Cheltenham

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
RayleighDagger1986

Top of the National League after being relegated last season.
Is it possible for us to do something similar. What must the club do this summer to be ambitious enough to return to the football league at the first attempt?
I would like to see Doe and Howell return. Both offer experience and are decent at this level, let akne National level. Doe was a massive loss and a leader should be a priority.
BarkingRambo

I think our current squad has potentially a lot of the capabilities to get promoted straight away, they just need to play with confidence again. I thought there were some moments of promise today that did make me wonder if we could get promoted straight away.

We only have 2 centre backs that are our own on the books so sorting that out and at lease one of them being someone who can command the defence is probably most important
mickeyblue

No
but we finished 9th!
Diggerthedog

I don't see us ever coming back up, got too many of these sugar daddy clubs about. Forest green and Eastleigh are two we have to contend with next season.

We need a decent spine to the side and it would not surprise me if the spine is Doe, Gutteridge and Benson next season.

Who is still contracted to be with us next season?
Lcbdagger

It is possible in the future for us to come back up... almost impossibility next season if those with money strengthen further than where they are now. Look how we dealt with Whitehawk who are hardly one of the top non league squads in the country. Those who will get promoted will be far too consistent across the season than us with a much stronger squad and starting eleven.

The year we went up we had excellent players across all positions that fought for their absolute lives but most importantly understood the winning mentality. None of this current squad, even if they did stay next season, would have anything like the winning spirit to go on a eight or ten game winning run.

To get a young, hungry squad we would need all but about four or five of the current squad to leave and even Still won't pull a Championship winning squad together in one summer.
RayleighDagger1986

But Cheltenham have managed it, why can't we?
bearaab

I'd we release 90% of this squad and make good signing we can. But we won't.
NickMurphy

Of course it's possible. With the right manager who knows the league (See Gary Johnson, Martin Allen and John Still), you have an excellent chance providing the recruitment is right, which I have no doubt it will be. It gets harder every year of course with the sugar daddy clubs - FGR, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet (Fylde if they come up) and a few others with a bit behind them, alongside the former league teams who are always there or there about's, eg Grimsby - but if we can prepare right and the team click there's no reason why we wouldn't be there or there about's.
ARNU

Im not holding my breathe.That isn't to say that it cant be done,but realisticly we have to rebuild again and get some players with fire and enthusiasm.Id just hope we just compete at least and they give us home wins a bit more often.I haven't seen one this season(buggered off home with the ump just after the penalty miss v York) and Im sure we've had 19 league home games now.How a team that cant win at home is going to storm that league next year is beyond me.I know Johnny hoof is well renowned for getting out of the conference but from what ive seen of this lot we'll go down again.Complete clearout needed Im afraid,and I have to somehow find the will to live watching hoofball done badly till Still's contracts up.Still didn't play hoofy with fackin luton did he,why not get the ball down and play football at least ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
SUSSEX DAGGER

is it really that hard ?

On Bognors run to the semi finals of the trophy this season they have come up against three teams at that level absoloutely dominated two of them and made Grimsby work very hard over the two legs in the semi.

Now having watched Bognor throughout the season if they can hold their own against teams from that level we really should be grabbing the bull by the horns as there really should be no excuses next season with parachute payments and what we have got for Jones that we do not at least make the play offs.
leewilson

I think what a lot of people fail to take into account is that next season the quality of our team is going to drop.

People, myself included, made the same mistake when we got relegated from League 1. In my mind at the time, we'd only narrowly been relegated and put in some very good performances that season. Even though we lost Robbo, Green and Vincelot, I still thought we had the foundations of an excellent side. However, overall quality within the squad dipped as did our form and we nearly went down again.

Next season, we're going to be without most of the current squad, and whilst they might not be flavour of the month, we do have some football league quality amongst them. There's no guarantee that we are going to get an upgrade on what we have currently next season. Players like Passley, Hoyte, Clevid, Hemmings, Labadie etc could play in this league in a better side (or even have represented us during some of our better squads). Will we improve upon them next season? Possibly, but I imagine Still will have to find the rough diamonds again.

On another note, why do i keep seeing Does name? We sold him. Unless he's out of contract with Boreham Wood, I'm not sure why anybody expects us to buy him back. We don't pay fees for players (or at least not substantial ones).
BarkingRambo

Most fans know the only reason Doe left was because of Burnett and how he treated the players. To be honest it's why 90 percent of the people who's contracts ran out last year left the club. Now it's new management (and someone as far as we are aware he had a good relationship with) I think we are all a little hopeful he might come back. If Boreham are relegated then maybe a deal can be done but I reckon he wouldn't agree to come. Never go back, only in rare cases is it as special the first time
Adrian

leewilson wrote:I think what a lot of people fail to take into account is that next season the quality of our team is going to drop.

People, myself included, made the same mistake when we got relegated from League 1. In my mind at the time, we'd only narrowly been relegated and put in some very good performances that season. Even though we lost Robbo, Green and Vincelot, I still thought we had the foundations of an excellent side. However, overall quality within the squad dipped as did our form and we nearly went down again.

Next season, we're going to be without most of the current squad, and whilst they might not be flavour of the month, we do have some football league quality amongst them. There's no guarantee that we are going to get an upgrade on what we have currently next season. Players like Passley, Hoyte, Clevid, Hemmings, Labadie etc could play in this league in a better side (or even have represented us during some of our better squads). Will we improve upon them next season? Possibly, but I imagine Still will have to find the rough diamonds again.

On another note, why do i keep seeing Does name? We sold him. Unless he's out of contract with Boreham Wood, I'm not sure why anybody expects us to buy him back. We don't pay fees for players (or at least not substantial ones).
I expect the quality of the team to improve next season. The individuals may not necessarily be "better", but what I hope is that we'll have is a group of players that are organised, complement each other and are a team, not the chucked together 11 players we've had for at least the last season.
To be honest, the removal of a couple of them could improve a squad without replacing them.

I'd suggest that if any of those could really player in a better team in this league then they wouldn't be with us in the first place. The idea of Passley or Hemmings in some of our better squads, I find strange.
SUSSEX DAGGER

BarkingRambo wrote:Most fans know the only reason Doe left was because of Burnett and how he treated the players. To be honest it's why 90 percent of the people who's contracts ran out last year left the club. Now it's new management (and someone as far as we are aware he had a good relationship with) I think we are all a little hopeful he might come back. If Boreham are relegated then maybe a deal can be done but I reckon he wouldn't agree to come. Never go back, only in rare cases is it as special the first time
Really, think you will find that the reason we lost Scott Doe is a bit closer to home .

Let's put this scenario Club A have a limited budget and have a player running out of contract, they would love to keep him but Club B come along and offer him a deal that is nearly twice as much as Club A have offered. The Manager of Club A knows he is pissng in the wind in trying to keep the player so he uses the money that he has set aside for the player who has been courted by team b.

After securing the services of another' player to fill the void Manager A is then powerless when Club B pull the deal that they were offering the Player and instead invest their money in another player who came to the market.

That leaves the way open for Club C to step in as despite the notion that the player was a usefull asset the only Clubs that appeared interested were Club A B and a C . CLUB A had spunked their money on a player who turned our at to be useless Club B thought they had a better alternative leaving only Club C as the only team in Town..

You can only spend the same quid once that is basic economics and the way things have turned out in this case has more then a touch of irony about it.
Dagdale

Re:Scott Doe, I think I must have watched this guy well over two thirds of his over 200 appearances for us from 09, saw very much him groom into a guy who loved the daggers and held that back line superbly, crazily when you knew he was back out there you always believed our defence was just that bit stronger, and lost count of watching him move his head all the time 'checking it all out'. Ok a crazy moment at Wycombe which dented that day for us and he gave away the odd penalty, and no doubt something went on with him and the big boss man but HE did make a difference to how well we stuck out a game and that has been terribly missed this season. When your that low down in the season you look for many answers but one answer what definitely should have never matured, getting rid of Scott Doe at 27 years of age.