We are supporting him...bless!

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/c ... _1_3012751

You have to sack him or you trivialise the matter and condone it,and all idiots who drink drive will believe its ok to do it.

Mr Thompson,Just one phone call to the mother of a 13 yr old boy killed by a drunken idiot in his car should help you if you dont realise the mistake you make "supporting"poor Brian.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Dagger83

I disagree. I hate drink driving but people make mistakes and to turn your back on them is wrong.

He needs support to make sure he doesn't do it in the future. I wonder if people who are chastising him have ever broken the speed limit or answered their phone when driving? People are quick to judge but are far from perfect themselves.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Daggers No 2 Fan

What Dagger83 said.

People make mistakes. They shouldn't just be cast aside because of it.
I doubt those calling for him to be sacked are perfect.
matt_drfc

ARNU wrote:http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/c ... _1_3012751

You have to sack him or you trivialise the matter and condone it,and all idiots who drink drive will believe its ok to do it.

Mr Thompson,Just one phone call to the mother of a 13 yr old boy killed by a drunken idiot in his car should help you if you dont realise the mistake you make "supporting"poor Brian.
I'd say it's more that Thompson had to say that, he can't really say that's it, he's a disgrace, we don't want him etc.. In his head he's probably thinking the same as you, but he's in a different position.

Personally, I do think he should be let go permanently as soon as possible though. Firstly, he came back last summer unfit, that's forgivable if he worked hard to get back to his best. But this just shows he's a liability to be honest.
DagenHammer87

Personally I think a club like ours should be looking to get him involved in the local drink drive awareness campaign. It's not glorifying it, it's a way of warding other stupid people off (believe it there are probably more than a handful in the crowd every other fortnight who have done it at least once or been caught).

The law has done it's bit - whatever your view is. To sack him could get messy, as it could go to tribunal if we sack him and there's bound to be a legal precedent that rules against us.

I fully accept the sentiment that he could've killed or seriously injured someone and I'm nowhere near making light of it, but surely we should try to turn this negative into a positive. He'll be gone by season's end anyway.

Through all of this the most important thing is the club. The club didn't make him drink, almost certainly didn't make him drive. Blaming Thommo isn't going to help either, he has to act as the face of a professional outfit. He's done that. Leave him to it.
ARNU

Im not blaming Thomo but he was quoted as the spokesman for Dagenham and Redbridge.But the clubs stance is support him and forgive him.Admirable in some ways but foolish in many others.What if hed killed someone ? You know they'd have sacked him don't you.The message to little boys everywhere at the moment is that drink driving is ok by Dagenham and Redbridge football club.
DagenHammer87

While I don't wish to argue with you, I do feel that you would benefit from re-reading the article and what Thommo has actually said. "Encourage and support him" in the sense of undertaking the awareness course.

An objective view show responsibility as an employer and shows that we aren't knee jerkers.

In the eyes of the law, his punishment has been given. Sacking him is something entirely down to us. Would we have demanded the same had Josh Scott been found guilty when it was alleged that he bashed his bird around?

I don't dispute that your own personal experience with this offence isn't life changing, but balance must be provided
ARNU

I accept what you say DagenHammer87.Forget my personal experience,I had the same opinions before it ever touched my life so personally.

Footballers are roll models.If we can teach youngsters you can have a Merc at the age of 25 (Not a small car to hit you with either) and you can drive it round pissed and its ok by your bosses then I must say Im a bit disappointed.Many footballers act like c***s and get away with it in situations where you or I would suffer the full consequences.

Josh Scott if he'd been found guilty should have gone.I was calling for it at the time as Im sure you'll remember,with the proviso that if hes innocent he should stay.You shouldn't get a get out of jail free card just because you are a footballer.Dagenham in this instance seem to have granted Brian Woodall one.
I bet he goes soon.There will be something in his contract to that effect (Bringing the clubs name into disrepute).He's already been dropped for ages and bunged out on loan.Use the money to wedge up Zav or Murphy or pay for Femi's bus pass.
Richie

Dagger83 wrote:I disagree. I hate drink driving but people make mistakes and to turn your back on them is wrong.

He needs support to make sure he doesn't do it in the future. I wonder if people who are chastising him have ever broken the speed limit or answered their phone when driving? People are quick to judge but are far from perfect themselves.
Agreed - Think being are going a little OTT.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Footballers are roll models.If we can teach youngsters you can have a Merc at the age of 25 (Not a small car to hit you with either) and you can drive it round pissed and its ok by your bosses then I must say Im a bit disappointed.Many footballers act like c***s and get away with it in situations where you or I would suffer the full consequences.
If my kids ended up taking a footballer as a role model, then I'd be disappointed in myself as a parent.
It is my responsibility to teach my kids what is right and wrong - not let them decide what it is from the example of a low-level footballer.
Dagger83

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
If my kids ended up taking a footballer as a role model, then I'd be disappointed in myself as a parent.
It is my responsibility to teach my kids what is right and wrong - not let them decide what it is from the example of a low-level footballer.
What about a roll model though? I think I could look like a floury bap if I tried...
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
ARNU

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
Yes but if your morals and guidance you give to your kids is sound then having it undermined publicly by a football club is not necessarily helpful to your well meant teachings.You tell little Johny drink driving is a very bad thing then D&R football club publicly support their player as if its no big deal cos nobody got killed in this instance. It is also fair to say that many kids aren't blessed with having a decent father/male positive influence round the house to guide them too.I think we 'd all except that having a strong positive male role model in a young boys life is always preferable where possible,and its fair to say that footballers,celebrity and pop stars all have a responsibility in their surrogate role model position.Its hard to believe but even brian Woodall signs autographs for hero worshipping little daggers fans.
Daggers No 2 Fan

ARNU wrote: Yes but if your morals and guidance you give to your kids is sound then having it undermined publicly by a football club is not necessarily helpful to your well meant teachings.You tell little Johny drink driving is a very bad thing then D&R football club publicly support their player as if its no big deal cos nobody got killed in this instance. It is also fair to say that many kids aren't blessed with having a decent father/male positive influence round the house to guide them too.I think we 'd all except that having a strong positive male role model in a young boys life is always preferable where possible,and its fair to say that footballers,celebrity and pop stars all have a responsibility in their surrogate role model position.Its hard to believe but even brian Woodall signs autographs for hero worshipping little daggers fans.
If you've done a good enough job of providing the moral guidance then it can't be undermined by a football club.

Football clubs aren't there to provide moral guidance. Maybe if people stopped describing footballs as role models, then others would start to realise that they aren't.
davei

Arnu, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the drinking and driving issue. However, while he was caught, charged found guilt and sentenced, our politicians (who supposedly are there to represent us) do far worse, actually DO get people killed and we make less of a fuss about it.

And yes, I have been touched by a drunk driver issue, which is why I have supported MADD since it's inception (Mrs Lightner) and have spoken to many classes of schoolkids (actually, so I am told by the RCMP, when I started many years ago, the very first of such on Vancouver Island) on the perils of drinking and driving.

If anyone's kid cannot see the difference between this guy and a real role model, not much anyone can do about it. Something about throwing the first brick comes to mind.
ARNU

[quote="Daggers No 2 Fan
Football clubs aren't there to provide moral guidance. Maybe if people stopped describing footballs as role models, then others would start to realise that they aren't.[/quote]

Well neither of us particularly like it but the truth is footballers are role models and thus should live up to a certain standard.The fact football is so lenient on all the scandals of recent years in real terms is footballs fault isn't it.Football clubs have a duty to provide if not moral guidance certainly a responsible attitude to social issues.Among which drunken driving/behaviour is somewhere near the top of the agenda.Racism,sexism,drug use etc etc....They don't have to preach the gospel but they do have a responsibility.