Changes to the National League

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Auntie Merge

These are the changes being voted on at the National League AGM in June

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/the- ... ue-format/
TommyD&R

Not massively keen on this new playoff format, the leagues quite poor as it is standard wise, if a team gets promoted from 7th they might be in a bit of trouble in the football league
dj johnny b

'Big Changes'...my foot!
The most salient line in that is: 'But as yet, the league are no further down the line for three up, three down from the EFL'
No point fiddling with the play off format until that becomes a serious discussion topic.
7th place! Why not have play offs from August onwards, ditch the league idea....
Dagger In The Heart

Stupid idea....playoffs should be kept the same as the EFL. Just need 3 up, no other changes necessary.

American sport really is taking over, blatant copy of the NFL playoffs.
NickMurphy

Gives a genuine advantage to clubs finishing 2nd or 3rd which is positive, but the idea of a team finishing 7th who could feasibly be about 10 points closed to 2nd than they are to the relegation zone in a tight season is pretty ridiculous.
A S dagger97

It also affects the rest of the league, there will probably be a team nailed on to finish 4th with 4/5 games left, they will field weakened sides every week. It'd annoy managers of teams trying to stay up seeing a rival play against a team that's not interested in trying.
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

Or in Dagenhams case, Terribly!
Alan

Utter bollocks.
stanton101

I just wish they'd leave things as they were tbh.
DaggerJoel11

In other words, the National League only want 2nd or 3rd to go up - it ruins the tension of the playoffs. A team could have their place secured with 8 games left and then have nothing to play for. All a midtable club needs to do is have a half-decent run towards the end of the season and creep into 7th! How are we ever gonna get 3 up 3 down when the footballing world will witness this farce next season!?
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Auntie Merge

I don't like it either and tbh, I'm not too overjoyed at 3 up / 3 down either. Didn't we finish 3rd bottom one season in League 2? We'd have been back down here then. Whilst it might make it easier to go up again, who is to say we wouldn't have done a York?
Mike the Dagger

Auntie Merge wrote:I don't like it either and tbh, I'm not too overjoyed at 3 up / 3 down either. Didn't we finish 3rd bottom one season in League 2? We'd have been back down here then. Whilst it might make it easier to go up again, who is to say we wouldn't have done a York?
York finding a way to drop straight through is pretty impressive given the parachute payment TBH.

3 up, 3 down opens up the chances for Non-league sides to climb the greasy pole, and for clubs relegated to get back up, but it isn't going to happen any time soon. The turkeys have to vote for Christmas.
Richie

I don't want 3 up. It should be tough to get into the FL.
mickeyblue

what a crock of shite, end.
but we finished 9th!
A S dagger97

Getting a team into the FL should be tough, thus emphasising the achievement of doing it. The only way I'd have 3 up is by having a play off game between the 22nd team in L2 and 3rd in conference like in Scotland.
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

Or in Dagenhams case, Terribly!
RayleighDagger1986

In Scotland, 2nd to 4th play-off then the winner faces 2nd bottom of the league above.
Personally a relegation place should be played under play off conditions just the same as promotion. Take the season just finished. The 4th bottom spot would be played 21st up to 18th withe the winners of the semi and final staying up. Thus could extend the season for more teams in the lower half of the table making it more competitive as some tend to switch off when safe!!