Coronavirus

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:17 pm Look.at the Health and Safety at Work Act .
Basically Players have a legal right to remain in a Place of safety and not be forced to expose themselves to Danger.

Footballers have the same legal right as any other workers and for all we know there may have been one or more players who decided to exercise that right. Given the circumstances you cant blame them and just like me and you may have at risk People in their everyday lives. Some of these players are Young men some may still be living at home with mum.dad even Grandma and Grandad any of who could be in the at risk Category
It would also daft to think that Players dont communicate with Players at other Clubs.

It could be the case that Players wishing to exercise their legal rights did not do so until Saturday Morning and if they did there is nothing the Club could do about it and long may that legal right continue
So I can just ring work tomorrow and quote some
act? Hahahahahaha everyone would be doing it.

Seems that Woking are going for the three points with that statement release.
DaggerJoel11

ARNU wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:50 pm
DaggerJoel11 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:17 pm
ARNU wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 am From the moment the prem league announced matches were being cancelled it was always going to be off. When the national League said they were going ahead and your chairman says he'd never endanger fans or his players PERIOD! that is surely a bit of a glaring indication of things to come. Then other games in the same league also cancel and the general consensus of your fans forum is to cancel,...... If you've then climbed on a train anyway to go to a game that is definately gonna get cancelled got halfway or even there and it's then cancelled,.........must be Thommos fault !!
My mate was born without situational awareness, he got all the way to Man city v whu the other week when the weather was awful. I told him it would be cancelled and he'd find it hard to get a train. He went anyway, game cancelled, couldn't get a train back.
This was always gonna be called off.And rightly so !
Games went ahead in our league yesterday. On Friday I thought there was no chance of our one happening but then it got to Saturday and both clubs were putting out previews and 'Matchday' tweets which hardly indicates it'll be off. Just because our owner was critical also doesn't mean it'll be off - Chesterfield posted a statement openly slamming the National League yet still travelled and played Dover.
Joel,........... If I own a football club and i pay the wages and I don't want to play that it what will happen mate. Especially if I'd said I'd not support the league's decision PERIOD ! on social media.
Did you honestly think it was going ahead ? Do you honestly think your interest in football is more important than my old mum's health ?

It's shit mate but the national League are tossers on this occasion. 14 more dead today I just saw on sky.
We can all agree games shouldn't have gone ahead when it was obvious that went against the wishes of most clubs. That's frustrating because what unites us all on here is that we love football and love our club, though health comes first. And, therefore, no I don't think my interest in football is more important than your mother's health.

I didn't think for a second the game was going ahead when I read Freund's tweet and was expecting a tweet confirming as such. When that didn't come and Saturday arrived, I thought the game would be on because as I've said, being openly critical about the decision to play games doesn't mean you don't intend to fulfill them. Chesterfield's owner slammed the league - they still played. Eastleigh slammed the league - they still played. I can understand not playing, of course I can, but it could and should have been announced before 11.30am. If we'd have announced that we thought it was too big a risk to play the game and therefore wouldn't be, everybody would've understood.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
SteveW

Diggerthedog wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:46 pm
SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:17 pm Look.at the Health and Safety at Work Act .
Basically Players have a legal right to remain in a Place of safety and not be forced to expose themselves to Danger.

Footballers have the same legal right as any other workers and for all we know there may have been one or more players who decided to exercise that right. Given the circumstances you cant blame them and just like me and you may have at risk People in their everyday lives. Some of these players are Young men some may still be living at home with mum.dad even Grandma and Grandad any of who could be in the at risk Category
It would also daft to think that Players dont communicate with Players at other Clubs.

It could be the case that Players wishing to exercise their legal rights did not do so until Saturday Morning and if they did there is nothing the Club could do about it and long may that legal right continue

Oh do fcuk off you cnut.
Diggerthedog

:grin:
SteveW

When Arnu becomes the voice of reason on here you know the world has changed.
NickMurphy

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:48 pm Statement from Woking.
https://www.wokingfc.co.uk/news/article ... ball-club/
Pathetic statement that doesn't say anything helpful. If I was a cynic, and I am, I'd say they're fishing for the three points.

I would also be amazed in all of this if, given Freund's Tweet on Friday, we hadn't tried to contact Woking on the Friday to agree a mutual postponement as per other teams in the league. Obviously don't know that for certain, but I'd say it's likely.

And given that Woking played Barnet on the Tuesday and four members of their staff/players are self-isolating, I'd say we're well within our rights to not travel to the match, even if it was a bit of a last-minute call.

Basically this is all down to the National League making a complete hash of it on Friday through greed and opportunism. In the end it's backfired on them and given the league some bad PR as a result. Everyone could have handled the situation better after that but ultimately I think we did the right thing in the circumstances.
Alan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/

This is why you stop mass gatherings.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Diggerthedog wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:46 pm

Under section.44 of the Act and you were acting in good faith you can refuse to enter any work place that was liable to be harmful to your health.

Would think given the advice by the Government that a Dressing Room used days earlier by a team that has since had reason to isolate players was both a rational and not an unreasonable one.

It is clear that something came to the attention of our Club and if they thought there was a chance our players and staff were at risk then I support them for the decision they made, shame that some of our supporters dont support our Club in tough decisions that obviously had to be made off the pitch.
ARNU

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:48 pm
DaggerJoel11 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:17 pm

Games went ahead in our league yesterday. On Friday I thought there was no chance of our one happening but then it got to Saturday and both clubs were putting out previews and 'Matchday' tweets which hardly indicates it'll be off. Just because our owner was critical also doesn't mean it'll be off - Chesterfield posted a statement openly slamming the National League yet still travelled and played Dover.
Joel,........... If I own a football club and i pay the wages and I don't want to play that it what will happen mate. Especially if I'd said I'd not support the league's decision PERIOD ! on social media.
Did you honestly think it was going ahead ? Do you honestly think your interest in football is more important than my old mum's health ?

It's shit mate but the national League are tossers on this occasion. 14 more dead today I just saw on sky.
We can all agree games shouldn't have gone ahead when it was obvious that went against the wishes of most clubs. That's frustrating because what unites us all on here is that we love football and love our club, though health comes first. And, therefore, no I don't think my interest in football is more important than your mother's health.

I didn't think for a second the game was going ahead when I read Freund's tweet and was expecting a tweet confirming as such. When that didn't come and Saturday arrived, I thought the game would be on because as I've said, being openly critical about the decision to play games doesn't mean you don't intend to fulfill them. Chesterfield's owner slammed the league - they still played. Eastleigh slammed the league - they still played. I can understand not playing, of course I can, but it could and should have been announced before 11.30am. If we'd have announced that we thought it was too big a risk to play the game and therefore wouldn't be, everybody would've understood.
I àgree that letting people wait till 11.30 to hear of postponement was unnecessary. But Freund's statement and the speed of circumstances changing all pointed towards what was glaringly obvious. You put your points well Joel. I think football might be off for some time unfortunately.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
ThatRoundThing

Not sure if this angle has been mentioned yet. I’ve been wondering if Reading raised an objection re Ben House playing or maybe the player himself.
EFL Clubs told games off, Reading EFL Club that Ben House is a player from. Would there have been problems with the player’s club insurance that I presume they have on him?
DaggerJoel11

ARNU wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:01 pm
DaggerJoel11 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:48 pm

I àgree that letting people wait till 11.30 to hear of postponement was unnecessary. But Freund's statement and the speed of circumstances changing all pointed towards what was glaringly obvious. You put your points well Joel. I think football might be off for some time unfortunately.
Yep completely understand. We'll just have to find some ways to fill the void until it returns!

Of course there are a number of logistical issues for football authorities have to solve. In an ideal world things resume in early-April and the excess fixtures are accommodated in May, thus making it delayed income and not lost income for clubs, but I don't see that happening in a million years. Or cut your losses, declare it null and void and start again as it would've anyway in August, which would be devastating for teams like Barrow who may never be in this position again for years. Someone's gonna lose out somehow.

None of that is important, though, in the face of a global pandemic which is priority right now.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Dagger83

Alan wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:03 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/

This is why you stop mass gatherings.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dj johnny b

Yes that Washington Post article is a must read.
This is also spot on for the likes of us:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51902553
DaggerJoel11

Dagenham Club Statement on Saturday's postponement: https://daggers.co.uk/news/-M2ZB1CljMylP4w9q_Wp
Alan

The folly of football carrying on as long as it did.

https://www.insider.com/coronavirus-ata ... ead-2020-3