Luke Howell

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
PaulHornchurch

I'm sure Luke, his agent, Dag & Red, Dag & Red fans, Boreham Wood, their fans are all sitting here scratching their heads, wondering how the #### that happened.

Oh well
Mike the Dagger

I heard we offered Luke a reduced contract.... if so, especially given the lack of depth in the squad at the moment, we got what we deserved.

Gutted TBH.
rebeldagger

How did... what.....

If we're loosing out on snigatures to the likes of (with the greatest respect) Boreham Wood that, then does worry me for our season.
ThatRoundThing

Cutting things a bit fine to get a squad good enough to stay in the League at this rate. I have to keep reassuring myself that last season was quite similar until we brought in some quality on loan.
I expect Wayne has a shortlist of players in mind but needs to keep his cards close to his chest to stop other clubs closing in on his target players.
I fully expect us to struggle up to January at least until we play the get out of jail card again.
Doubt whether we will ever challenge for promotion again but seasons to come play relegation roulette with the likes of Accy, Morecambe and Newport.
stanton101

Don't forget to buy your tickets for our up and coming friendlies and our marvellous flexi cards!!!
Piss takers. I could understand a league club getting him, but f...ing boreham, says it all really don't it.
Diggerthedog

I'm sure Boreham Wood are not paying him more than we offered, more than likely to have gone Semi Pro.
matt_drfc

Diggerthedog wrote:I'm sure Boreham Wood are not paying him more than we offered, more than likely to have gone Semi Pro.
Probably needs more time for his baby. Definitely more personal reasons than financial. Good luck Luke!
Adrian

matt_drfc wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:I'm sure Boreham Wood are not paying him more than we offered, more than likely to have gone Semi Pro.
Probably needs more time for his baby. Definitely more personal reasons than financial. Good luck Luke!
So his wife/partner will be on maternity leave and he's now getting paid less to be a footballer. Good job babies don't cost money as it definitely isn't for financial reasons.
matt_drfc

Adrian wrote:
matt_drfc wrote:
So his wife/partner will be on maternity leave and he's now getting paid less to be a footballer. Good job babies don't cost money as it definitely isn't for financial reasons.
Thanks.
SUSSEX DAGGER

The harsh financial realities of football and life may be the true answer.

At 28 there may of been opportunities outside football that meant going semi pro may be better for him and his family in the long term, opportunities that were to good to turn down.

When we sign younger players the money we pay them is probably good for their age . We must all remember how good it was living at home paying your Mum a tenner a week ( still thinking you are bein robbed) and living the high life with the rest.

At the end of those contracts for many young players I dare say life has changed and they grow up and have other responseabilities. Sometimes your brain has to over rule your heart and the terms of a new contract may have proved not so attractive as they did four years earlier.

The sad realities are there are vast amount of players with Lukes ability thrown on the scrap heap by bigger Clubs prepared to sign contracts for less then what players of an older age can afford to sign.

Whatever the reasons I am sorry to see him go. Luke Howell never gave anything less the 100% in my opinion,last season oppitamised that when for the last third he played out of position but still gave everything for the cause.

To me Luke was a 7/10 week in week out and if nothing else we are sure as hell going to miss that.

The first year he was here we were 4th in the League when he hobbled off against Hereford away , when he came back 4 months later we were bottom of the League and looking certainties to go down. He played a big part in getting us out of that mess , mostly from the bench protecting leads but his role in that great escape should not be understated.

Luke appears to be an intelligent lad so opportunities outside football are not impossible for him.

The night my admiration for him grew was that fateful night at Southport when he was sent off. It took guts to get on the Supportes coach after and apologise to all the supporters on a night when perhaps to many heated opinions were exchanged.

So for whatever the reason the relationship has come to an end I think a lot of supporters will wish Luke nothing but the best for the future to him and his family
admin
Site Admin

Absolutely gutted to lose Luke Howell and think we will suffer a lot without him. Losing him, Doe, Ogogo and Bingham is a major blow to us and I hope Wayne has a plan (although somehow I doubt it).

If he's gone for personal reasons then I understand, some things are more important than work or football but if it's for any other reason, then it's pathetic losing out to Boreham Wood and leaves me worrying about next season
Daggertilidie

Clubs been 10 seasons in the football league and we loose a player to Borehamwood.. Enough said
Mike the Dagger

Daggertilidie wrote:Clubs been 10 seasons in the football league and we loose a player to Borehamwood.. Enough said
^^^^^ This
bearaab

But as said already, it could be that he has an opportunity to make more money playing semi pro and doing a proper job. Making a living is the priority for people at this level. He could have a decent brain on him and be making a shed load doing a real job.
ARNU

Good luck to him.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !