Dulwich

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
NickMurphy

First time I've seen us this pre-season and although you can't tell *too* much from a pre-season game, there's a few things that stand out.

O'Brien hasn't changed, I doubt we'll be renewing his contract at the end of the 2 years when it runs out unless he improves dramatically - poor positioning for Dulwich's equaliser. That was led to from a defensive mistake, Nosworthy and Gayle don't strike me as a very good partnership, not least because I don't think Gayle is a Football League standard starting centre-half, the one area in particular we desperately need someone decent to go alongside Nyron (Who I wasn't massively sold on, although it's one game so I won't make big judgements just yet). Bullet header for the goal though, if we want to improve on scoring from set-pieces he should be effective in doing so.

Of the trialists that play and that I can actually name, I really liked Matt Richards. Excelled in the middle when he was on, really reminds of a Thurgood that we desperately need in the side in the absence of Luke Howell. I've been told he can spray the ball round a bit as well - I'd be very happy if we signed him on tonight's showing, regardless of what Cheltenham fans may say. Montrose didn't impress me, and rarely does wherever he's been at (mainly Wycombe and York). Not sure about Raymond in the defensive role either, but it's pre-season, for trying things out.

So yeah, sort the back-line out and sign Richards and I'll be relatively pleased.
Mark

Richards stood out against us last season. Another midfielder we failed to get a grip on. I'd be happy with him.
Keeper Coach

such a shame when so called fans decide to get at players in a friendly.
There was an offside call for the first goal and the keeper was in the correct position for the situation, the free kick was a worldy bent around the wall into the top corner, two keepers would nt have kept it out.
First Young jack Connors now O'Brien...the guy known within the club as Mr Peculiar or The Bognor Bore is playing his usual tune yet he was nt even at the game.
We need the fans to get behind the young players, not write drivel after a friendly.
Jim Stannard was nt there tonight but ive seen the report hes received and it certainly does not criticise the keeper in fact praised for kicking talking and command of defence.
Although little to do in first two games he was again praised for leadership.
As a post note I have worked with O'Brien before and have courted the opinions of other coaches, all say the same thing, just needs games having had an interrupted career through injury, but and I can support this is "Technically excellent"

same with young Jack the Irish coaching staff are perplexed as to why hes still in Div2...these guys need confidence boosts not constant criticism and especially from people who were not even at a game or because they come from clubs they dislike.
We could be in for a good season, this is the best and fittest the squad have looked for 3 or 4 years, so get behind them, all of them.
NickMurphy

Wouldn't say I'm writing drivel personally. I think O'Brien's a good shot stopper, but his weakness is clearly his positioning and handling, he didn't look decisive enough when coming for crosses. If he's not decisive enough against a side 3 divisions below us, how am I meant to be enthusiastic about him going forward into the season? I want him to do well and improve as he's only young, and he has my support whilst he's here, but I personally don't think he's good enough.

"So called fans" as well. Nice dig - appreciate it.
Keeper Coach

"First time I've seen us this pre-season and although you can't tell *too* much from a pre-season game"

"O'Brien hasn't changed, I doubt we'll be renewing his contract at the end of the 2 years when it runs out "

Yes I see what you mean :roll:
NickMurphy

Keeper Coach wrote:"First time I've seen us this pre-season and although you can't tell *too* much from a pre-season game"

"O'Brien hasn't changed, I doubt we'll be renewing his contract at the end of the 2 years when it runs out "

Yes I see what you mean :roll:
I haven't got a clue what you mean unfortunately.
leewilson

I imagine O'Brien is the sort of keeper who if you knocked 100 balls to him in training, he'd save all 100. However, in the pressure of game situations which are difficult to replicate on the training field, he just doesn't look up to it. Whilst he may be technically better than Cousins, he certainly doesn't possess the instincts around the box that the latter has. Point blank saves, decision making and instinct are vital. I don't want to knock the guy, it's a difficult position. But in a league match where consistency is vital, Cousins has to start. If he needs games, he needs to go out on loan. We won't do this though for budgetary reasons. Although personally, I'd loan him out with a recall clause for if Cousins gets injured. Won't harm young Moore to be on the bench and if he has to come in for some minutes in a game, so be it if the benefit is O'Brien getting game time somewhere else.
Lcbdagger

Curious way this thread has gone... the team with Cousins and Widdowson in last season looked several divisions higher (at times) in quality than the team which had O'Brien and Connors in... supporting players is all well and good when they aren't directly contributing to losses through poor performances... they were rightly pulled out of the team last year and Connors in particular had a couple of shockingly poor performances late in the season when he came back in.

Players like Batt annoyed me more as he was terrible but still got in the side every game... at least Connors and O'Brien were pulled out of first team duties and let others in. Nothing i've seen in pre season, despite his age feels me with any kind of confidence having 'Brien in this season for ten or fifteen games if Cousins gets an injury
rebeldagger

I was at the game last night too, thought the players had a good run out and was nice to see them play the ball on the floor and move it around, just to get a feel for the ball.

It'll be hard to fault O'Brien for the goals, for the first the center back could have done a lot better to mark his man. As for the second, well it was a cracking free kick, yet O'Brien could have organized his wall better.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Don't have an opinion Nick ,just keep travelling over 12k a year and watch 60 games a year but don't have an opinion .
lupins

It's a very fine line between opinion and constructive comment and automatically coming down hard
eg "Needs a run of games" versus "Clown"
IanC

BOYS BOYS BOYS for crying out loud,we hear the same ol crap every year,its JULY 15!Chill out all we`ll be sorted by Aug 8,if ya wanna use up some energy join in and get yourselves over to holland for a daggers knees up!
Daggertilidie

Liam, (clanger) just not good enough a total migrane for all true fans everytime he plays, it worries me that the club cannot see it that he is a liability...
stanton101

IanC wrote:BOYS BOYS BOYS for crying out loud,we hear the same ol crap every year,its JULY 15!Chill out all we`ll be sorted by Aug 8,if ya wanna use up some energy join in and get yourselves over to holland for a daggers knees up!
The way things are going mate, if you bring your boots, you'll probably get a game.
Mikins

Keeper Coach wrote: As a post note I have worked with O'Brien before and have courted the opinions of other coaches, all say the same thing, just needs games having had an interrupted career through injury, but and I can support this is "Technically excellent"

same with young Jack the Irish coaching staff are perplexed as to why hes still in Div2...these guys need confidence boosts not constant criticism and especially from people who were not even at a game or because they come from clubs they dislike.
We could be in for a good season, this is the best and fittest the squad have looked for 3 or 4 years, so get behind them, all of them.
Personally I think this is grade A trolling, not sure how connors is *still in* league 2? most of us would imagine him struggling to get in a conference south side based on last season, and he'll never challenge Widdowson. same thing with Liam, he's got as much chance of claiming a first team berth without injury as Dave Hogan did of forcing out Robbo.

If you really do actually see what goes on the training pitch maybe you could enlighten us as to why these miraculous skills never transfer themselves into actual match performance. Or perhaps whats being done to correct this, if they are as amazing as is claimed.

Thats not me doing people down, thats a genuine question; we've had plenty of kids who can and cant cut it. and so far these two are almost unanimously viewed in the "Can't" camp.
Sorry about your damn luck!