Pondfield Road Parking

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mark

How useful. So we lease a ground from the council who have decided to make a play against matchday parking without any consultation with the club, and not given the club any time to come up with a plan or advice. I don't even know where I'd find parking after half 2 on a matchday in this situation. Council likes the club as part of the community when it suits them I guess.
ARNU

I live about half a mile from Harold Wood station. For 25 years I've had to put up with commuters parking along my road and quite often over my drive regardless of whether my vehicles were on it or not so I was happy when they finally restricted parking here. II haven't slashed a tyre since lol! I guess it's the same for the residents in Pondfield road. Imagine coming home from work Saturday afternoon and not being able even to get outside your own house with your car . Now I'm inconvenienced by this but I do get it. Maybe the club could negotiate with the council on this matter.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Daggernewbie

PONDFIELD ROAD JCT WITH ALIBON RD (JUST PAST) TO REEDE ROAD so look out for parking restriction signs. So you still can get close to the ground by parking on Wantz road.
RayleighDagger1986

Daggernewbie wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:56 pm PONDFIELD ROAD JCT WITH ALIBON RD (JUST PAST) TO REEDE ROAD so look out for parking restriction signs. So you still can get close to the ground by parking on Wantz road.
There's double yellow lines in places along there. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the away coaches. We need to rethink the car park usage on match days.
Diggerthedog

It's a cash cow for fines, only 5% of residents replied to the consultation. Parking is not that bad and barely went past the school on matchdays. If I do drive and cant park down wantz road I wont me making my son trek stupid walking distances and simply wont be attending. if it becomes common place not to find parking a season ticket wont be a viable option.

Surprised the club have not taken this up formally with the council, but i guess we're at their disposal on everything.
Daggerfrom70s

Guessing the club are not too bothered if they think most supporters are local. Makes it a little difficult when you have a 30+ mile round trip with limited parking options
BB-Dagger

I would think that the club will have to act pretty quickly on this or as Diggerthedog says people will stay away if they can’t park, that goes for traveling fans as well. I used to drive and park near the ground but I’m fortunate in that I now have an over 60’s oyster and my son has his tube season ticket. I also think a majority of fans aren’t local.
Mark

I reckon the majority of our home fans drive to games but maybe they could or have run a survey to get real data.

They already put double yellows on wantz road as mentioned above, when single timeboxed yellows would've sufficed for weekday businesses on that road. Sometimes you already end up by the top of the road which is quite far enough already.

It's obviously a cash cow and lacks any real support.
Dagger Steve

Most supporters are not local - as in not walking distance or on a viable bus route. I honestly believe this will have a sufficient impact on attendance.

Only option I can see is to build a new ground with a massive car park. Who wants to have a word with the owners?
Dag82

Am thinking this could surely be a money making opportunity for the club, to now offer some paid parking.

On the industrial estate off Wantz Road, there is a fair bit of parking space.

Maybe they can strike a deal with somebody around there, to use on Saturday match days.
Auntie Merge

Mark wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:45 pm I reckon the majority of our home fans drive to games but maybe they could or have run a survey to get real data.

They already put double yellows on wantz road as mentioned above, when single timeboxed yellows would've sufficed for weekday businesses on that road. Sometimes you already end up by the top of the road which is quite far enough already.

It's obviously a cash cow and lacks any real support.
Agree. I live very close to a tube station and we have restricted parking round here, but it is nearly all single yellow lines with no parking between 1pm and 2pm Monday to Friday to stop commuters.
It means when that little team who play at the London stadium are at home on a Saturday that our road fills up with cars, but that is part and parcel of living somewhere convenient for transport.

However, it isn't convenient to get to the Daggers from where I am, and any journey via public transport takes 1 hour plus each way as opposed to 30 mins in the car. (or when I'm feeling energetic and the wind is blowing in a particular direction and it isn't raining, or cold, and I haven't been to the gym before the game and don't intend to go shopping after the game, or for a drink, or on somewhere else, and I know we're going to win, because other wise the ride home is truly depressing, I cycle to games. Even that takes 45 mins).
dagger4eva

The Pipe Major (currently) offers 4 hrs free parking.

Also the earlier shout from someone about May&Baker was a good one. A bloody ginormous car park over there. Club could direct people to park in there for free. Quick walk down the alley way brings you out on Rainham Rd South by the bookies. Job done!
leewilson

Diggerthedog wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:01 pm It's a cash cow for fines, only 5% of residents replied to the consultation. Parking is not that bad and barely went past the school on matchdays. If I do drive and cant park down wantz road I wont me making my son trek stupid walking distances and simply wont be attending. if it becomes common place not to find parking a season ticket wont be a viable option.

Surprised the club have not taken this up formally with the council, but i guess we're at their disposal on everything.
And only about half of that 5% backed it anyway. Very frustrating this.
rebeldagger

dagger4eva wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:50 am The Pipe Major (currently) offers 4 hrs free parking.

Also the earlier shout from someone about May&Baker was a good one. A bloody ginormous car park over there. Club could direct people to park in there for free. Quick walk down the alley way brings you out on Rainham Rd South by the bookies. Job done!
Was beginning to think I may have got it wrong. I never realised the size of the place till I decided to skip my usual bus route and take a leisurely stroll to the game from Romford, taking a detour via the May & Baker opened my eyes to the enormity of it, there's supermarkets with smaller parking lots!
Shoebury Dagger

This is a game changer for me. I've only been over 4 times this season mainly because of boredom watching the end of the Peter Taylor era. I was just starting to get enthused again and was planning on coming Saturday, but not now. I'm not local and as it stands, I have no idea where I can/should park. I have an hour's drive each way for games, and don't fancy another aimless drive when I arrive checking parking restriction signs on the off chance I can actually find somewhere to park.
I don't mind a walk, or paying a few quid to park, but until there is somewhere identified relatively close to the ground to park I will restrict my attendance to evening games (if there any more this season)
I agree with comments from others about the use of a car park e.g. M&B's. Seems like the most sensible solution.