Mansfield Town (A)

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DaggerJoel11

REPORT: Mansfield 2 Daggers 1

Daryl McMahon's troops had gone toe-to-toe with their superior opponents right up until the 122nd minute, at which point Mansfield's seasoned striker Nicky Maynard plundered a heartbreaking last-gasp winner with the penultimate kick of a dramatic tie.

Here's my report and player ratings from an FA Cup clash in which the Daggers gave their absolute all yet fell agonisingly short - https://dagnificent.weebly.com/match-re ... aggers-aet
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Penfold

While this may not be the right time, I have a burning question following the game:

Does 1 defence splitting pass justify why Myles Weston should start on the right flank?

Other than that pass, he frequently lost the ball whether in his own half or 3/4 down the wing, Crossing was suspect at times - why cant we have a Janners-eque winger who simply puts the ball over instead of trying to twist and turn the full back before losing it?
"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."

"You never realize what you have until it's gone. Toilet paper is a good example"
len

I thought Weston was our most dangerous player yesterday and was probably our best player on the day. I would also say that applies to our three games before that as well.
RM1Dagger

len wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:21 am I thought Weston was our most dangerous player yesterday and was probably our best player on the day. I would also say that applies to our three games before that as well.
Hmm, yeah Weston was definitely our best attacking outlet, particularly first half.
Now the SE27 Dagger
DaggerJoel11

He's been consistently decent for a while now and we lost a lot when he had to be taken off. Their left-back in particular struggled against his powerful, direct running down the line. There were many occasions where he eased the pressure on our defence by going on a long, lung-busting run that took us from one end of the pitch to another, and the goal was down to him as much as it was McCallum.

His crossing wasn't great though, that's true.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
NBDag

Bitter pill to swallow yesterday. We played so well in both attack and defence, especially given our current squad restrictions. To be beaten like that so cruelly at the end is underserved. But it’s also hugely encouraging if we can continue to play this type of football in the league. It may not be pretty, but it clearly works and you’d hope even more effectively against lesser opposition. Everyone should be proud.

Thought Weston was the clear MoTM, hopefully his injury is nothing serious. Don’t want to end things on a bad note, but despite the great team performance Brundle was abysmal yesterday. Not sure what Robinson has done but it’s time to get him back playing if Brundle even plays half as bad as that again.

Onwards and upwards.
Mark

Agree Weston delivery was not great but he was our best attacking player until he went off, because he carried the ball and got us into their half. He also stopped their left back coming forward as much as he wanted to. As soon as he went off, our only outlet was the long ball. We don't have anyone else in the squad who can run with the ball effectively it would seem.
steeevooo

Agreed. The difference between when Weston was on and when Saunders was on was enormous. Saunders appeared to have no confidence in what he was doing at all - there was one instance where he knocked the ball past the full back, appeared to have the opportunity to attack it and possibly cross, but instead just stood still and appealed for a corner (not given). We lack attacking creativity on the wings, be that from full backs or traditional wingers.
jag

I thought we were the better team in the 1st half and we missed a few good chances ourselves however in the 2nd half we seemed to play as though we wanted penalties sitting back too deep and trying to contain Mansfield, it just seems to risky to play that way because at no time did I think we were outclassed ,, I thought we could have done without Mitch Brundle as he was his normal shocking self (except when he played a decent game against Grimsby) what does Daryll see in him? still I am looking forward to seeing Wednesdays game although I hope we have not got to much fatigue after that effort.