What about the players?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Taylor has obviously kopped it but which players do you think are not upto it?

My favourite was Luque but he’s been useless for quite a while. Bit of a passenger. Maybe he fell out with Taylor but for me he’s skilful and lazy. I’m not sure it was such a bad thing to drop him for Bromley as he was totally anonymous v Ebbsfleet.

He needs to get his finger out now and take any chances like it’s the cup final because it looks like he don’t give a shit.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
DevonDagger

There are honestly so many players out there, at all levels, who in a winning free-scoring team will look absolute world beaters but drop them into a struggling team and look totally inept. So truthfully, it is hard to say.

I don't worry too much about our defence. I think they have probably been overworked recently and we haven't taken too many hidings despite dismal performances (Fylde and Bromley are the only ones that currently jump to mind). None of the strikers have consistently impressed though and I am concerned our midfield somehow isn't working very well with the defence nor the attack, but whether there are individuals to blame I'm not sure. Glad I'm not a manager, can't do tactics!
Diggerthedog

I’ll give them all a clear slate, the focus under a Taylor was defend at all costs then attacking which sucks the life out of any ability they have attacking wise. Let’s see what they do with the shackles and new ideas. The baffling selections players playing out of positions and starting one game and not even in the squad next match has been far from helpful to any player trying to build momentum.

It’s a massive second chance now to all of them, a new manager will hopefully sort a few of them out and any duds can be binned.
IanC

Just show em the Aldershot video and tell them that’s how both them and the management should approach every game.Not just when the owners are in town!
NBDag

Aside from Graham, and arguably Dobson, there isn’t a player who hasn’t proved their worth at some point over the past year. Taylor 100% lost the dressing room which effects performances. I think they will all bounce back and perform better than we have seen for a long time
DevonDagger

NBDag wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:07 pm Aside from Graham, and arguably Dobson, there isn’t a player who hasn’t proved their worth at some point over the past year. Taylor 100% lost the dressing room which effects performances. I think they will all bounce back and perform better than we have seen for a long time
I've seen Graham leave plenty of defenders for total dead, he seems to be incredibly quick. Just not sure he'll ever chip in the odd goal which good wingers seem to do.

Dobson was recently emphatically voted as midfielder of the century for Slough Town. Only one division below us aren't they? I haven't been particularly impressed with what I've seen though so far.

You can make a case for a lot of the players in our squad. It will be very interesting under new management how they get on. They haven't been dreadful all season!
Dag82

Think Defensively, we haven't been too bad at all, apart from an annoying weakness with set pieces, but we rarely let in more than one a game, which to state the obvious, should have meant more points on the board, than we have got.

We all know where the big problem has been, and Taylor failed miserably to recruit correctly there, in the summer.

Garrard has a great record on bringing in strikers at BW, who know what that net, with the 2 sticks in between, is there for.

Really hope we can get it done.
Lcbdagger

Can't give the Defence a complete clear run given the position we are in and the number of losses... but I can't help but feel that both they and the goalkeeper are playing knowing that one mistake or one goal to put us 1-0 behind at the moment is a sure sign of an impending defeat as we have no goals in us to save matches... That extra pressure can't possibly be doing any favours on those playing at the back.

Playing Devil's Advocate however to my own post, you would think the Defence wouldn't be the biggest issue when you play (as many said the other day) effectively seven defensive players in a team of 11... That sort of side should never be getting beat by 4 or 5 any week
Kevin

Personally, I think this is one of the worst squads we've had since the Cusack/Carr era.

We have a decent keeper - without which, we would be bottom of the table.

The defence + midfield could be, at best, described as "workmanlike".

We do not currently have a single National League standard forward at the club.

For me, the main reason for Taylor's necessary departure was ultimately his appalling recruitment in the summer.

Lots to do for any potential new manager coming in - highest priority has to be to get a couple of forwards in.

:blink:
Coydagger

Kevin wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:39 am Personally, I think this is one of the worst squads we've had since the Cusack/Carr era.

For me, the main reason for Taylor's necessary departure was ultimately his appalling recruitment in the summer.

Lots to do for any potential new manager coming in - highest priority has to be to get a couple of forwards in.

Totally agree Kevin. Teams who don’t have goals get relegated every season. Our goals are on the treatment table. Everyone thought House was the golden boy, truth is he hasn’t looked like scoring ever since that Aldershot game.

People talk about Deering, yes on paper he’d improve our creativity in midfield but he has only played one game against Aldershot as well, and everyone looked a million dollars that day.

The new manager’s priority will be to find someone capable of putting the ball in the net. And live in hope Balanta can partner him ASAP.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Kevin wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:39 am Personally, I think this is one of the worst squads we've had since the Cusack/Carr era.

Think you are correct and our failure to sign even a half decent Centre Forward has exposed this.

7 defeats by the odd goal and 8 draws means that a fit Balanta and Wilkinson type could have hidden the brutal truth and given everybody rose tinted Glassses.Owing to the poorness of the League the very low bar of Play Offs would surely have been achieved