Joe Quigley

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Alan

There’s a whole article, a statement from the owners and a video interview explaining that he wouldn’t have signed for us unless we put in the clause allowing him to leave for a football league club with the release clause being to cover his wages that we had to pay after the end of the season. It’s not something I made up.

I get what you say about the wage budget being used up. Jury is out on Grant and Quigley for me, save that I’d rather have signed Murphy when he left Chelmsford.
Mark

We had a budget which presumably included Wilkinson staying until next summer. Who knows if Grant would have signed but you'd have to expect we'd still have made signings had Wilko stayed.

Therefore we now have 40k fee plus about 100k unused wages until June 2020. That is nearly 3k a week extra money than if Wilko was still here.

I guess we could have spent it on Quigley and Grant combined but that seems unlikely to me, I'd have thought a striker would have come in anyway. So either Quigley is stupidly expensive or we've spent it elsewhere or we've not spent it yet. If it's the first two, I'd expect to have a bit more for my money.
EssexDagger!

Quiqley’s record previously in this division is hardly anything to get excited about but the guy is still
only 22 years of age and I’m sure he has plenty of development still left in him, He knows the league inside out and maybe JUST maybe with a 2 year contract under his belt and a permanent home here at the Daggers (compared to his endless loan moves).. He can find somewhere he enjoys his football and start banging in a few goals for us! Tonight was a good start for him...

In other news I don’t think the bookies have much confidence in us being a free scoring side this season haha, Had a little look at the National League top goal scorer odds and our strikers/forwards are the following odds...

Angelo Balanta 66/1
Chike Kandi 100/1
Joan Luque. 100/1
Reece Grant 100/1

Michael Cheek for Bromley now doesn’t look a bad price at 40-1 though...
Alan

The interview and statements say the fee was the wages we were contracted to pay him in the summer - I doubt was 40k for 2 months, as that would be 5k a week.

We paid a fee for Grant. Who knows what it was, or what the wages for him and Quigley are are, or if he decided to use the budget on someone else.

12 months ago we were struggling to survive because we had over stretched ourselves because of irresponsible decision making in contracts. Let’s get some perspective.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Alan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:21 pm The interview and statements say the fee was the wages we were contracted to pay him in the summer - I doubt was 40k for 2 months, as that would be 5k a week.

We paid a fee for Grant. Who knows what it was, or what the wages for him and Quigley are are, or if he decided to use the budget on someone else.

12 months ago we were struggling to survive because we had over stretched ourselves because of irresponsible decision making in contracts. Let’s get some perspective.
Thats what scares me the most Alan.

We took a hell.of a gamble we committed in january to a player that would cost us over 150k for the 18 months. Then I remember some of the rough stuff he was treated to. Wrexham away he was kicked out the game by halftime.

When.you think about it we got away with one there, we could have ended up with 150k in the treatment room and then we would have been right up the kyber.

Perhaps cutting our losses and getting out with a balanced book on the deal was not such a bad idea and spreading the budget with quantity rather then quality and hopeing one or two come off is a better way for a Club our size to go
LondonDagger

lupins wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm
HGDagger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:13 pm
LondonDagger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm I think a lot of you need to wake up and see that the team we have here is a bottom half team. Hardly any of these players are good enough and comparing Quigley to Wilkinson is a joke. Wilko had a bad attitude and wasn't wanted at Gillingham, however he had and could score goals. Quigley has been down here for a while and was released by Bromley.

Have a look around the table, teams like Stockport, Wrexham, Notts County, York will be up here in a few years. These teams will be fighting for promotions and Taylor just hasn't done enough in this market. He has signed some poor players which are no better than what we have released.
I agree this season will be the most competitive league season since we've been down and we'll be lucky to stay up, however it is still early days, and you just don't know how the team will turn out.
Two of the more ridiculous pre season forecasts and based on what exactly
If you had a half decent footballing knowledge it would make sense, clearly you are part of the % who do not have a clue.
lupins

So thanks for comfirming it is indeed based on nothing and secondly thanks for also confirming I don't have your football knowledge
Mark

I personally don't think we'll be in trouble. I can see that we've signed some of the better players from the clubs in question.

But the opinion we will struggle is far from ridiculous. It's probably not any more ridiculous than saying we'll be top half. Look at the signings we've made:

Strizovic, released by Maidstone, didn't get in the side, relegated.
Manny, obviously a class act but was with us for a long period last season, some of which we struggled.
Croll, never completed a full season due to injury.
Eleftheriou, played for Braintree, relegated.
Odametey, played for Maidenhead who were struggling with relegation for a long period last season.
Brundle, played for Dover who were awful for the first half of the season. Individually fairly impressive though.
Grant, played for Aldershot, relegated.
Graham, loaned out to division below for a decent period of last season. Did quite well once recalled by all accounts.
Dobson, did ok in a decent side, especially considering his first year at this level. However the new manager was fairly quick to say he could leave if he found a new club.
Wood, loaned to Havant, relegated.
Luque, played in the division below.
Quigley, couldn't get in a very average Bromley side, loaned to Havant, relegated.
Wright, my feelings are well known.

Do any of these, on paper, scream success to you?
IanC

Not In July no,ask the same question in Oct/nov.
Diggerthedog

Most of the new players are better than the ones we have let go, certainly a top half finish on the cards. Would have been higher had we got a striker in as good as Wilkinson but that probably won’t happen now.

Grant scored a lot of goals for a team that got relegated so here’s hoping he can add 5-10 more to that tally with players like Balanta around him.

Odamatey will be the legs in midfield we badly missed last season, he will be a fans favourite.

Brundle is a great player, best signing of the summer in my eyes, certainly one to watch.

We have strength in depth this time so no bringing in crap like most of last season when we had injuries/suspension. Still time for 1-2 more in the door, maybe a loan or two to bolster numbers and who knows.

COYD
Oxhead

20/1 with William Hill, get your money on
LondonDagger

lupins wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:45 pm So thanks for comfirming it is indeed based on nothing and secondly thanks for also confirming I don't have your football knowledge
It's frightening that people think the signings we have made are good enough and that this league won't be the most competitive its been? It is astounding. Just look at the teams in the league. Chesterfield etc have money and spent wisely. Even Bromley have had a better window than us. We'll see come end of the season.
LondonDagger

Diggerthedog wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 pm Most of the new players are better than the ones we have let go, certainly a top half finish on the cards. Would have been higher had we got a striker in as good as Wilkinson but that probably won’t happen now.

Grant scored a lot of goals for a team that got relegated so here’s hoping he can add 5-10 more to that tally with players like Balanta around him.

Odamatey will be the legs in midfield we badly missed last season, he will be a fans favourite.

Brundle is a great player, best signing of the summer in my eyes, certainly one to watch.

We have strength in depth this time so no bringing in crap like most of last season when we had injuries/suspension. Still time for 1-2 more in the door, maybe a loan or two to bolster numbers and who knows.

COYD
Strizovic is not better than Moore, Harfield is better than a few, Munns is better than most, its actually amazing how people think we will be top half.
Diggerthedog

LondonDagger wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:27 pm
Diggerthedog wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 pm Most of the new players are better than the ones we have let go, certainly a top half finish on the cards. Would have been higher had we got a striker in as good as Wilkinson but that probably won’t happen now.

COYD
Strizovic is not better than Moore, Harfield is better than a few, Munns is better than most, its actually amazing how people think we will be top half.
Harfield turned down a contract so cant blame the manager on that one, Munns I agree he is good but when you compare his stats last season to Brundle who is a similar player its no contest. This side should be good enough for top ten given the spine that was left over from last season and the additions added.

I love it how people use the this league will be stronger than ever, truth is no one actually knows that but looking at it with Orient and Salford gone and replaced by Yeovil and Notts I would say its not actually stronger. Also Ebbsfleet will be weaker as will Halifax who have just lost their manager and have only 14 players signed up, Aldershot will be down the bottom again and I don't think Harrogate will have as good a season. Sutton another team lost all of their best players and manager.

There are many more teams we can finish above this time around from my view so who knows until it actually gets going. I only see 4 teams as dead certs to finish in the top 7, Fylde, Wrexham, Chesterfield, and Solihull. The rest we start on a level playing field with.
len

Londondagger you seem so negative about the team before we have even kicked a ball and hopefully you will be wrong but we need to get into the season for at least a few games to see exactly where we are. What are do know however, is that twelve months ago there was a huge doubt as to whether we would have a club or not. We managed to avoid relegation which was the best we could achieve after a very precarious financial situation thanks to the new American owners. So twelve months on, we may not get promotion this season nor indeed finish in the playoffs but things look a lot brghter to most people now than then.