Predictions for the season ahead...

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Lcbdagger

What are people's initial thoughts going in to the new season? Odds sites seem to have us 5th or 6th favourite for promotion.

Any suprises expected? Will Barnet struggle to stay up after their torrid end of season?

Notts Couny favourites to go up?
DevonDagger

Lcbdagger wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:08 pm What are people's initial thoughts going in to the new season? Odds sites seem to have us 5th or 6th favourite for promotion.

Any suprises expected? Will Barnet struggle to stay up after their torrid end of season?

Notts Couny favourites to go up?
Some interesting odds in there. What's happened at Bromley? Going by that they're expected to get relegated!

Here they are for anyone else curious. Odds generated by Betway, currently appear to be only bookie offering NL winners odds at this stage

Notts Co 9/2
Stockport 9/2
Yeovil 8/1
Hartlepool 12/1
Daggers 14/1
Solohull 14/1
Boreham Wood 14/1
Wrexham 16/1
Chesterfield 16/1
Barnet 20/1
Halifax 20/1
Torquay 20/1
Eastleigh 25/1
Maidenhead 25/1
Sutton 25/1
Aldershot 33/1
Woking 33/1
Bromley 33/1
Dover 50/1
NBDag

Haven’t seen any odds but I find that bookies have no idea when it comes to outright bets at this level, so what they think doesn’t bother me.

County have recruited really well it seems so far, Solihull have made some good appointments too. People also seem to be raving about Hartlepool but I think they’re very mediocre with their new recruits. Think it’s County that scare me the most.

You’ve got to fancy us with Balanta, Justham and McCallum being arguably the best players in the league in their positions. However as McMahon highlighted in his recent interview with Joel, we need our talent to gel quickly and stay fit to really have a shot. We also of course need McMahon to be at his best every week!

Barnet will 100% go down. They’re an absolute shambles right now who currently can’t even do preseason friendly.
Auntie Merge

I predict we will win every game 6-0. :thumbu: :thumbu: :thumbu: :thumbu: :thumbu: :thumbu:
ARNU

Sorry to piddle on your thread but I can't see there not being some sort of lockdown / halt to the season over the winter months. There will be clubs that have outbreaks too, thus postponing fixtures . Given the turbulent times we're in now and that are certain to continue a good while yet, I'm not sure you could call it.

We were in reasonable proximity of relegation till season was ended, can't see how we're now all of a sudden going to do much better.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Diggerthedog

ARNU wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:58 pm Sorry to piddle on your thread but I can't see there not being some sort of lockdown / halt to the season over the winter months. There will be clubs that have outbreaks too, thus postponing fixtures . Given the turbulent times we're in now and that are certain to continue a good while yet, I'm not sure you could call it.

We were in reasonable proximity of relegation till season was ended, can't see how we're now all of a sudden going to do much better.
We have a goalscorer now, as long as he stays fit he is well worth 7-10 places higher. Not sure many teams will have the likes of Deering, Balanta and McCallum in their side. Unsure about us defensively at the moment will wait to see how that pans out. One thing is for sure the manager is very positive and won’t be setting out for a point from kick off, no more miserable dinosaurs about the place.

The other major factor is many clubs will struggle financially this year and might have to be like us two years ago and just patch together a side, some of the teams that have come are part time and I see them being no better than Chorley. Anything 10th or above would be a huge improvement but I reckon the owners want minimum play offs with there investment.
DaggerJoel11

McMahon has mentioned many times the difficulty of going from 17th to the top seven or above. It will be a challenge, but looking at recent years I don't think such a jump is unlikely by any means.

2019/20 champions Barrow jumped nine places from the season before. 2018/19 champions Leyton Orient jumped eleven places from the season before. 2017/18 champions Macclesfield jumped eight places from the season before. 2016/17 champions Lincoln jumped twelve places from the year before. And so on...

Infact, particularly in recent years, there haven't been many winners who finished in the play-offs or thereabouts the year before. It tends to be a team coming out of the blue from the mid-table/lower mid-table mark and taking the league by storm. So I don't think we're any less likely than Notts County/Yeovil/Boreham Wood etc to be in the mix.

We have a strong strike force headed by one of, if not the best, strikers at this level, which also includes a player in Angelo Balanta who is capable of moments of excellence to win a game on his own. It will be difficult, with several teams putting strong sides together on the surface, but I expect us to at least be a play-off contender.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Chigwellian

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:02 pm

2019/20 champions Barrow jumped nine places from the season before. 2018/19 champions Leyton Orient jumped eleven places from the season before. 2017/18 champions Macclesfield jumped eight places from the season before. 2016/17 champions Lincoln jumped twelve places from the year before. And so on...
Even us. 2005/06 finished 10th .. 2006/07 finished 1st
Dagdale

Think that's around the mark a 5th or 6th place and feed in with a shout of the play offs around late March but havn't we been down this road before a season gets ready to start we've signed the odd good ones and we don't seem to click come kick off and worse seem to lose to teams even at home who even their fans are surprised to walk out of the ground with 3 points? Somehow though now in a gaffer we really believe has been the best choice for ages and knows what's in front surely we have more of a chance now to grab the Holy Grail. Think a big part of this is the potential great combination of Paul MacCallum and Darren McQueen, every time I've seen these two against us have been really impressed and perhaps with Angelo falling a bit behind with those three in attack surely it'll be game on. Other sides to look out for? Sure Notts County and Yeovil will be back in there and like us Stockport have been building their squad good but this term under a more stable Chesterfield and a good coach in John Pemberton think the Spireites could turn it at last.
BarkingRambo

Last season we had one of the best defences in the league conceding fewer goals than some of the play off teams. It was purely our goalscoring that let us down. We have lost 2 of our best defenders but we had that all be it dull but unbeaten spell when Gordon was unfavoured or at Dartford so as much as it is a big loss to not have him we did ok at the back when he wasn't in the squad before. Fingers crossed this rest is good for Clarke, before he had his concussion he was outstanding but when he came back he was just a second or two off with his tackling which made him a bit of a liability at points. We needed forwards and now we have the golden boot winner in the Conference South and one of the top goalscorers in the Conference, both with different playing styles to bring to the team as well as an exciting young winger that could do the seemingly impossible and get Chris Dickson scoring goals.

We are definitely capable of pushing the top this season. I don't want to say things like title chase but if they gel then we have an outstanding GK, a decent back line, good depth in midfield and some exciting attacking players...could there be an Oxford style battle for the top again with Notts County...Doesn't feel completely out there.