Hartlepool

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
jag

Well I was very worried we might be well and truly turned over last night, but although we were beaten 1-0 I think that the Pool were very relieved that they got the narrow win, I was very proud of the team with their effort and attitude, yes I suppose we still need to put away some of those chances we missed but in a really enjoyable game Daryl was right when he said Hartlepool are the best footballing side he has seen this season, they must surley be getting promotion this season, but it also showed that we are close to becoming a very good side too and the gap is very quickly being closed, the National league is all about getting the consistency and that has been our problem mainly due to the re-building that has been going on. special praise must go to Elliott Justham who had a great game along with Vihete, Balanta and Clark, I am now looking forward to the next game against Torquay Utd on Saturday, COYD.
IanC

Couldn`t have put it any better,well said mate.
DaggerJoel11

Think last night was just a step too far for this team, even though we have improved recently. As soon as we went one down with a pathetic goal to concede, it was always going to be a very difficult task and to be fair Hartlepool showed their quality with the way they controlled the second half without really giving us an opportunity to threaten them.

Justham was unbelievable and saved us from a much more comfortable margin of defeat. Was also impressed with Vilhete. Shame to lose Rance on top of Robinson, hopefully that's purely precautionary and he's back Saturday.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Dagger83

As frustrating as last night was, sometimes you just have to congratulate the other team. I thought they were excellent. We had a lot of the ball and should have scored however they defended well and looked the best team we have faced this season.

Hats off to Justham too, what an unbelievable string of saves. Watching the highlights will give the impression we were pummelled.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Oxhead

Good to see some really sensible and
positive posts.
We played well but Hartlepool were quality
but we’re getting there
NBDag

Justham really is a cut above the rest and should not be in this league - some amazing saves from him. Hartlepool definitely were one of the best sides I’ve seen this year. Very well organised and disciplined, and yes we could have beat them which shows progression that we are getting better I guess.

But that performance was a tough watch for me. Yet again we have seen our strikers fail to finish their chances. Yes they were more scarce than usual as Weston had a massive off day, but our success shouldn’t rest in the hands of a 33 year old. In the past 10 games, our strikers (McCallum, Balanta, and Wilson) have only scored in 3 of them. The same amount of games as Liam Gordon on his own. Balanta I can forgive, but I’d love to know what the difference is between McCallum/Wilson and the strikers we deemed not good enough last year? Aside from they’re now higher up the league than us and cost half the price. Reid and Quigley have 18 goals between them this year and they were shite!

Yeah this season is a write-off and we’re right in prepping for next year. But unless they start giving out points for possession and chances created, we will still be in this league in 2022. Money well spent.
Kevin

I actually enjoyed watching the game last night.

Hartlepool were excellent & am sure they'll be wondering how Justham pulled off some of the multiple saves he made. througout the match.

We played some good stuff & created several seriously clear cut chances - alas, as we have throughout the entire season, just didn't look like scoring in a month of Sundays.

:blink:
Oxhead

McCallum has been disappointing but Wilson and McQueen just don’t ever look like scoring. A experienced striker is badly needed
IanC

Little cheeky bid down Bromley way might do it.
Diggerthedog

Seems that our fans have now level accepted the below mediocre ambition that the board have, we we’re good for about a 30 mins spell from 10 mins to 40 mins the rest we we’re throughly outplayed with Justham keeping it respectable,

Maybe I expect too much and should lower my standards but from my view a team talked up with promotion aspect should never be happy to lose at home regardless of the opposition. It’s just another failure of a season that has seen us scrape 10 wins by the odd goal and not much else.

I will be thinking long and hard about renewing next season if the current manager is still in charge, he’s failed.
Oxhead

Best you don’t renew
Reg Varneys wife

The team have performed a lot better than they did in the first half of the season when the quality was very poor. Elliot Justham saved the team from a much worst defeat against Hartlepool.

We do create chances, but still have no player who can consistently score goals. We need a couple of forwards who can get us 20+ goals a season and we haven't got anyone like that at the club this season.

If we can get 2 good strikers then we have a chance next season to compete for promotion.

Daryl obviously knows we need at least 1 good striker and continues to give support to McCallum, but from what I've seen this season and I've seen all the games, the forwards are not good enough, Balanta is the only one who has any class upfront, but he can't do it all by himself.
Pablo

I'm afraid I can't get too excited about last night either. Hartlepool have been doing well but actually have struggled to get good results against some of the also rans - Weymouth and Kings Lynn. Their budget is smaller than ours and they had three players out last night. I know we did too but that seems par for most teams this season. We are better than at the beginning of the season having improved since the nightmare of Notts County but we are still nowhere near good enough. If we had played for another hour last night we wouldn't have scored and if you can't score you are always likely to concede and not recover. Give me Reid, Quigley, Kandi or even dear old Eliot Romaine any day over our current so called strike force. They would also be half the cost. The manager's comments also baffle me. Weston was awful last night and Gordon I'm afraid not much better. The only players we currently have who would definitely command a place in teams at the top of the league are Balanta and Justham. The rest are middle to lower half of the league trundlers although some - like Saunders- might progress. On the playing side we need root and branch reform. McMahon's admission that we need younger and hungrier players seems to condemn his own recruitment policy out of his own mouth.
Mark

You can't build anything overnight and we've been useless for years. I will be the first to say he's spent badly in the summer but he had to bring in loads of players all at once. He's admitted the blend was wrong and he's tried to fix it recently. It's not exactly a cost effective way of doing it, but I think Still will keep him on a good path now.

Once I saw how bad we were the first few weeks l, expectations immediately changed to just wanting to see improvement rather than playoffs. We've done that steadily and I think we look a decent side now. Nobody was going to come in and make us suddenly a top side at that point, so we've probably improved as much as we could've.

I think he will and probably should get a crack next season but he's got to sort out the squad in the summer. It seems he knows what we need so let's see what happens.
Diggerthedog

He’s got big problems sorting out the squad without costing us a fortune, most of the deals he gave out were for big money and for longer than a year.

Hartlepool we’re no better than us last season and they had huge overhaul of players and are miles better now, managers here always have excuses and that’s all it is an excuse for being crap at your job. He was given the money for strikers and he blew most of it on McCallum, £3k a week, Jesus wept.

Notts county have sacked their manager as they know it’s not working, in a far better position than us why we waiting, we all know why as a certain someone can’t be wrong. There are signs were improving but what’s next season hope ls that we burst into midtable?