One step forward and Two steps back

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Dagger Steve

dagger4eva wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:13 pm

But never mind, lets just call those people trying to give some constructive criticism "idiots" eh ....

"If these players are the best this idiot can come up with"

"I know how about you work on tactics and team selection, you absolute cretin."

"Right now, I'd probably take Frankie Howard over this gobshite."

Got to love that constructive personal abuse.
Diggerthedog

Here come the snowflake police.
Dagger Steve

:lol:

Far from it mate. Just a balanced individual.

Not all performances/results have been great. Same can be said for the majority of teams in the league.

Taylor isn't a terrible manager. We currently sit in 10th. Could someone else do better? Quite possibly. Could someone else do worse? Yep.

If we are slipping down the table come Christmas, i will probably change my mind. Without the personal abuse of course.
EssexDagger!

It wouldn’t be as bad having a striker in the side who isn't necessarily prolific & included in the team for his link up play, flick ons and laying balls off for midfielders etc IF we actually had midfielders who chipped in with
Goals... but the likes of Dobson,Robinson,Mcqueen, Luque are not chipping in to help take the burden off of Quigley , so the onus therefore falls on your centre forward to get goals...
I don’t think Quiqley is a bad player personally, But I also don’t think he is the answer to get a team in this division a football league place, a good option to have come off the bench as a back up striker but not as your main no9.
the league this year is so weak, if we did have a goal scorer then that could be the difference between finishing mid table or getting promoted in a very tight division with not much separating a load of average sides.
stanton101

EssexDagger! wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:32 pm It wouldn’t be as bad having a striker in the side who isn't necessarily prolific & included in the team for his link up play, flick ons and laying balls off for midfielders etc IF we actually had midfielders who chipped in with
Goals... but the likes of Dobson,Robinson,Mcqueen, Luque are not chipping in to help take the burden off of Quigley , so the onus therefore falls on your centre forward to get goals...
I don’t think Quiqley is a bad player personally, But I also don’t think he is the answer to get a team in this division a football league place, a good option to have come off the bench as a back up striker but not as your main no9.
the league this year is so weak, if we did have a goal scorer then that could be the difference between finishing mid table or getting promoted in a very tight division with not much separating a load of average sides.
Oh my God, a sensible post.
Quick, have him shot.
Alan

Diggerthedog wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:03 pm Here come the snowflake police.
Is using snowflake like the new Godwin’s law?
ARNU

I’ve done a 180 on Quigley. I stand by he was awful at the seasons start but if you watch him he wins an awful lot of balls, his link up and hold up play is pretty good and I think some of the others around him make him look bad.

When I was a Hammer, you’d watch Carlos Tevez play a sublime pass into a space where someone like messi would be but Marlon Harewood or Carlton Cole weren’t clever enough to work it out so Tevez would look like he’d messed up.Quigley does have some qualities that others just don’t.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
BarkingRambo

I agree with some of the thoughts around Quigley that he is improving a lot. He generally wins most crosses that come to him and tries to link someone else up even with almost every defender pulling him back. His play is more Emile Heskey, just now we need someone to step up and attempt to be Michael Owen.

As we don't have any natural centre attacking mids rather than try and shoehorn someone into that role lets try 442 and try Quigley and Kandi up top and see if that could do anything. Against Barrow when Kandi was up top put he was putting crosses into the box with no one to meet them and Quigley was holding the ball up only to not have some struggles finding players to link with, what have we got to lose combining the pair.
NBDag

ARNU wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:54 pm I’ve done a 180 on Quigley. I stand by he was awful at the seasons start but if you watch him he wins an awful lot of balls, his link up and hold up play is pretty good and I think some of the others around him make him look bad.

When I was a Hammer, you’d watch Carlos Tevez play a sublime pass into a space where someone like messi would be but Marlon Harewood or Carlton Cole weren’t clever enough to work it out so Tevez would look like he’d messed up.Quigley does have some qualities that others just don’t.
Completely agree with this. Whilst Quigley still needs to score a lot more my main issue is that other strikers/wingers can’t read him at all. I have some hope that Kandi will be able to pick this up as he is actually showing loads of progress in his game, but the likes of Grant and Dobson aren’t filling me with hope.

However to fix this problem you can’t help but think it’d be easier to replace Quigley’s role rather than the others.
lupins

Quigley is doing ok in hold up play and heading and though his record tells you he will never be prolific how he must long for a winger to get to the by line and chip it up to the far post. Something we never seem to do where our winger beats the full back and does that. Oh for a Mark Janney
Lcbdagger

EssexDagger! wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:32 pm It wouldn’t be as bad having a striker in the side who isn't necessarily prolific & included in the team for his link up play, flick ons and laying balls off for midfielders etc IF we actually had midfielders who chipped in with
I know it's looking miles ahead already but I do fear that the teams coming down from League 2 next season and those possibly coming up (were someone like Billericay to get up and still have some money behind them) will make next season far more competative at the top than this one... a terribly average League to be near the top 6 of compared to previous seasons.

Not sure there really is much with a team like us to separate the bottom half of the table finish to a top 5 finish other than a creative midfielder and a striker who can score... The squad is by no means dreadful but (Balanta aside) there really isn't anyone who does the magic role when the team is underperforming to steal a win from the jaws of a draw/ defeat or sneak us through in a game we are being overrun with a bit of class
dagger4eva

Compare this squad to the one we had that won us the Conference last time out - I know which one I'd prefer to have right now!
Diggerthedog

Lcbdagger wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:39 pm
I know it's looking miles ahead already but I do fear that the teams coming down from League 2 next season and those possibly coming up (were someone like Billericay to get up and still have some money behind them) will make next season far more competative at the top than this one... a terribly average League to be near the top 6 of compared to previous seasons.

Not sure there really is much with a team like us to separate the bottom half of the table finish to a top 5 finish other than a creative midfielder and a striker who can score... The squad is by no means dreadful but (Balanta aside) there really isn't anyone who does the magic role when the team is underperforming to steal a win from the jaws of a draw/ defeat or sneak us through in a game we are being overrun with a bit of class
Will only be one from league two. At the moment nothing to fear down there.
Mike the Dagger

dagger4eva wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:47 pm Compare this squad to the one we had that won us the Conference last time out - I know which one I'd prefer to have right now!
I'd agree with that, pretty sure most would. Aided by that team being club legends now of course.

We had almost no injuries that season though, and when we did have to replace players it was Stevens for CMS and Arber for Boardman (although it was pretty much done by then).
NBDag

dagger4eva wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:47 pm Compare this squad to the one we had that won us the Conference last time out - I know which one I'd prefer to have right now!
Or compare it to the one that got knocked out of the play offs by Forest Green! Think maybe 2 of our current players at very best make that team.