New Manager

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

So who makes the short list?

Ben Strevens
Darren Currie (he knows how to use McCallum)
Luke Garrard
John Still (Whilst MD is still here it’s a possibility)
Wayne Brown (Maldon Manager)
Sol Campbell
Tim Howard
Frank Lampard
Lord Lucan
Shergar

Very tiresome supporting this club, it’s a poisoned chalice for who ever takes it on. Good luck.
dagger4eva

Strevs - no thanks

Currie - 1/3 of the Burnett/Hackett 3 - stooges sh*t show - again, no thanks.

Still gets the gig again, thats me done with the club for good.

Garrard all the way!

You are of course right though, that it's likely a poisoned chalice and there are clearly some much deeper, underlying issues running throughout the whole club that probably need addressing before anything.
Daggerman

My preference would be Ben Strevens, he knows what it means to be a Dagger, I think Lord Lucan is already on the staff though because so many are “going missing “ during games
ThatRoundThing

Strevens - Still , No Thanks

Luke Garrard
Wayne Brown (Maldon)
Stimson & Gay (Hornchurch)
Darren Currie with Jody Brown

Desperation long shot: Over 18 Championship Manager competition hotshot living fairly local.

We also need someone like the younger, aggressive & forward thinking Owner/Chairman/Manager Marc White from Dorking to be either our MD or Chairman.11 promotions in 19 years, built his club from nothing, has all age group youth schemes running.

Until decisions are made about National League continuing and finances assured I would not sack/hire anyone.
Mark

Feels like there's a pretty high chance of the leagues below being stopped so probably no relegation. Maybe this season is a write off and we clear out in the summer.

But we definitely need someone more football focused on the board. There's no ethos at this club and hasn't been since the Still era that took us to L1. I get the feeling he ran absolutely everything football related, and was kept in check by Dave Andrews. They are two big holes to fill and we've never managed it.

I wonder if someone like Devonshire would be happy to move upstairs in a part time capacity, not getting any younger and has a good track record.
hockley dagger

If the league goes null and void or there is no relegation to league south I'd do nothing immediately and look for a new enthusiastic young manager in the summer.

If the league carries on and there is a threat of relegation I'd get Still in to keep us up and then appoint a permanent manager in the summer.

That's all supposing the owners don't pull out. If that happened the whole club could be null and void!
themightydagger

Anyone know how long McMahons contract is? Because if it runs out soon, i'd just let him see it out to save the payout. Americans have put enough money in, so can see why they wouldnt want to just pay him off. Realistically, if the season is stopped, he could be furloughed.

In terms of a new manager, Luke Garrard or Danny Searle/Anwar Uddin at Aldershot. They will be on very little compared to Daryl. Good manager is Danny, local lad and Annie was the definition of a Dagger.

Still comes back thats me done with the club. Left when we needed him to get a squad on a shoestring budget, lied at the forum and then went to Barnet and took the spine of an average Dagenham side with him. Currie could've had the job, but he jumped ship too.
Diggerthedog

themightydagger wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:53 pm Anyone know how long McMahons contract is? Because if it runs out soon, i'd just let him see it out to save the payout. Americans have put enough money in, so can see why they wouldnt want to just pay him off. Realistically, if the season is stopped, he could be furloughed.

In terms of a new manager, Luke Garrard or Danny Searle/Anwar Uddin at Aldershot. They will be on very little compared to Daryl. Good manager is Danny, local lad and Annie was the definition of a Dagger.

Still comes back thats me done with the club. Left when we needed him to get a squad on a shoestring budget, lied at the forum and then went to Barnet and took the spine of an average Dagenham side with him. Currie could've had the job, but he jumped ship too.

Chesterfield have furloughed their crap players and replaced them with better ones, we should just do that with the manager if funds are an issue. Morally wrong but ****** it stop being so nice.

Currie for me would be a decent choice, forget the past it’s time for a new plan and he had one going at Barnet. I’m also off if Still comes back then bye, nothing to do with the way he left more over a lack of ambition and the same old Dagenham.

The important thing about appointing a new manager is having a plan for the club to go with it, a youth system etc as otherwise it’s all pointless and we will end up in the same position. If the rumours are true and the yanks are stumping up a budget of £2m I would rather see at least a of third of that on a youth system and the rest on the playing squad, which is more than enough to compete at this level.
RayleighDagger1986

Currie or Garrard for me.
And if Still does return, I will turn my back on the club.
Auntie Merge

All those commenting about walking out if John Still came back, does this apply if he is in a temporary position? It is unlikely to be anything long term.

I’d be happy to see John back temporarily to stop the rot, but we also have to think long term.

Most importantly as has been said above and as I’ve said before, there is no real football person making decisions on a daily basis within the club. Dave Andrews (RIP) is much missed; we need someone of his calibre to come in.

We also need a cunning plan! We were drifting when we were in the football league and let things slip; we never grew as a club off the pitch, just went higher up the leagues until we came tumbling down.

My main fear at the moment is our American friends might pull the plug. I really hope they don’t- we have so much potential as a club both on and off the pitch yet we haven’t had the right direction and impetus for many years. They were just getting started before covid. This is why we need them and why they should stay.
SUSSEX DAGGER

hockley dagger wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:01 pm If the league goes null and void or there is no relegation to league south I'd do nothing immediately and look for a new enthusiastic young manager in the summer.

If the league carries on and there is a threat of relegation I'd get Still in to keep us up and then appoint a permanent manager in the summer.

That's all supposing the owners don't pull out. If that happened the whole club could be null and void!
Come on Steve we tried that before. Week after that Everton Jamberee me you and the faithful were in Wales watching us compitualte against Newport in injury time. Still was in charge of that charade . Win there we are out the relegation spot Newport are dumped in it. 2 nil up and we drew 2 all and were lucky to hold onto that

Turned to you at the final whistle and said to you then it's over and we still had 3 months of season left with Still in charge, We got relegated with at least 4 games left

Only a fool or a dog returns to it's own vomit.

Just as in them dark days the problems run deeper then that, when we took those kids of ours that are now strapping bruises the Club had a heart and that I am afraid my dear friend has what has been ripped out of the Club.

We have shared many a mile watching this team.over the years , we have seen some shockers but in all honesty have you seen anything as feeble and pathetic as last night
ThatRoundThing

If John Still came back under temporary or permanent terms I would walk away from the club and return when he had gone, whatever League we may be in. I couldn’t stand any more too high with the highs & too low with the lows.
SUSSEX DAGGER

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:33 pm
hockley dagger wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:01 pm If the league goes null and void or there is no relegation to league south I'd do nothing immediately and look for a new enthusiastic young manager in the summer.

Come on Steve we tried that before. Week after that Everton Jamberee me you and the faithful were in Wales watching us compitualte against Newport in injury time. Still was in charge of that charade . Win there we are out the relegation spot Newport are dumped in it. 2 nil up and we drew 2 all and were lucky to hold onto that

Turned to you at the final whistle and said to you then it's over and we still had 3 months of season left with Still in charge, We got relegated with at least 4 games left

Just as in them dark days the problems run deeper then that, when we took those kids of ours that are now strapping bruises the Club had a heart and that I am afraid my dear friend has what has been ripped out of the Club.

We have shared many a mile watching this team.over the years , we have seen some shockers but in all honesty have you seen anything as feeble and pathetic as last night.

Remember that wet miserable day in Bury , we were in a bit of a mess then but we had a team then that refused to die , we were not great but all the 14 players that day gave us everything, Medi Ellito got on our train back to London and could hardly walk as like everybody that afternoon he ran his heart out. Honestly mate can you honestly say we have seen any of that desire or passion from this current mob
hockley dagger

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:33 pm

We have shared many a mile watching this team.over the years , we have seen some shockers but in all honesty have you seen anything as feeble and pathetic as last night
That took the biscuit Chris. Maybe I'm wrong about Still to keep us up but relegation would surely spell the end. The lad and I were laughing last night. It took a decade from really taking on league 1 to becoming a "conference banter club" according to the lad. Let's hope when we do meet up it won't be at a league south game!
albie

It's very rarely that I post on here, but the performances of the 11 selected ( its never a team these days) leave a lot to be desired. If only we could instil some of the pashion shown by the likes of Jason Broom or the work ethic of CMS into some of Mr McMahons signings.
But I digress, it's an easy shot going for the manager although I would agree that his time has come, I would like to appeal to Trinity Sports Holdings to perform a complete top down review within the club. The MD and Chairman were both members of the board that got caught with their trousers around their ankles by both Glen Tamplin & Glyn Hopkins. How any of those responsible were ever allowed back into the club's administration is baffling. As we are supposedly a professional organisation I personally believe someone with No previous connections with D&R should be appointed as CEO/MD with a Director of Football Operations working with the Manager. As to who the individuals would be CEO/MD should be advertised. If we want someone with an affinity with the club for DOFO how about asking either Mick Payne or Terry Harris. As for the manager, it'd be a coup but would Luke Garrard leave BW for us? Debatable at best. As for the other names being mentioned it's an open book, but I'd go for Darren Currie, I can hear the shouts he could have had the job but left instead. But cast your minds back, we were in the smelly stuff and the guy has a family to keep so if I'd had those choices i can't say I'd have done anything differently. He did a good job with the North London mob ( sorry I can't say the name), has a long standing relationship with the club and after spending time with him a while ago he like the ball on the floor. That right football not hoof ball.
So now I hand over to you for comment.
Oh and just in case anyone thinks I'm a newbie, I first walked into Victoria Road in 1969 but my first real memory is the 70 amateur cup final, we got well beat but what a day for a 7 year old.