To be, or not to be....

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

So - 10 mins to kill on the c2c & fact its dead as a doh-doh on here got me thinking... how would you all choose if you had a deciding vote on the following!?

Consider this a bit like the upcoming EU referendum :D

Option 1) - Remain in Football League

Pros: more national exposure on tv & papers. League Cup & JPT even though we only ever win games in the latter. Errrr thats my lot.

Cons: Have literally no ambition but to finish 22nd each season. Non-existent or even toxic atmosphere at games (to steal someone elses recent description) - a team of pretty much journeymen with little or no heart for the club - a halfwit manager who seems hell bent on falling out with every supporter we have.

Option 2) - Leave & go back to the Conference.

Pros: Possibility of winning more football matches - getting some passion, excitement & atmosphere back on the terraces - sign up a load of young, hungry rough diamonds willing to give their all again - replace league cup & JPT for the Trophy.
Would almost certain have a new management team the fans could actually relate to. I'd get back Garry Hill - despite the circumstances of his last departure.

Cons: Less Exposure, Less away fans - Academy may well be finished.

Im sure there's much more that could be added to each option but interested to see how now, after what 9-10 years of Football League what peoples preferences are.
The Romford Dagger

dagger4eva wrote:So - 10 mins to kill on the c2c & fact its dead as a doh-doh on here got me thinking... how would you all choose if you had a deciding vote on the following!?

Consider this a bit like the upcoming EU referendum :D

Option 1) - Remain in Football League

Pros: more national exposure on tv & papers. League Cup & JPT even though we only ever win games in the latter. Errrr thats my lot.

Cons: Have literally no ambition but to finish 22nd each season. Non-existent or even toxic atmosphere at games (to steal someone elses recent description) - a team of pretty much journeymen with little or no heart for the club - a halfwit manager who seems hell bent on falling out with every supporter we have.

Option 2) - Leave & go back to the Conference.

Pros: Possibility of winning more football matches - getting some passion, excitement & atmosphere back on the terraces - sign up a load of young, hungry rough diamonds willing to give their all again - replace league cup & JPT for the Trophy.
Would almost certain have a new management team the fans could actually relate to. I'd get back Garry Hill - despite the circumstances of his last departure.

Cons: Less Exposure, Less away fans - Academy may well be finished.

Im sure there's much more that could be added to each option but interested to see how now, after what 9-10 years of Football League what peoples preferences are.

Football league status - Every. Single. Time.

If daggers go down, I can't see us coming back up any time soon. The conference is actually a decent standard. The teams that come up from the conference often finish top half in league 2 the next year.
OBD

I won't be celebrating our inevitable relegation in May but I see where you're coming from.

If we go down then we won't sack Wayne.
@OfficialBigDave
Mike the Dagger

I think people a lot of forget that out of the 24 seasons that Dagenham & Redbridge have been playing football (and the 90 odd years before that that the founding clubs were playing), this is only the 9th as a Football League club. There is life outside of the FL.

While I would prefer to stay where we are all in all, scrapping around in the bottom half of League Two is not a lot of fun and if we went back to what is probably our natural level, which is Conference National, that would not be the end or the world. I certainly agree that the opportunity of taking a breath and rebuilding that a spell back down might be a good thing. Be great to get the buzz of winning regularly back again.

This http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... id=8324607 is five years out of date now, and back then we were placed 96th on attendances with an average of just over 2,000. Based on the numbers overall not having moved much, we would be around 104 with current averages, so mid table Conference is probably where we "ought" to be.

Down the years I have heard a number of times that the "pub team from Essex" chant showed no ambition and we were bigger than that now. Personally I would like to be able to sing that one again because we were back over achieving agiant the bigger clubs rather than trying to be a professional outfit with no real ambition but to hang on.
mickeyblue

remove all of option 2 pro's

this is what we should have in this division, players released and hungry to prove whoever is released them wrong, ie abs,gayle.
not nosworthy, saah, richards etc

for me tho football league is a must, relegation does not bring back anything let alone a atmosphere

academy can still stay if we go down aswell, lots of part time clubs have them.
but we finished 9th!
dagger4eva

Don’t get me wrong, I certainly wouldn’t be “celebrating” relegation back to the conference if this was to happen. Something Mike said there strikes with me though.

Back in our non-league days and that pub team from Essex chant (something I never had a problem with) – much prefer that to endless chants about Paedophiles, we were underdogs, no different to what we are now – except for one major difference. We used being the pub team & the underdog to our advantage. With a near siege like, we don’t give a flying F*** mentality.
These days as I say, we are still that same underdog but our mentality is one of self pity, were lucky to be here, poor little Dagenham. That flows all the way through the club these days from the Head Honcho, Tommo, to the rest of the committee and down through to the Management and ultimately the players.

Perhaps if we went back down to what many within the club obviously still regard as our “natural level” then maybe we as a club can start to get back some self respect with our standing as a Football Club.

By the way, really not sure the academy could./would continue as I think all the funding for it would stop - and it is an awful lot of money we receive in funding presently!
ARNU

Our natural level is bottom half of league 2.Even the mighty John Still found that out.Talk of choosing to go down is madness.We may well go down by our own merits and that's how it should be.We aint going down anyway.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:Our natural level is bottom half of league 2.
Based on what?
Diggerthedog

Mike the Dagger wrote:
Based on what?
Based on him never seeing a game below this level.

I think we are more than capable of achieving option 2 put not with the current manager in charge.
ARNU

Mike the Dagger wrote:
Based on what?
Based on the last 4 seasons we only finished top half once under wayne as well.Why do you think we are naturally conference level ?? All those players from the olden days are no longer here and we've been in the league 9 years consecutively I don't think your analysis is really fair.John Still,The Messiah,only finished top half of league 2 twice as well in all his time here and he ****** off because the board sold his best player,funny that.The hatred of Wayne Burnett by some has clouded their judgement to the point where they'd rather we were in the conference being a pub team from Essex than be in the league.Surely its win win for them then ? They'd be ****** off when he keeps us up again wont they ?
ARNU

Diggerthedog wrote:
Mike the Dagger wrote:
Based on what?
Based on him never seeing a game below this level.

Well that's wrong !!

Im guessing you weren't even born when I first attended Victoria Road back in the early 70,s and living and growing up in Hornchurch do you really think I never been and seen them play ? I bet I seen more non league footy than you !! :lol:
davei

But Arnu, while your arguments make some sense, you miss one very important part of the current situation we are in.

Whether we stay up or go down, it remains to be seen who will be directing this club in either league both on and off the pitch. In my opinion, this board has not shown the decision making ability to keep the team competitive. If as you say the most successful manager this club has had, left because the board sold his best players, not only did they kiss the future of this club goodbye, they did it twice. THAT is a problem.

How do you correct that because it seem no matter what division we will be playing in next season, my doubts over the ability of this board to do the right thing will remain.............
ARNU

davei wrote:But Arnu, while your arguments make some sense, you miss one very important part of the current situation we are in.

Whether we stay up or go down, it remains to be seen who will be directing this club in either league both on and off the pitch. In my opinion, this board has not shown the decision making ability to keep the team competitive. If as you say the most successful manager this club has had, left because the board sold his best players, not only did they kiss the future of this club goodbye, they did it twice. THAT is a problem.

How do you correct that because it seem no matter what division we will be playing in next season, my doubts over the ability of this board to do the right thing will remain.............
See I like you Davei.You make lots of sense too.I aint for one minute saying things are great,I am all over this forum moaning about players, managers,the board not stumping up the money to keep old players let alone buy new ones, the state of the roof,Dave the plumber,The TBS stand,Waynes inability to keep his temper or give an aftermatch interview,the dug out change etc etc....I actually asked Wayne at the time about the Wycombe thing and what he thought about it all having calmed down,i even advised him to take a breathe or 2 before reacting in future.(Its on the daggers player somewhere).So I think its fair to say Ive been as big a moaner as anyone on here in the past,and if you look back thru it all Ive been saying the board is probably the right target for all this disappointment rather than Wayne,who it seems to me is now just being picked on largely by people that never liked him before we even kicked a ball under him.I want us to stay up and I want us to do well.But Burnett isn't the obstacle here,its the club not paying for the success we want.Burnett didn't let Scott Doe or Luke Howell go,the club did,and Im sure they get better wages at Borehamwood than they wanted here.
Diggerthedog

[/quote]

Well that's wrong !!

Im guessing you weren't even born when I first attended Victoria Road back in the early 70,s and living and growing up in Hornchurch do you really think I never been and seen them play ? I bet I seen more non league footy than you !! :lol:[/quote]

Chomp 2-0
ARNU

So you say something stupid/incorrect/insulting I then put you right and you go Chomp ! and then you get a point ?