Murphy Gone

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
matt_drfc

He was onside for the chance just before they scored. Lino did get a couple wrong unfortunately. But I wouldn't want Rhys to play any different
Chigwellian

I thought the Lino go all the offside calls correct bar one, which deflected off an opponent to Murphy.

My opinion of Murphy still hasn't changed.... I think we have been playing with 10 men for weeks now, and we wonder why we can't seem to win points.

When Norris came on, he had more hunger than Murphy, he ran for lost balls, and got in the mix, instead of staying up and constantly being flagged for offside.
Daggers No 2 Fan

There were at least two where Murphy was clearly in onside positions when the ball was played.
It also doesn't matter if the ball deflects off one of their players.

The assistant in front of the stand was hopeless. At one Zavon was pushed in the back right in front of him, so he gave Scunthorpe a throw, even though the ball hasn't gone out when he flagged.
leewilson

Chigwellian wrote:I thought the Lino go all the offside calls correct bar one, which deflected off an opponent to Murphy.

My opinion of Murphy still hasn't changed.... I think we have been playing with 10 men for weeks now, and we wonder why we can't seem to win points.

When Norris came on, he had more hunger than Murphy, he ran for lost balls, and got in the mix, instead of staying up and constantly being flagged for offside.
Don't agree with that, I think Murphy's been feeding off scraps for weeks. Don't think it's a coincidence that he's dropped off a tad whilst Zav has. His bread and butter is scoring goals though so he needs good service. He's at his best making runs in behind for the through ball and when he's on the ball in and around the 18 yard box. He had a bad game today. Didn't time the runs well and had a few situations around the box where he chose the wrong option. However, earlier in the season, we were passing the ball through the midfield and into his feet far more often than we have been lately. The amount of times we're sitting deep and just lumping the ball up to him. The guy isn't very good in the air. We need to be a bit braver in certain situations at the back. Of course, when a ball needs clearing then fine. But there are times when a solid pass would get us moving forward but it appears some of our players don't trust themselves with it and go for the easier 40 yard chip up the pitch to let Murphy challenge the CB who's normally a couple of inches taller than him.

Of course when Norris came on it was going to give us more up front because we effectively went 4-4-2. At a cost though as we were far more open with only 2 in the midfield (not that Howell's the saviour as in all honesty, it'd be him I drop when Bingham's back). Plus we barely created a chance until Ogogo struck from 25 yards.

My big concern at present is in the full back areas. I think we have 3 good CBs (although Doe and Wilko/Saah is the way to go), a very good shot stopper in Lewington, solid options in CM (although in time, I'd look at trying to get an upgrade on Howell who's a very limited player) and at present we're alright up front (although 1 more would be a nice luxury). For me, Connors will get better but does need to beef up whilst working massively on his positional sense in games. Femi I just have to accept is not a footballer who will ever be comfortable passing it. Hoyte is starting to worry me though. Great recovery pace but a very average defender all in all and his distribution forward can be very meh at times. He is a good crosser of the ball mind but if I had to judge the overall package, I think we could do better in that position. Obviously we have Ogogo but I just can't see him reverting back to RB now.
matt_drfc

Seeing as Zav has been off it a bit recently. Would anyone argue if we left him on the bench and brought him on as a sub after say 60 mins? Not on Tuesday, but maybe after that.
SUSSEX DAGGER

matt_drfc wrote:Seeing as Zav has been off it a bit recently. Would anyone argue if we left him on the bench and brought him on as a sub after say 60 mins? Not on Tuesday, but maybe after that.
Zav has not had a good month but surely Elitto should be dumped before him.

Really has been a fav of mine but even I question his heart today, seen more guts in filleted Cod and has completely lost his bottle.
matt_drfc

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
matt_drfc wrote:Seeing as Zav has been off it a bit recently. Would anyone argue if we left him on the bench and brought him on as a sub after say 60 mins? Not on Tuesday, but maybe after that.
Zav has not had a good month but surely Elitto should be dumped before him.

Really has been a fav of mine but even I question his heart today, seen more guts in filleted Cod and has completely lost his bottle.
My thoughts were more that Zav would be more effective off the bench than Medy would be.
Mikins

Appears posh have moved on pretty quickly, they've offered Newport cash + Shaun Jeffers in return for Connor Washington.
Sorry about your damn luck!
DI Mike Dashwood

Murphy was off-side on all of the calls I remember. Most of our supporters shouting at the assistant clearly had no understanding of the rules of the game, was quite embarrassing at times.

I am torn on him. Not sure the system suits him on days like yesterday, as Lee said, was feeding on scraps for a lot of it, but I also find he can be a little lack lustre at times, and the number of times he is caught off-side shows this.

Norris looked good, gave us a bit of a physical presence. And whatever people say about Dickson he took his goal wonderfully well.
ARNU

I spent a lot of time shouting out to Murphy to get onside,it was quite a lot as usual .The only debatable one was where it ricocheted off their player to him,I thought that was onside if that happened. 1st half especially I was standing inline with their back 4 and Murphy a lot so felt the lino/ref got it right all along. I do get it,he's that type of player and when he beats their trap he usually scores or causes grief.He was not getting anywhere yesterday though and subbing him was correct at the time and in hindsight spot on.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Daggers No 2 Fan

It seems unlikely that anyone was in line with all of them, as they were in different positions. There were at least two where at the point the ball was played there were defenders between Murphy and the goal.
It doesn't matter if the ball ricochets or deflects. If our player played it and he was offside at te time the he's offside.
The Lino managed to give a throw in with the ball not going out, so I doubt he could make an accurate call on things further away from him.
ARNU

Lets just say I had a good view then. Im sure refereeing in those conditions aint easy especially as you've got a crowd of people who obviously know better,Very few of which are actual referees.He was offside more than he was onside again and was playing poorly Hence he got subbed and fortunately his replacements livened the game up and scored the vital goals.Blame the ref all you want but we had a result yesterday.I cant see where the ref was blatantly wrong anywhere but Im not a ref so what do I know ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Chigwellian

I agree with you Arnu, and I'm sure the ricochet counts as onside, as that is what happened when Jon nurse scored against Bath
matt_drfc

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:It seems unlikely that anyone was in line with all of them, as they were in different positions. There were at least two where at the point the ball was played there were defenders between Murphy and the goal.
It doesn't matter if the ball ricochets or deflects. If our player played it and he was offside at te time the he's offside.
The Lino managed to give a throw in with the ball not going out, so I doubt he could make an accurate call on things further away from him.
It's not the point of there being a ricochet. It's just the best way to describe that particular offside call.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Chigwellian wrote:I agree with you Arnu, and I'm sure the ricochet counts as onside, as that is what happened when Jon nurse scored against Bath
The offside decision for that goal was wrong. There is nothing in the offside rule that says anything about the ball deflecting, ricocheting or anything elseing off a defending player. The offside is at the point that an attacking player plays the ball.
Otherwise there would be no offside when a goalkeeper saves a shot and it falls to a striker who was offside when the shot was taken.