Will Wright

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
len

When he played a few games at the end of the season at right back he looked a good player, I am hoping that the manager now has in mind to play him in in his more favoured defensive roles.
Mark

The best I can say for him is that he's young and he did ok at right back.

If he's cover for that position it's probably ok although I doubt he'd leave a football league club to take a low wage and sit on the bench. It worries me that PT genuinely thinks this guy is good enough to start in a conference team every week.

If he plays in midfield then I will be more than worried, I'll think the manager has lost the plot.
TommyD&R

Need to pull some big signing out of the bag if we really are going to compete. Taylor was talking about how he’s not going to sign big names for the sake of it, which is fair enough as it hasn’t worked in the past, but one or two won’t hurt. Especially if those names are Craig Mackail-Smith and Sam Saunders.
BarkingRambo

Listening to the interview he is very honest and said Taylor tried me in midfield and it didn't work, please play me in defence. I thought we should give him a go based on his few games at right back. Lets see what trialists we can get in for the pre season games but as long as we get enough midfielders he never plays there again then he might turn out to be decent.
EssexDagger!

Wonder if we had to fight off any of the other “title contenders” for his signature...

It’s okay saying “another 7 weeks until the season starts, we’ll be fine” but surely it’s better for any potential signings to have pre season with his new teammates especially if they don’t have a club and currently out of contract!
Alan

I saw him at centre back and central midfield and didn’t think he was up to much in either position. I didn’t think he was great at right back - he was better than in the other positions he had played, but not the standard of fullback you expect from a team going for promotion.
Daggerfan

TommyD&R wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 pm Need to pull some big signing out of the bag if we really are going to compete. Taylor was talking about how he’s not going to sign big names for the sake of it, which is fair enough as it hasn’t worked in the past, but one or two won’t hurt. Especially if those names are Craig Mackail-Smith and Sam Saunders.
We need players who are in this league or lower who are on their way up and just coming into their prime. Players like Mackail-Smith and Sam Saunders are usually at the end of their playing career.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Member of the Will Wright fan club here. I thought he really improved over the course of last season and I'm happy we've got him for another year.

Did he ever play centre half for us ? I thought he was good at right back and better in midfield towards the end of the season - I wouldn't want him starting 46 games but hanging around the squad we could do a lot worse.
TommyD&R

Daggerfan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:45 am
TommyD&R wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 pm Need to pull some big signing out of the bag if we really are going to compete. Taylor was talking about how he’s not going to sign big names for the sake of it, which is fair enough as it hasn’t worked in the past, but one or two won’t hurt. Especially if those names are Craig Mackail-Smith and Sam Saunders.
We need players who are in this league or lower who are on their way up and just coming into their prime. Players like Mackail-Smith and Sam Saunders are usually at the end of their playing career.
They could still do it at this level no doubt. Like when we resigned Benno, he wasn’t a regular or prolific but his experience was invaluable and no doubt it rubbed off on Hawkins. These two are still more than capable of playing league football plus they’re winners, which is exactly what we need - experienced winners.
Mark

Agree. I'm all for bringing players through the leagues but it needs balance.

Orient had a good mix last season and won the league despite only having 4 or 5 standout players.

When we won the conference before we had Arber, Uddin and Roberts.

One thing I don't want us to do is sign a load of players just released by football league academy or u23 sides as they are too wet behind the ears generally to do the business.