Tonight`s forum what are your view`s

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Adrian

Northern Redbridgian wrote:Fair point. I imagine the main difference in some people's minds is that they may have thought 'what's the point in becoming a member- what difference is it actually going to make?' If they knew that they and a sizeable number of others (and it would require a sizeable number to be worthwhile) were putting in money that would be invested and which would give the club a chance of moving forward, it might make a difference in the minds of some.
The idea of a sizeable number of our supporters having a real say in how the club is run is terrifying.
The response by Chigwellian demonstrates this.
dj johnny b

Yes, well done Merge. An interesting read but a meeting which leaves more questions than answers I feel.(Did you get satisfactory answers to your 4 questions Alan, posed in another thread for example?).
So...
Am I right in understanding that from Monday we are now completing this season on borrowed money (from where?)?
And we anxiously await another investor(s) appearing over the horizon?
Who/what is the consortium mentioned in one of the answers?
Are the Easts/Goodwins back on the scene?
Are all the people connected with Tamplin off the map now?
So many of the 'financial state of the club' answers I have read over the past few months seem totally contradictory and confusing, indeed almost secretive.
I remain worried but somewhat more positive given yesterday's events where it appears some members picked up the phone and effected their own fit and proper test!
Alan

I didn't go DJ, I was positing what I thought were the 4 most important questions.
Auntie Merge

From the meeting:
It's unlikely that Tamplin will return
They wouldn't say who had plugged the gap but I have a pretty good idea. (If it's who I think it is they are a very good sort and I'll give them a huge hug when I see them). I'm sure you'll understand why this is 'secretive'.

The East/Goodwins might still be around, but it's possible to be a consortium of consortiums. I don't think we are fishing for completely new people and I hope you assume from my comment above, they will be far closer to our club than Tamplin ever was.

Feel positive and not worried. If the investment is secured we'll be alright. I think the people who are not alright are most of the board including Steve Thompson and Dave Bennett.
BarkingRambo

John Goodwin was at the back of the hall last night. I reckon the East consortium will be having a chat very soon about what they might be able to arrange.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Thanks Merge great effort.

I did catch a lot of it online as somebody obviously accidentally left their phone on.

Now I want to say again that I don't have any axe to grind and always believed the Board would act I. The best interest of the Club. That said whilst watching I became a little uneasy .

Firstly this fans forum was going to be held in a period of a radical change to the Club. It can't help me but wonder as to why such a forum was arranged during a time when so many important People were not able to attend, it makes you wonder if this suited People.

It was of great concearn to me that the current Chairman or his deputy was not there and think that if such things as these fans forum are to have any creditabilty then the Board should at least have the curtesy to attend. Sorry but I think the whole thing is tottally disrespectful.

Now the question was asked as to why the Board pulled the deal. It is noted that the MD said that it looked certain the deal would fall when put to the Members.

Now I fully accept that the vote could have been lost but was pulling it in the best interest of The Club.
The process of payments had already started in view of the deposits. We were sold the line that even if the takeover was not completed this money was not refundable. Therefore was it in the best interest of the Club not to see the process through at least the vote. By the Board withdrawing support the money has to be refunded. This decision therefore does not appear in the best interest of the Club because by taking it to the vote the Club would at least recouped some of the money they have wasted on legal and other professional services in trying to process what now appears an absoloute shambles.

It left me with the impression that those in attendence were not being given straight answers and are having something kept from them. The arguement about wasting resources does not stand up because if this had got to the vote stage of the process then the money paid in deposits , which we were told were not refundable would have compensated the Club for the exspense they entailed.

So from where I am standing I have to say that Mr Thompson with his answer was either not telling the truth last nigh or had in the past gave misleading statements about the process and the obligations and commitments

It's a pity nobody raised this issue as I am left with the view that the MD of our Club is fast turning into the John Curry / Robin Cousins of the football world. He scores perfect sixes for artistic impression but sadly scores absoloute zeros for content
diggerdagger1

Well said Sussex plus well done merge great posting and great questioning last night. I left the meeting still concerned about the club. Loads of questions not clearly answered and convinced Thompson should be a politician. Personally feel he needs to go just for his part in this takeover alone. The same applies to Bennett. Also Chris smythe should seriously consider his position on the board as well imo. Thompson blatantly lied on a number of questions. For example the £122500 payment.he said all the investors has paid 10 per cent which apparently is not true as tamplin paid it all. very worried that our current board are now looking for a new investor. Got the impression that Thompson feels he has done no wrong or even the board come to that. God knows who they will recommend this time and still have a nagging doubt that we have not seen or heard the last of tamplin and waiting for the smokescreen letting him in through the back door. My fellow members were very quiet last night just wish we could get enough support as members to propose a voter of no confidence in the board. Hope the east consortium can and will help our club because in them I trust. Between them and some of the tamplin consortium members this could be sorted out both financially and to secure the long term future of the club. This should not be about Thompson keeping his job at all costs.
The Romford Dagger

Auntie Merge wrote:Initials ST (Steve Thompson) JS (John Still)
Over 100 supporters in attendance.
I typed this all the way through the meeting; I think I caught everything.

Q
Asked about due diligence /did you know about the court case
A (ST) We were aware of a court case and were led to believe that it wasn't as serious as it company
Due diligence necessary taken was what was expected and doesn't want to go into any detail

Q More about due diligence. If you look at Companies House you will see Tamplin has not held a directorship longer than 5 years.
How can you say you did due diligence.
A (ST) We did due diligence there is no way that there was any assets within the club that could be taken. One of the suggestions was to open up the consortium and that is why extra people

Q Why didn't we say no to Tamplin over the number of companies he has gone bust
A (ST) We discussed it at the board meeting and decided it was more to do with the industries he was trading in.
Now the finance has gone we will not have to sell any players. There have been measures put in place and finance to enable the club at the current level and that will give us the breathing space to put a different arrangement in place. We need new investment; without it we cannot afford to keep the club at its current level on the current crowds.

Q Monies that were transferred as part of the consortium takeover. What will happen to it?
A (ST) The monies will be refunded. We have withdrawn our support.

Q Why did the club disrespected the fans over this takeover. On the night of the members meeting, the people in the protest outside were accused of all sorts of things - touching cars, being abusive. Also John Still was meant to say that demonstrating wasn't allowed.
A Tony (Safety Officer) The fans behaviour that evening was exemplary. It was one person who came into the club that said things about the protest and this was misinterpreted.
A (JS) I never said that
A (ST) The only time I've criticised any of the demonstrations was at the Solihull game/

Q Is anyone interested in investing in the club
A (ST) there are other people who have made themselves known in the past few months once they knew the members were open to investment.

Q Is it all investments or a loan?
A (ST) We are looking at investments as loan money cannot be used towards whatever level of wage or salary cap for the league we're in.
The only two loans the club currently have are
The loan to the council for the new stand about 160,000
The Brewery 40,000

Q Statement this morning re the decision with the consortium.
A (ST) When I realised when the vote wasn't going to get the 75% of the members to go through I accepted that it shouldn't go as far as a vote and should stop now.

Q From the 125,000 will the existing directors of the clulb who backed the proposal ask for their money back or will be remain in the club
A (ST) I can't speak for them

Q Are the board going to go cap in hand to the other consortium
A (ST) I don't think we need to go cap in hand to anybody. But there will be discussions going on; we are prepared to talk to anyone

Q You keep coming back to the members not voting, Donald trump swung his election from being far behind, why didn't you let it go to the vote?
A (ST) We have 68 full members; some are not engaged in the process and I can probably tell you which ones voted which way. It was always going to be tight. When one or two members indicated they would no longer support Tamplin, there was no point and if the games up, the games up.
We've had a lot of legal fees and it was pointless to carry on another five and a half weeks.

Q You know when you and Dave Bennett were looking at the offer from the Easts, wasn't it a conflict of interest, where you could go back to Glenn Tamplin and tell him about the Easts offer.
A (ST) We took the advice of a solicitor and there was no conflict of interest

Q What is John stills take on this?
A (JS) I'm a manager, hope to join the board and I'm a supporter. When I look at this club, I look at is as a supporter. I look at how it was a few years ago to how it is now. The club had changed and it needs some sort of investment. I went and met Tamplin along with a couple of board members and I looked at it as John still the supporter. I went to have a chat with John Goodwin. The investment that I thought was needed was coming from Tamplin. He did everything I wanted and I asked. He came over to our training ground and looked at the training ground. I can't remember recently a director coming over. Our gym facilities have gone from okay to poor. We've lost a dietician and replaced them with a player. Do I want to go on the board or not, then yes, I want to be involved in how this club is run. The consortium still wants to do it but the vote is not going ahead. Would they have got the required vote I don't know. My own personal opinion is the welfare of this football club. Would that consortium been the right one in years to come - I don't know. Do I think that this club needs investments to stand still yes. To grow? Yes. Football has changed.

Q There has been a rumour that Glenn Tamplin was tapping up the players. Is this true?
A (JS) No, categorically not. But he did speak to me about the players on existing contracts that we want to keep and then spoke to the players about extending their contracts.

Q Is Glenn Tamplin's son's team still playing at the ground on Sundays
A (ST) Yes

Q What is the financial situation?
A (ST) we have never said that we were in serious financial trouble but we accepted we needed investment.
There is no mechanism in law where a company limited by guarantee can be converted to a company with shares.
There has never been a time that no one has been paid. Our bills, players, manager, bar staff and suppliers are all paid and will continue to be paid. But going forward we are going to need this investment.

Q In recent interview with Mike Wainwright you said that financial situation was a 'disaster' and 'dangerous'
A (ST) if the investment doesn't come forward the situation will be dangerous.

A (JS) the other members of the consortium want to go ahead if the members vote yes if they vote no ok. It came as a shock that it wasn't going to the full members.

Q should all the remaining consortium members get together and form one big consortium
A (ST) that is possible. This happened yesterday. Half of our current board are away on holiday

Q Surprised at mr tamplin lifelong supporter why isn't he putting in his money anyway without owning the club
A (not really an answer to that!)

Q The current board has seen us through two relegations, the Wayne Burnett fiasco, and now this. Most of the board members are on holiday this week; they won't be at Halifax next week. Shouldn't You (ST) and the board resign over this and we get a new board who support the club and go to games.
A (ST) Any one who said we didn't fight to stay in league one doesn't understand the club.
Q But you sold a player - Paul Benson

Q Asked board to resign
A (JS) my opinion believe that the people here run the club but it needs drive, To improve the football club. No problem with any of the directors
But we have to have a person with drive who won't take no for an answer. We haven't got the right drive.
JS I've got the drive but need others. Times have moved on we haven't moved with it.

Q the drive comes from the board but the board is so far removed from the supporters. We need to all pull together bit something needs to be in the middle. We've been blatantly run into the ground. So that Tamplin said if you don't take our investment it's that or administration. The drive comes from the board. If you love the club then stand down and and let people with the drive come forward.

A (ST) This is one of the plans with the investment that some of the current board would resign

Q re money that we've lost - the Tamplin deal was only a short term one on the money he was putting in
350 k season one
650 k season two
Compared to Tamplin's 1.250,000 all the money will be soon be gone
There are clubs in our league on budgets of 350k 450k, why aren't we cutting the budget and living within our means
A (JS) can we compete with these clubs with bigger budgets no, but can we beat them yes
I bought Wayne in but I can't tell him how to do his job. When I came back we had no young hungry players. Once we get ourselves up and running properly new young players will be coming through the club.

Q I came to listen but the facts are that since June that this board has raised this clubs debt by 300,000
Tamplin is now getting his money back, meaning we are 400,000 in debt. We have got to have change within this club.
I can't understand why Dave Bennett issued a statement about the club and said it's a difficult situation to change the constitution of the club .
If we couldn't change the constitution of the club with the membership, why is it going ahead?
I believe we've had nothing but half truths and seen gross misconduct from the board. If we stay with this board I do not see a future for this football club

A (ST) The legal situation was that there would have to be another vote of 75% of the members.
No directors have changed their vote but they have been withdrawn the support of the consortium

Q Surprised with you having your fingers on the money that you aren't aware about the difficulty in changing the constitution
(not really an answer given)

Q This club is one of the most expensive in the league why didn't we reduce the price
A (ST) fair comment but we offer a very good season ticket. We do offers to try and bring people in. It may be that we have to reduce the prices in the long run

Q When I was in the TBS stand, the Dover supporters were complaining about paying £21 for a ticket. Clubs like Brentford offer £26 a ticket for championship football.
A (ST) Our gate receipts are relied on a lot more for income than a championship or premiership club

Q You've talked a lot about members, I'm still trying to find out the advantage of being a full member - where is the advantage?
A (ST) full members is for where people who want to get involved join as a full member. Two board members come up for election every year, one committee member and an officer. The main advantage is being able to elect or stand. And the members are the custodians of the club. Full membership was always open to any one who has a Season Ticket. The membership was closed at the start of the takeover discussion and it will come up at the next board meeting as to when it will be reopened.

Q So few directors go to midweek away games, sometimes there is only one director. It is unprofessional that not one director went to morecambe away midweek. yet for the Everton game you probably could have had a full board meeting. When we do Kids for a quid, why don't we extend it to the Saturday on the day, and try to get more people in.
A (ST) board members going away that's a difficult one and you can't always legislate for board members at away games.
(Q)Can't you get a rota going.

Q When you send the season ticket application why don't you send out an application form or mention full membership
A (ST) I can't say that you're not right for the last 10 years at an early game we've done it as a special for full members, and asked them to bring along a guest, particularly think about someone who might want to be a full member.
We could have done more but equally supporters that wanted to be a full member knew we were a full members club.

Q You've got a great big clubhouse and I think the off the field activities are appalling. Assuming the board stays at it is are you going to increase our off the field activities.
A (ST) Most Friday and Saturday nights the rooms are booked. Large room closed at 3pm For weddings. Small hall usually closed at 6.00 pm.
Halls are 90% used with bookings
If there is other things that you can think of let us know

Q Look at the objectively whatever you think of the board, yes they've made mistakes but respect the board. Always beware sugar daddies. How are you going to grow support? There is a unique opportunity - next season there will be 10-15k West Ham supporters not returning to the Olympic stadium. We should entice them here. What do you think the estimated fan base is?
A (JS) When we were in League two our support went up a bit. And considerably more for away support. Its around somewhere 2000 people when we're playing well, exciting football, and on a league above. The reality is that's probably about we got. Next year if we are vibrant we have a chance of some of them coming here
A (ST) when we first got promoted to the football league we had a number of sub 1000 gates. We have increased from the previous conference attendances

Q Why don't you run an offer that If you've got a season ticket for west ham you can get in for half price.
A (ST) something we're thinking about towards the end of this season

Q Do we have enough funds at this level
A (ST) We have enough funds at this level at the present time
Going forward the guarantees we've got will be that it we are funded for this season.
If we were to get promoted then the dynamics of the finance change. If we don't get promotion there will be hopefully new owners.

Q The PR has been really crap about Tamplin the board needs to be more open about what's going on
A (ST) some of you here are full members then that information has gone to full members. So what information we give to full members and what we post on the website is different.

Q What I found as disturbing as a full member why wasn't the chairman of the supporters club involved and notified about events, even though he is not a full member. As a supporters club we don't know anything. A full member passed the letter to the Chair of the supporters club and Dave Bennett said 'what are you doing with that letter?' At the end of every members meeting why isn't a summary made available to the supporters

Q We were told that Tamplin was abused, and abused on twitter, yet I cannot find any abuse. Then there was the incident of Tamplin's son being abused in the TBS. I was there and there was no abuse. I don't know where these stories of abuse of Tamplin came about because they are not proven.
A (ST) I can't comment on anything that Tamplin said. Not going to comment at all. Solihull the abuse was such that their chief safety officer held i
us back and escorted out of the ground to a taxi

Q When we were protesting outside the members meeting Dave Bennett came out and said there would definitely be a fans forum before the members go forward with the Tamplin bid. But then someone received an email from Steve Thompson saying there would definitely be no fans forum.
A (ST) M understanding was that there would not be a fans forum before the vote. There was meant to be a meeting to meet Glenn Tamplin, but Tamplin decided not to meet the fans

Q Is this the end of any possible of any financial involvement of Glenn Tamplin and the end of any possible involvement from him.
A (ST) It would depend on different parts of the consortium. I can't say definitely to you no, but I find it very unlikely

Q You said we will be securing a loan in the interim to cover the gap in investment, how long can we go for
A (ST) there hasn't been a full board meeting. This has all happened in the last 48 Hours. I don't know the answer to that.

Q If you read the Waltham Forest Guardian (about the waste dumping) is that the reason why the board has withdrawn
A (ST) I don't know , I only know that members said they no longer supported Tamplin

Q asked of JS: I just can't believe that whole affair of Tamplin, and the secret society of the full members, we are still going to go away from here without knowing the answers. Now you haven't got the investment how long are you going to stay patient?, As a supporter what confidence have you got in the man sitting next to you?.
A JS I came to the club for one reason for one season. Where it's difficult being a manager and a supporter, over the years I wasn't here I could see the last group of John Still players leaving here, but I couldn't see the thing that the club had got the club to here - young keen players. I'll come to end of this season and try to get the club back running the way I'd like to see it as a supporter. I'm going to say this, if the Tamplin thing had gone on I would have been here next year. Not having to sell players. I don't know at the moment.
I have probably disagreed with lots of things that Steve and chairmen and ex chairman have done. Gone home sometimes unhappy. If I look at the whole picture, yes people have to be held to task but one thing I have never doubted is he is 100% in what he believes is right for the club

JS then sat with the crowd and asked a question as a supporter since 1969.
Q With what's gone on, with what has gone on an unsettling time, what is our vision for the club and how important is it that you that talk to people who are going to be impacted by your decisions
A (ST) One of the rules the football league has got you need to be an incorporated club. We sat down me and Derek almond (RIP) and we came up with the idea of the club limited by guarantee and we asked the members as it kept the ethos of a members club. If it doesn't work we'll have to eventually look to selling the club. My vision is to find the right people that can come into the club with the big enough pockets to improve the infrastructure at the same time maintain the team and go forward. My main job is to try and find that person or people. It isn't only about getting promoted to the football league, but supporting the manager whoever the manager is at the time, at the end of the day we are a Football Club. We need the supporters around us to support the club.

Just seen this.

Cheers Merge. Very much appreciated
durnzo

I'll hold my hands up and say I was duped by the idea of fresh investment and direction for the club and didn't pay enough attention to where it was coming from, unlike some others who I must commend for not starting a "I told you so" thread.

Well done merge for putting that up, I've said a few things to you that have been proven wrong and I apologise.

Having said that, I haven't got a clue what's going here. It's definitely worrying, especially as the people running the club have been proven to be liberal with the truth at best and love a u turn!!! This is the 3rd club tamplin has pulled out of (possibly different circumstances as this appears to be the choice of others rather than him), why does he do it?

With regards to an earlier post about "investing" a grand, I would the first time being single with no kids, no savings and a small mortgage but without a fundamental change to the way the club is run they'd need another bag in a couple of years!!! Worrying times indeed.
Voice of reason

durnzo wrote:I'll hold my hands up and say I was duped by the idea of fresh investment and direction for the club and didn't pay enough attention to where it was coming from, unlike some others who I must commend for not starting a "I told you so" thread.

Well done merge for putting that up, I've said a few things to you that have been proven wrong and I apologise.

Having said that, I haven't got a clue what's going here. It's definitely worrying, especially as the people running the club have been proven to be liberal with the truth at best and love a u turn!!! This is the 3rd club tamplin has pulled out of (possibly different circumstances as this appears to be the choice of others rather than him), why does he do it?

With regards to an earlier post about "investing" a grand, I would the first time being single with no kids, no savings and a small mortgage but without a fundamental change to the way the club is run they'd need another bag in a couple of years!!! Worrying times indeed.
Well said
diggerdagger1

Well said durnzo and voice of reason. Very easy for us anti tamplin people to gloat but there is no point in that is there. Well done to merge daggers4eva and all those who protested. If Gerry hanging had not broke the news about who this investor was I dread to think where we would be now. Also massive praise to the east consortium as well. The board seriously needs to look at themselves regarding the whole affair. Personally feel at least 3 of them should go. Smythe for introducing this unsavoury character to us. Bennett for chasing him to come back in after he withdrew the first time. Thompson for steadfastly backing tamplin purely and simply to keep his job. Do I trust this board not to do it again? No I do not!!!!!!. Gentlemen your positions are untenable. As Cameron said to Corbin for Christ sake men go now! I hope my fellow members take the necessary action but fear they won't. Perhaps the supporters need to make there feelings known loud and cleat. THOMPSON OUT BENNETT OUT SMYTHE OUT. And if Messrs Calcutt O'connor GWinn and ward don' t like it you can bugger off as well. In Simmo I trust only one agenda with him and that is what's best for the club. Apparently the board have now changed the walkout song . We are now coming out to the theme to the original Italian job film. You know the one it goes this is the self preservation society!!!! Seriously though I would urge all supporters to make there feelings known. This board could not direct piss into a bucket!!! Would urge my fellow members to act but it's all yes Steve no Steve and show us the money!!!!!! Rant over from a very concerned dagger.
Chigwellian

You all know where I stand with regards to Thompson..... OUT!
RampantDuke

I think that all Dagenham fans should take some responsibility for this debacle. When Tamplin put up an advertising hoarding earlier in the season in our ground for his company boasting that they are 'The Fabrication Specialists' we should have all guessed that he was full of shit. For goodness sake people - he even put up a sign telling us! I wonder if that will still be there today? I quite like the image in my mind of him skulking out of the ground on Monday with his poxy advertising boards under his arm! Alternatively Thompson might want to put his name on it as he seems to be making it all up as he goes along. :D
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
Daggernewbie

RampantDuke wrote:I think that all Dagenham fans should take some responsibility for this debacle. When Tamplin put up an advertising hoarding earlier in the season in our ground for his company boasting that they are 'The Fabrication Specialists' we should have all guessed that he was full of shit. For goodness sake people - he even put up a sign telling us! I wonder if that will still be there today? I quite like the image in my mind of him skulking out of the ground on Monday with his poxy advertising boards under his arm! Alternatively Thompson might want to put his name on it as he seems to be making it all up as he goes along. :D
How can Dagenham fans take responsibility when we have no say in the matter it was all down to the board who advertise etc. if we did have the power do you think it would have got as far as it did.
diggerdagger1

the board should take full responsibility. They were the ones who constantly recommended tamplin and chased him when he pulled out. Was told by a reliable source yesterday that the reason given id we could not get the vote through is utter garbage. Also that tamplin paid the full £122500 initial 10 per cent investment despite Thompson telling us at the fans forum that all 10 investors had paid there 10 per cent. Lie after lie from the board and in particular Thompson. What worries me that Thompson and Bennett are walking round with there smug grins and without a care in the world. Mark my words they are up to something. All I would say to everybody who loves the daggers please please do not let it happen. THOMPSON OUT BENNETT OUT SMYTHE OUT ps really worried about my fellow members as I overheard two of them saying as they were leaving the ground yesterday come back tamplin all is forgiven absolutely unbelievable. Also please do not feel any sympathy for Thompson being all alone as one person put it at the fans forum. Simmo offered to sit with him but the offer was declined apparently. Two other board members could not be bothered to turn up. Yes the other 4 were on holiday but Thomson knew this when the day of the forum was set. Would the3ofyou do the right thing that any decent human being would do andRESIGN. If you love the daggers as much as you say you do GO and let other people with drive and ambition stillys words I might add have a go. Simmo for chairman and power to the fans!