Get in Joe!

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
daggersjeff

1-0 on his full debut!!
Come on You Daggers!!!
daggersjeff

3-1 and looking like a good result here!

Errm, anyone know what the situation with Corey?
DevonDagger

Word on the commentary was that he picked up a knock against Maidstone but carried on, probably flared up since then.

Very good result. Had a horrible feeling for a period we were going to lose that one. Thought I was going to be right with my 2-1 on the other thread, alas I couldn't care one jot!
We were all over them and the sub they made on 15 mins raised some eyebrows but made a huge difference.

Sounds like Pennell had another shaky one, but good performances from Nunn and Robson in particular.
Frustrating when Ferrier missed a penalty in that fashion, but great response to get up and score the crucial goal late in the second half.

Got to be pleased for White - good start for him.
ARNU

No complaints here, even thought Howells had a good game. Although Ling has improved I can't see him getting back in front of Nunn. Very solid performance by Nunn, quicker, harder tackler and can play the ball well. Pennell still a bit shaky. Nice to know we can do it without whitely too. Pleased for Romaine, should get a start himself.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Adrian

They weren't interested in anything other than a draw.

Great balls in from Howells and Wheeler for the first two goals and Romian took his very well.
Defensively we generally looked fine throughout. Robson, Lokko and Pennell won loads at the back.
Not sure Pennell didn't anything particularly wrong, he does sit very narrow but then isn't being shouted at to stop from the bench, so I'd assume it's what he's supposed to do.

Can't really fault anyone for today, but Fejiri doesn't seem to be doing too well at the moment. Ferrier could do with being a bit more clinical and the penalty was ridiculous.

The officials were pathetic again, but we need to be better at working out what they're doing.
The ref was giving nothing for defenders holding either way so we needed to just get on and do our best around it rather than moaning.
NBDag

Joe looked chuffed when his goal went in, great to see all of the team going over to celebrate with him too. Ben Nunn was my man on the match. Bloke was solid and as much as I like Ling I don't seem him getting ahead of Nunn. Cousins gets a well done for his superb save in the second half, too.
Although Ferrier was nothing short of a muppet with that penalty, have to give him credit to keep persisting especially when the players were constantly fouling him and when it just didn't seem to be his day when they cleared away his shot on the open goal.
My biggest complaint (aside from the ref) has got to be those spastics in the Sieve who kept shouting "hit him" when we were defending. Dunno if they expected Robinson to take note and deck one of their lot, but they either need to give it a rest or go watch Boxing instead.
RM1Dagger

I thought Gateshead looked the better team for significant periods and for me they sensed they could win and but for that save from Cousins they might of.

I'll think they'll come away thinking they deserved something but it's testament to us that we dug it out without our best player and Ferrier not letting the awful pen get to him .Pleased to see Romain get his first , good performance from Nunn and obviously White getting his goal
Now the SE27 Dagger
DaggerJoel11

Spoke to Whitely after the game and he told me he'd be back next week.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Mark

Decent win against a good side. Ferrier took it to them by himself for large parts.

Howells did alright first half but forgot he was there in second, slowly improving so hope he's going to kick on.

Robson excellent and Lokko good other than the og. Nunn looks useful but wouldn't be saying he's definitely in over Ling just yet. Ling has been consistently very good so far.
stanton101

All things considered a very good performance against a decent enough side. Nunn, Robson, lokko all looked solid, but Pennell still looks nervy and unfit to me. Really pleased for White and Romain to get on the scoresheet and Morgan apart from the penalty was a constant menace (even though he was having his shirt pulled off him, for most of the match!) to their back four.
Ref was poor and the lino was worse, but who cares, top of the league.
Well done boys.
leewilson

Surprised at the scathing reaction to the penalty. We've had so many saved over the last year that have all been hit at an easy height for the goalkeeper to save. A few inches lower and Ferrier would be being praised for a cool penalty. Instead, he's a 'muppet' and an 'idiot'. Fine margains. I'd rather give him credit for trying something different. Chips are allowed. It's not disrespectful. It's a very valid skill to attempt.

As for Ferrier, I can't give him enough credit for that 2nd half performance up front. If Cheek is out for a while, then Ferrier has to be the man to lead the line. As much as I like Ollie, I doubt we'd have won today with him in the team. A lot of them long balls would have gone over his head with little hassle. Ferrier is always on the half turn and anticipating the bounce. He was pulled about and manhandled but he gave as good as he got and actually won the penalty along with many other 50/50s in the 2nd half.

Joe White isn't ready yet. Glad he got his goal and he looks like a real prospect. But at 18, he doesn't quite look like he has the positional ability and all round game to be effective at this level yet. He got bullied and didn't have the raw attributes outside the box to be a nuisance. I'd rather he go back out on loan and get another season of senior football under his belt. He's certainly one who can flourish in time.
The Romford Dagger

leewilson wrote:Surprised at the scathing reaction to the penalty. We've had so many saved over the last year that have all been hit at an easy height for the goalkeeper to save. A few inches lower and Ferrier would be being praised for a cool penalty. Instead, he's a 'muppet' and an 'idiot'. Fine margains. I'd rather give him credit for trying something different. Chips are allowed. It's not disrespectful. It's a very valid skill to attempt.

As for Ferrier, I can't give him enough credit for that 2nd half performance up front. If Cheek is out for a while, then Ferrier has to be the man to lead the line. As much as I like Ollie, I doubt we'd have won today with him in the team. A lot of them long balls would have gone over his head with little hassle. Ferrier is always on the half turn and anticipating the bounce. He was pulled about and manhandled but he gave as good as he got and actually won the penalty along with many other 50/50s in the 2nd half.

Joe White isn't ready yet. Glad he got his goal and he looks like a real prospect. But at 18, he doesn't quite look like he has the positional ability and all round game to be effective at this level yet. He got bullied and didn't have the raw attributes outside the box to be a nuisance. I'd rather he go back out on loan and get another season of senior football under his belt. He's certainly one who can flourish in time.

It's always the case with chipped penalties. If it goes in, you are skillfully cheeky. If it misses (or worse.. saves without the keeper moving), you look foolish
Dagger83

I've never understood the need to chip it. Surely it's better to hit it firmer in the same direction? Chipping it just gives the GK more time to react. All for the cameras.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
CrownDagger

That could turn out to be a big win for us. Quite a sloppy performance but still got the win. Why Ferrier felt the need to chip the ball so high God knows. If your going to try a paneka do it softly. Other than that he was superb along with Robson. Howells,White and Nunn also very good.Thought Wheeler looked promising. All in all a good win.
ARNU

If ya gonna go straight down the middle boot it so hard that if the keeper gets to it you at least get a rebound. I suppose hitting the bar gets a rebound too but I think I'd rather see it miss altogether than the chip, if you miss it looks bad as it did today. The keeper dived so a thunderbolt down the middle would have burst the net today. Not gonna give ferrier a hard time tho as he's been great since we got him. He made up for it with the goal and being a constant threat all day.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !