Martin Peters RIP

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

England , West-ham and spurs legend sadly died today. He wrote me a letter when I was a boy and sent me a signed photo. Still got it somewhere. Very sad. RIP.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
jag

Just felt i must add my sincere condolences to his family, Martin was a close family friend of ours as we lived and played football together in Raydons Road where we all lived, Martin used to take me and his younger brother to the West Ham training ground at Chadwell Heath where we used to meet some of the players, my memories are many especially one day after a training session we were returning home in Martins car along Whalebone Lane when he stopped to let Ronnie Boyce out, Ronnie returned to the car with a brown paper bag ( remember those?) full of apples which we all had one each, 2 weeks later Ronnie scored the winning goal at Wembley in the cup final against Preston North End, to a young kid like me going to the training ground and getting an apple at the same time was a big thing then, Martin also used to collect his brother and me from Fanshaw school before playing a kick about over Parsloes Park, Martins mum took David his brother and me to Heathrow Airport one day to see off the England youth team who I think were going to play Austria and it was Martin's international debut, in those days there were no trains to the airport so we had to travel by tube to Hounslow West and catch a bus where we arrived just in time to see the plane lift off and that was it, I think Martins mum was worried about him going as this was his 1st trip abroad. My uncle took me to Filbert Street the old Leicester City ground where West Ham lost 1-0, on the platform after the match I surprised Martin who was talking to Johnny Sissons I told him I had seen the game and he said I thought you supported Arsenal John!! ( which I did and still do along with the Daggers of course.
Martin was able to get 2 complimentary tickets for Dave and me for the next Arsenal v West Ham game at Highbury soon after the new season had started after England won the World Cup in 1966 I remember sitting high in the East stand when Geoff Hurst missed a sitter and I shouted out to the England hat rick hero Hurst your rubbish !! the women sitting in the row in front of me said sit down and shut up ( oh shit ) Dave told me it was geoff's wife, Arsenal lost that day 0-3 a bad bad day. So many more thoughts about Martin, I will be sending Dave and his wife my condolences RIP Mart.
Diggerthedog

Thanks for sharing your story.

I met him down Raydons road right by the end at Parsloes Park when I was young and was very star struck, think his parents still lived there (could be wrong) he would have retired at this point. He went back in the house and got a pen and paper for himself to sign to give me and my pal his autograph.
Benno

I used to go to The Warren school and of a dinnertime run down to the old training ground at the bottom of Saville Rd to get autographs. Martin, Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst and a few others signed the inside of my english book, wish I could find it now.
Condolences to his family
Floydman

My father who taught at the Warren used to manage Dagenham boys. Martin was his captain. My father would often drive Martin to international matches when he was selected for England. Fabulous player and will be sadly missed