No plan B again

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Phippo

One of the best 0 - 0 I've seen in a long time. Why we didn't go more attacking in this game is beyond me. The game was there for the taking and Jamie probably wouldn't have scored if he had stayed on for the full game, although it wasn't for the lack of trying! Puzzling why the likes of Doidge, Yusuff and Jody are not given far more game time at this stage of the season?
steeevooo

The frustration for me in the second half (ignoring the ludicrously late timing of the subs) was twofold.

Firstly, we're getting a lot of success down the wings, especially with Hemming, who's delivering many crosses into the box. Sitting on the bench is the perfect man, Doidge, to attack these crosses. Indeed, he even scored a header against the same team earlier in the season. No, we'll make him twiddle his thumbs all match.

Secondly, their huge centre back who is slower than a one legged sloth, McNulty, is on a yellow card from the first half. What would be ideal is for someone to get the ball and run at him, making him either shit himself or make the tackle that will earn the second yellow card. On the bench we have Yussuf who loves to run at defenders and take them on. Ideal for the situation no? No, he'll spend all game twiddling thumbs too.

I admit that I font I have the coaching badges, that it was overall a good performance and that before the game I'd have certainly taken a draw, but those two things were so frustrating for me last night.
leewilson

There's a bit of an overreaction here. In my opinion, we should have come out with this midfield and strikeforce after half time:

------Boucard-Bingham
------------Ogogo
Jakubiak--Curo--Hemmings

If I'm being honest, Abu isn't a number 10 either but he plays where he wants these days and 1 sub at HT is enough. We should have looked to stretch Luton a lot earlier than we did. Instead, we played quite narrow and asked Widdowson and Partridge to come from deep.

However, i can see why Wayne did what he did because we were on top before HT. Curo also did run through 2-3 times in the 2nd half and on another day, we get the lead and catch Luton on the break as they push more men forward. If Curo scores, this conversation isn't even happening.

The one thing Wayne did do that I disagreed with is swapping Curo and Jakubiak. I think they should have both been on together. Or if he decided Curo had to come off, I'd have brought on Doidge central and Jakubiak wide instead of Jones. We got a fair few crosses into the box in the final 15 minutes but our front line was too small to properly attack them.

I'll keep saying this until I'm blue in the face but we really need to try and get Jakubiak here this season if possible. If Watford don't release him, another stint on loan would be great. For an 18 year old, he's excellent. If Zav can get back to fitness, we have good wide supporting options with him, Jak, Hemmings and Jones next season.
bloke down the pub

Plan "B" is W.B. Walks !
stanton101

I must admit I kept looking at the clock last night, hoping for a change but when it came it was too late and the wrong decision at that. We murdered wimbledon a few weeks ago with virtually the same team and yet last night we seemed clueless against a very slow back 4. As a match it was quite entertaining for a 0-0 but also very annoying as they were they were there for the taking. Gayle and Partridge did ok given that Luton were a man short after benno's sending off, but it was very frustrating even so.
Richie

Why change to plan b when plan a was working? We got in behind them enough times.
Mike the Dagger

Richie wrote:Why change to plan b when plan a was working? We got in behind them enough times.
I would argue that by an hour of Plan A not working (JC was having a mare) and with there being no threat coming from getting the ball into the box from the wings, it was time to make a change.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Lcbdagger

Mike the Dagger wrote:
Richie wrote:Why change to plan b when plan a was working? We got in behind them enough times.
I would argue that by an hour of Plan A not working (JC was having a mare) and with there being no threat coming from getting the ball into the box from the wings, it was time to make a change.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
I had no problem with the change, but for me the way it was managed confused me... Jakubiak looks a better winger than striker, especially lone striker and we subsequently failed to make any use with he or Jones providing pace up front along side Hemmings by unlocking their defence... especially with a shocking CB on a yellow card already... all we did was get the ball 25 yards from goal and pass it around in midfield for 20 or 30 passes before they stuck in a last ditch challenge and cleared the ball.

Even a few shots from outside the box could have caused problems, got a corner or gone in via a deflection... the last ten minutes were as if the team had money on a 0-0 score line
its all good

Jones did actually have a couple of shots. One was blocked and the other flew miles wide to the delight of the Luton scumbags.
WB gives him instructions to run at defenders and shoot or cross from the bye line so there was an attempt to change things although I accept it was late in the game
Alex also has a game that mainly depends on running at his opponent and using pace and trickery from games I've seen him play
Lcbdagger

its all good wrote:Jones did actually have a couple of shots. One was blocked and the other flew miles wide to the delight of the Luton scumbags.
WB gives him instructions to run at defenders and shoot or cross from the bye line so there was an attempt to change things although I accept it was late in the game
Alex also has a game that mainly depends on running at his opponent and using pace and trickery from games I've seen him play
If you play 3 up front I think Jakubiak makes a great wide attacking outlet... can also play well in a two with a partner but I have seen nothing this season to suggest he is a central striker in a front 3... or, more importantly, a straight replacement for Cureton

Just wantd something after JC came off to at least give the impression we would score... I personally saw nothing