We're in the playoff places

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Daggers No 2 Fan

ARNU wrote:Although its fair to say Medi's consistency has in the past been a bit questionable I have always believed and said he is a good player.I don't buy into all this "He's suddenly improved" its more a case of playing in a system suited to him.Think of all the others that probably got away under John Still that couldn't play hoofball.Tomlin springs to mind (Not my favourite ever dagger but it was clear to us hoofy weren't for him).As for Hoyte always been a good right back just unfortunate that Abs was a better one in the same team.That didn't mean he wasn't worthy.

Where are all these people now that wanted us to hoof it rather than pass it about ? Adrian spent hours telling us all how ridiculous it might be if Lewy rolled the ball out to a defender,preferring a throw in at the halfway line to the other team.
It's a case of balance really isn't it?
There are times when Lewy rolling the ball out isn't a good idea. There was one time yesterday where he rolled it out to Saah who took a couple of touches and then kicked it out. There are times when supporters howl at Lewy to roll it to a player who is being watched by one of the oppo waiting to nip in.

There are also still plenty of long balls forward being played - the first two goals against Rochdale were from long balls forward, and the second couldn't have been more direct - Lewy kick, one touch - goal.
Daggers No 2 Fan

lupins wrote:Just echoing most of the other comments that yesterday was an excellent performance but what a bunch of whingers Burton were. When Zavon caught the ball they were straight up off the bench to get a booking, technically correct possibly but not in the spirit of the game at all. And following an innocuous foul they were at it again. I suppose good players attract that but I thought it was poor to try to get fellow professionals off

The penalty was a bit soft but the free kick for the second was quite clear the player ran across Femi to block him off
Booking Hines for the handball wasn't technically correct in any way.
Handbal isn't a booking, doing it to get an advantage is, and Hines clearly wasn't as he clearly thought the ball was out, and just put it down anyway.
New Mexico Dagger

Pretty wild that after 16 games there is only a 16 pt. difference from bottom Northampton and top of the table Oxford United. Three pts separate the top 7 sides. Keep it up Daggers.
Crushed Dreams

My son's take on the game:

http://www.ratetheref.co.nr/

See under General Discussion

Daggers vs Burton - Dave Phillips
"Non-league officials of the East Midlands can breathe a sigh of relief this week!

I used to rate Dave Phillips when we saw him on a couple of occasions back in the Conference but on today's display I couldn't say I do now (and I think I wrote something similar last year as well). Whether I'm used to the non-league game and standards are so different in the FL I don't know, but his foul detection seemed way off to me today.

When is the earliest you have seen a booking for an accumulation of fouls? Here we had one in the 3rd minute, for Burton's right back I think, which seemed rather harsh - Mr Phillips pointed to three places but I could only recall two fouls (including that just committed). In the 7th minute Zavon Hines charged into the area and went down under challenge and after a moment's though Mr Phillips gave a penalty. I wasn't convinced at the time, and I think a fellow Dagger on our forum sums it up best when he says 'there was contact but he pulled out an oscar-winning performance'. Burton unsurprisingly were not amused as Hines scored the penalty. Within two minutes more he was in the book in bizarre circumstances - a ball was played crossfield towards him but was too high and instead of letting it go out of play he jumped up with his arms raised to stop it. Why on earth that merits a yellow card I don't know - it was a needless thing to do but the LOTG says handball is only a YC offence to prevent an opponent gaining possession (they can't if the ball is sailing out of play!) or if you're attempting to score a goal. As far as I'm concerned, just blatantly wrong on Mr Phillips' part.

After three dodgy early decisions play settled down somewhat, with a caution to a Burton player for another foul on Hines, this time deserved as he was brought down in full flight. The Burton bench wanted a second YC for Hines when he fouled an advancing opponent - he may well have got one if he hadn't already seen a yellow, the cynic in me says - but Mr Phillips wisely chose to give him a warning instead.

The general point about foul detection was perhaps best exemplified by the free kick that led to our second goal - here one of our player's was advancing and took a gentle nudge in the side and didn't go to ground or appeal but Mr Phillips gave the free kick (which was swung into the box and headed in). The BBC reports a booking for a Burton player at the same time but I didn't notice this - one of their players had something to say and got a furious blast on the whistle and a lecture. On several occasions throughout my dad and I turned to each other and in unison said 'that wasn't a foul', and as you can gather from the above, a number of them favoured Dagenham.

Overall, unconvincing. I did wonder if I'm so used to the non-league game that tolerances are so different at FL level, as I said above, but there still seemed to me to be lots of decisions given today that were simply not fouls...at any level. "
Last edited by Crushed Dreams on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Penfold

Re: Zavon going to ground... you can clearly see from the Youtube highlights that he didn't look for the penalty and got straight up to continue. So on this occasion, no blame can go to Zavs. I actually think its nice to have that kind of attribute in our team as we've generally been an honest team and its got us nowhere..
"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."

"You never realize what you have until it's gone. Toilet paper is a good example"