Hang on... two potentially decent strikers??

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Lcbdagger

Getting there...
BarkingRambo

I don't want to get over excited about this squad but finding it very hard. Probably one of the strongest squads we have had since the season Ferrier signed for the club (try to remember the start more than the finish of that one). Bring on next season.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Well we lost so many points last two seasons simply because we could not put the ball in the net. Looks another promising Signing.

Do you ever think we will sign anybody who has neither played for Barnet or Ebsfleet ?
ThatRoundThing

We watched McQueen play for Ebbsfleet v Spurs U23 in a preseason friendly 2 seasons ago and he ripped Spurs apart who were managed by Wayne Burnett. I remember raving about him on this forum. Don’t know how our “scouting system” missed him and let him go to Dartford.
Dag82

Looks like another great signing.

This is the difference with Daryl, over Taylor.

He knows the division, and has lots of contacts / good previous working relationships, with decent, proven players.

The business we have done so far, really does look good, and we have every reason to feel optimistic, going into the new season.

COYD.
Amber SUFC

ThatRoundThing wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:16 pm We watched McQueen play for Ebbsfleet v Spurs U23 in a preseason friendly 2 seasons ago and he ripped Spurs apart who were managed by Wayne Burnett. I remember raving about him on this forum. Don’t know how our “scouting system” missed him and let him go to Dartford.
He was at Sutton after leaving Ebbsfleet, didn’t do too well. Maybe the season at Dartford has worked for him.
Mark

I think he's decent but wouldn't get too carried away. He had injuries at ebbsfleet and Sutton which probably limited him, but he never really shone in the chances he did get. I know he's had a great goalscoring season at the lower level and got regular games, but I think less than half were in open play (although he did win a lot of those penalties himself).

I would quite like him on the left of a front 3 I think, but I doubt that system will be used as it doesn't suit Deering or Balanta.

We've got a lot of decent players but it remains to be seen how we can fit them into a system to create a good unit. I can see us switching between 352 and 442 - wing backs makes it easier to accommodate both Balanta and Deering, which I think is very important for our success, but McCallum probably needs proper wingers to get the best out of him. At the moment I'm seeing different types of players coming in but they don't all fit a clear system.

I still think we are short a top centre back, we'll ship a lot of goals with Kenny and Reynolds in the middle imo. I also think out wide in a 442 we currently only have Saunders who we can't expect to produce immediately and Weston on whom the jury is very much out. He might put Deering there as he mentioned last week, or even McQueen, but I think we could be short if 442 is a prolonged choice.
Dag82

Maybe 2 more players required:

A like for like type replacement for Manny.

&

Another experienced type Winger or Wing Back.

It has to be 352 for me, in order to fit in both Deering & Balanta.
RayleighDagger1986

If we play with a 3-5-2 then another centre half is needed.
McMahon did say at last weeks forum that he thinks Phipps has the potential to play centre half. He really rates Phipps!
DevonDagger

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:51 pm Well we lost so many points last two seasons simply because we could not put the ball in the net. Looks another promising Signing.

Do you ever think we will sign anybody who has neither played for Barnet or Ebsfleet ?
Saunders hasn't played for either, but I must admit I didn't quite expect so many who have literally played or managed by Daryl.

To be honest the one that has me puzzled is Eletheriou. No idea whether we offered him a new contract as a wing option or one of the back three role. We also still have Croll as more than solid enough backup, if he's not a starter.

Team looks much stronger than last season already, bar possibly the defence but perhaps could be wrong there.

If Quigley and Grant have no future here, we have no backup to McQueen and McCallum for injuries, unless you play Balanta in that role rather than behind them.

I wonder if people think this team looks better than the one that missed out in the play-offs with Whitely, Hawkins etc?
AVincelotFlyingLeap

ThatRoundThing wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:16 pm We watched McQueen play for Ebbsfleet v Spurs U23 in a preseason friendly 2 seasons ago and he ripped Spurs apart who were managed by Wayne Burnett. I remember raving about him on this forum. Don’t know how our “scouting system” missed him and let him go to Dartford.
ThatRoundThing wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:16 am Star for Ebbsfleet was no. 14 Darren McQueen, reminded me very much of Dwight Gayle, gave defenders a torrid afternoon and scored the first from Connors cross.
ThatRoundThing, 2017
Mark

DevonDagger wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:57 pm
SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:51 pm Well we lost so many points last two seasons simply because we could not put the ball in the net. Looks another promising Signing.

Saunders hasn't played for either, but I must admit I didn't quite expect so many who have literally played or managed by Daryl.

To be honest the one that has me puzzled is Eletheriou. No idea whether we offered him a new contract as a wing option or one of the back three role. We also still have Croll as more than solid enough backup, if he's not a starter.

Team looks much stronger than last season already, bar possibly the defence but perhaps could be wrong there.

If Quigley and Grant have no future here, we have no backup to McQueen and McCallum for injuries, unless you play Balanta in that role rather than behind them.

I wonder if people think this team looks better than the one that missed out in the play-offs with Whitely, Hawkins etc?
I expect Eleftheriou will be right wing back. I doubt Saunders would start in a 352.

I would also hope that it's a front 2 of Balanta and McCallum to start with. Trying to shoe horn both of those and McQueen into the xi is likely to throw off the balance entirely.

I'd hope Croll is first choice centre back but I don't expect it to be the case. He's definitely the strongest of the 3 we have at the moment.

For me, on paper this squad isn't as good as the one that made the playoffs, in fact I'd say it's quite a lot short of that. But the business isn't done yet and football isn't played on paper!
Dag82

Clark confirmed as Captain for next season, so I guess he is in the starting lineup.

2017 team was better, as it stands, but getting closer now...
daggersjeff

Dag82 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:18 pm Clark confirmed as Captain for next season

wheres this from?
ThatRoundThing

AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:25 pm
ThatRoundThing wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:16 am Star for Ebbsfleet was no. 14 Darren McQueen, reminded me very much of Dwight Gayle, gave defenders a torrid afternoon and scored the first from Connors cross.
ThatRoundThing, 2017

I thank you very much Sir for finding that post. Not sure I could have. Cheers.