Our support and Atmosphere

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
admin
Site Admin

I know this is topic I talk about a lot but something really stuck out for me during our last home match. At an average home game you get less than 100 people attempting to make an atmosphere at games (usually a lot of small groups doing different things as well) and we never really achieve a decent atmosphere. Yet during our last game, when we went 2-0 down about 70% of the home fans were chanting "Burnett out". To be honest I'm pleased he's gone and have said things myself but it's disappointing how a number of fans won't ever chant about positive things but jump straight in when it's a negative thing. So now that he's gone can we change that into a noisy ground that chant to cheer on the team.

Just a thought
ARNU

When you've had a couple of seasons of relatively unexciting football you are hardly gonna get much atmosphere as you call it.I thought last Saturday v Bristol rovers up until we conceded and at the Plymouth game,we were quite noisy and supportive.Anyway your concern comes from a good place but I don't think you can force it.The team have to win and put in a shift consistently only then will it happen organically.Not until then im afraid.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
NBDag

In my opinion stuff like this depends on the drummer and what sort of mood they're in. The drum is what leads the crowd. However the drum is being used by a bunch of kids who just muck about by singing songs about paedophiles and other stuff they think is funny. Get the drum in better hands and that should get the crowd going.
admin
Site Admin

To be fair, I respect anyone who's trying to make some form of atmosphere. However I think we can all acknowledge, the group of kids who take the drum are hardly the best ones to do it. A group of kids singing like that is hardly going to get us all going. However I do acknowledge their efforts.

I looked at what the noise Whitehawk made when they came down I thought if a team that are two leagues below us who have a much smaller support than us and make that sort of noise then surely we can. I do realise that it was their big day out but by how I understand it, there's a group of supporters that go to Whitehawk that are always like that.
durnzo

A couple of thoughts. The atmosphere won't get better because not enough people want to sing. Also, I've stood by the youngsters with the drum all season and they want to make a noise but you get older bods (I'm 33 so not in either group) who take the piss out of the younger lot for singing. They must have insecurity issues. So with these two situations you will never get a good atmosphere. The team playing shit doesn't help either to be fair.
NBDag

durnzo wrote:A couple of thoughts. The atmosphere won't get better because not enough people want to sing. Also, I've stood by the youngsters with the drum all season and they want to make a noise but you get older bods (I'm 33 so not in either group) who take the piss out of the younger lot for singing. They must have insecurity issues. So with these two situations you will never get a good atmosphere. The team playing shit doesn't help either to be fair.
I stand by them and have never heard anyone take the piss out of them. But even if they did, I'm sure a group of teenage boys aren't going to be insecure over what a bunch of old fogeys think.

People with the drum today did a much better job in the first half.
ARNU

Given that we have absolutely nothing to sing about I think those lads do rather well with the drum.They sing thru-out and at least have a go.I'd consider myself an old fogey too.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
durnzo

I'm in full support of the youngsters with the drum. I sing with them when I know the song, some are a bit complex for my simple mind! Ive heard the same people take the piss for a couple of games now, doesn't stop me singing and certainly doesn't stop them, I just think it's a bit pathetic. As you've said there's not a lot to sing about at the minute and there's simply not enough people willing to sing.
admin
Site Admin

There's a few kids around 15/16 who take the drum. I have heard them had the piss taken out of them but I think it's harsh. A least they are trying
The Romford Dagger

admin wrote:There's a few kids around 15/16 who take the drum. I have heard them had the piss taken out of them but I think it's harsh. A least they are trying
Indeed. At least they try.

I remember my 'meet in the TBS for a sing song' experiment being met with mostly piss taking on here (not everyone admittedly.

Then people have the audacity to moan about a lack of noise.
daggersjeff

Think this will change with our first home win.

People think why sing for the team when they aren't even trying. I know it was a poor result boxing day, but there was a little more effort and commitment from the players until the first goal went in.

On another track, when are the loanees due to go back?