crosses etc.

Been a good servant during a tough time for the club, and wish him well for the future.

Hopefully we can find another giant of a centre half to play alongside manny.
Agree totally, he scores the odd brilliant free kick, but is a very average defender, who is really poor at defending set pieces, and his corner taking is often a mix of hitting the first opposition defender, or over hitting it by 15-20 yards.

Nowhere near the level of Onariase, and if he gets his chance.... Zouma will prove to be a better player.