On play offs

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dj johnny b

Everyone that knows me will recognise my view that play offs are ridiculously unfair and exciting, both at the same time. Whilst we are obsessing about our chances of success (fair I'd say but, of course, only 1 in 4 ) I don't expect Tranmere are wildly enamoured of meeting an in form Aldershot, unbeaten in 10, having finished 13 points above them. Hang on, that all sounds historically familiar, closer to home!
Even more extreme is the scenario in National South where Ebbsfleet who finished on 96 points play Hampton and Richmond who finished just the 27 points beneath them (and only in 7th, not 5th, position but that's another issue). True Ebbsfleet should beat them, especially over 2 legs, but hey...more than a bit bonkers, don't you think?!
NBDag

This year it would look like that, but it's not always the case. Everyone enters the league knowing they could be in the position Tranmere are in, so it's hard for anyone to complain.

Only thing I'd complain about is that it would be good for 3 teams to go up/down between league 2 and the conference. 2 teams going down keeps allowing crap league 2 teams to survive and stops giving decent national league teams a chance to play higher.
dj johnny b

An incidental point: someone called Gavin Glenrick Tomlin played (until substituted) in the Ryman Premier play off yesterday. He didn't score so it couldn't have been...
Winners were Bognor Regis (in front of over 3000) so I expect Craig Robson to be pleased and Sussex Dagger to comment maybe.
Daggernewbie

NBDag wrote:This year it would look like that, but it's not always the case. Everyone enters the league knowing they could be in the position Tranmere are in, so it's hard for anyone to complain.

Only thing I'd complain about is that it would be good for 3 teams to go up/down between league 2 and the conference. 2 teams going down keeps allowing crap league 2 teams to survive and stops giving decent national league teams a chance to play higher.
Would be nice but can you see them changing it considering four teams go down.
DevonDagger

Daggernewbie wrote:
NBDag wrote:This year it would look like that, but it's not always the case. Everyone enters the league knowing they could be in the position Tranmere are in, so it's hard for anyone to complain.

Would be nice but can you see them changing it considering four teams go down.
Personally I think this league should be 3 up, 4 down.
I think 3 up, 3 down would be ideal but with the structure splitting teams north & south below us, that doesn't work.

As for would they change it based on 4 going down? I agree, but doesn't League 1 send 4 down and promote 3 from 24 teams?
SUSSEX DAGGER

dj johnny b wrote:An incidental point: someone called Gavin Glenrick Tomlin played (until substituted) in the Ryman Premier play off yesterday. He didn't score so it couldn't have been...
Winners were Bognor Regis (in front of over 3000) so I expect Craig Robson to be pleased and Sussex Dagger to comment maybe.
Yes it was him and Arnu will be pleased to know that he still runs around a lot but don't seem to do a lot else and they appear to play to his so called strengths. Nice to hear afterwards from Bognor fans he hurdled a careless challenge and stayed on his feet , it would have been a certain penalty by all accounts if there had been contact. He used to fall over a lot for us if I recall

They also had Nathen Green playing for them.

Bognor can have no complaints they tossed the League away twice Losing at Havant and Waterlooville on Easter Monday and then only drawing when they failed to beat Met Police on the last day at home, Jon Nurse runs the Academy there. Havant and Waterlooville left the door open for them by drawing with Kingstonians on the last day . A win in either of them two games would have won them the title.

You are right about Craig, he has a bit of a cult following amongst their number. A few of them plan to make the trip to Wembley if we get there.

The Chairman was delighted he had nearly 4.5 k People attend the two Play off games and very much like us I don't suppose that was budgeted for . You can argue weather the format is right or wrong I suppose but they are a money spinner.

Certainly the standard in the Ryeman League has been very good this year , seen a few take the eye not least the Bognor Goalkeeper who is certainly going places.

The other one I would be interested in is the Groundsman who at least knows how to grow grass the pitch is immaculate and it is not just used by the first team either.

The format they use lower down is interesting where the semi final is a one off game played at the highest placed team , anybody think that would be a fairer way ?
Dagdale

Interesting post and well done to Bognor Regis fc, we certainly got a jewel in grabbing Craig Robson and has made a huge difference to us this season. Yeah did notice that from the NLP only the one play off game, certainly gives teams more effort to finish as high as possible to trigger an home advantage. I think play offs are a great conclusion to the season and the lower end of the divisions even better because the fans have generally been starved of watching their sides perform strongly day in and day out and if the win comes you're on a high much longer, talked about for ages and so looking forward to the oncoming season bringing new challenges and grounds to experience. Don't think I'd honestly change much, but interesting to see the NL board has given a second shot at the Vase/Trophy dual final again this year at Wembley even though there was talk about moving it up into the midlands on a pact more fairer to Northern base clubs but it fell through, wonder what's in the pipeline next?