GARRY HILL

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

I have it on very good authority that Garry Hill was offered the job before Taylor only to be effectively over-ruled by the Crystal Palace supporting non entity that is Dave Bennett, who made sure Taylor was signed up.

When Taylor is finally sacked (and surely that time is almost nigh) - the next appointment will actually confirm who is running the club.

If it's some-one completely new, fresh and previously unconnected to the club its safe to say Peter & Craig are the real decision makers.

If either Garry Hill or Stilly are re-appointed you can be sure that Thompson is still calling the shots.

I know what I'm expecting......
NickMurphy

We cannot appoint Garry Hill. Are we a club going forwards or going backwards? Because you know what happens if we appoint him, he'll be given a short-term deal until the summer, he'll keep us up and then the owners will almost certainly be persuaded into extending his contract into next season and we'll be in the same position in 12 months time. Burnett should've been let go in the summer, it was plainly obviously change was needed but was rewarded with a new contract. Taylor should've been let go last summer when it was plainly obvious we weren't going anywhere under him. If we appoint Hill, exactly the same thing will happen next summer.

We need to stop giving the eye to the same old faces and start moving forward.
IanC

This is all getting ****** tedious now,we are going nowhere!
Taylor has to go immediately and probably others,I leave you lot with that.
We were on our knees begging for handouts and someone to bail us out.In the end we got that but have still gone backwards.
Don’t know where this might end but National south is a good bet.The Americans have gotta start running this club as opposed to the people that actually are,or stop wasting everyone’s time.
Very very angry 😡 😡😡
Mark

If this continues much longer I'd consider Garry Hill as an emergency option to try to keep us up. But I doubt I'd keep him longer term.
Auntie Merge

Mark wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:03 pm If this continues much longer I'd consider Garry Hill as an emergency option to try to keep us up. But I doubt I'd keep him longer term.
My view too.
Dagdale

I've always been an advocate of hoping that at our level clubs don't get like the bigger clubs and a fall of a few lost games the Manager get's the bullet but I really can't see our playing standards rising up under the current climate whether we have a fully fit squad or not, obviously its running thin now on the status of our Management staff and respect the owners are very busy and committed in the affairs in the States but the writing has been on the wall of our fall for far too long now action is needed urgently and to be here, not one of us thought we'd storm this League become a Chelsea or Manchester City but other than the odd walk out of a game its tedious and still trying to get me head round why we can't seem to score goals and move the back of the net. There must be a fleet of groomed young Managers who'd love a crack here, quite like the idea of a Stimson, Garrard and a Cureton and even if it happens and in places still falls a bit how nice would it be to be at least 100 per cent committed to each other and try to go forwards.
Mark

Taylor seems like a manager who wants to defend with 11 and attack with 2 or 3. He's relying on the magic players like Balanta to make a poor team good enough. His other creative recruitment like Luque and Dobson you have to say, has failed massively. His forward recruitment in terms of goals has failed massively - every forward we have at the club has (varying) attributes but they all need to play with a clinical penalty box player.

To me, you need a more adventurous gameplan in entirety, but also you need better players in all areas of the pitch. Our captain has cost us almost a goal a game lately, our midfield is absolutely sterile.

I think a better manager could eek a few extra percent out of this mob, we know people like McQueen are capable of better than the absolutely garbage form they're showing at the moment, we have seen flashes from some of the newer lads but nothing more than half a game here or there. We might just about stay up with this squad if we act now. But longer term we need yet another overhaul.
CharlieC

After starting with 5 defenders yesterday, it’s easy to criticise Taylor as negative. Of course, for yesterday this is a valid criticism. But actually, the team selection of late has been positive. Yet we’re still failing miserably in front of goal and conceding silly goals.

This shows a massive failing of Taylor and his management team in two areas:

1) Recruitment: out of the signings, the only consistent players have been Croll and Wright. Dobson, Quigley, Grant, Graham simply not good enough.
2) Not getting the best out of the squad we have. Even though the recruitment was poor, this is not a bottom 4 squad. However, under this management we are going that way.

Change need immediately. A young manager with new ideas would be a breath of fresh air.
NBDag

I don’t care how short term things are, we cannot have Hill walking back into the club. This is just classic Dagenham syndrome where we can’t think of new ideas, may as well see if Benno is around to sort out our goal scoring issues!!

Any mug, except one, can keep this squad in the league. We won’t go down and we won’t go up, so let’s get a long term replacement in (if we ever sack Taylor). Short term solutions are exactly that. Is it too much to ask for us to think a bit bigger for once?
Mark

I'm thinking more than anyone decent is unlikely to want to leave their clubs at this time of year when they have promotion ambitions of their own. As you say, any mug can keep us up, so go for a known quantity until may, then try and tempt someone who has just got knocked out of the playoffs.

On the subject of Graham, I think he's looked decent as a sub of late. I think he's worth a bit more of a chance than some of the others, but jury massively out still.

The fact that Wright has been one of the better performers says everything about some of the others, not one other club with ambitions of promotion would have him in the team. Squad perhaps.
Diggerthedog

Think Luque has done ok when played in the right position and with a decent left back behind him, but Taylor expects all these flare players to defend first and attack second and to me that’s just a waste of some talent we do have. Luque the only one plus Wright and Croll I would keep out of all the summer signings. Jury is still out on Odamatey due to his injuries.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Diggerthedog wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:50 pm Think Luque has done ok when played in the right position and with a decent left back behind him, but Taylor expects all these flare players to defend first and attack second and to me that’s just a waste of some talent we do have. Luque the only one plus Wright and Croll I would keep out of all the summer signings. Jury is still out on Odamatey due to his injuries.
Think Attack is lower down.the list of priorities then second
Dag82

dagger4eva wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:38 pm I have it on very good authority that Garry Hill was offered the job before Taylor only to be effectively over-ruled by the Crystal Palace supporting non entity that is Dave Bennett, who made sure Taylor was signed up.

When Taylor is finally sacked (and surely that time is almost nigh) - the next appointment will actually confirm who is running the club.

If it's some-one completely new, fresh and previously unconnected to the club its safe to say Peter & Craig are the real decision makers.

If either Garry Hill or Stilly are re-appointed you can be sure that Thompson is still calling the shots.

I know what I'm expecting......

Heard the exact same story about Hill, being offered the job, before they switched to Taylor.

Also heard that Balanta is virtually out for the season (no idea, how true that is, we will see)

To be clear, my preferred choice would be Garrard, but am now thinking that is unlikely before the summer at best, and we need a relegation rescue act NOW.

Hill gives us a good realistic chance of achieving that.

If we go down, thats a f*****g disaster !!
NickMurphy

You all know how this club works. And I am absolutely convinced that if Hill comes in short-term he'll be rewarded with an extended contract in the summer. Is that what any of us want, or what this club needs?
IanC

If he had still been alive,I would have rather had feckin Benny Hill,than Taylor in charge!