Matchday Prograaaaaaaaaaaaaaaames

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Anyone still buy these??

I used to religiously until about 7-8 yrs ago when it dawned on me a) they were shat and b) just clogged up a load of space.

Interested to know what our sales figures are against costs to produce them.

Id be amazed if they made us a profit and if they dont we should look to scrap them next year (assuming we have a club of course)
ThatRoundThing

Haven't bought any for a few seasons. Storage restricted.
Apparently a few of our League One programmes are worth more than face value. Sheff W, Southampton, Huddersfield spring to mind.
IanC

Yeah good shout Paul,I stopped years ago mainly through storage etc,and you know what’s gonna be in it anyway.
And with the websites and all other online stuff you got all the info you need.
Can’t remember the team now,but a good while ago I was on said teams website,and all they do to save costs is put the programme online.
Then you just print it off etc,maybe wouldn’t work for us and there might even be a rule where you do have to have one.
DevonDagger

As it happens, this is currently up for vote in the summer for the EFL. Don't know National League standing on it.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -in-summer
Gravy

I could be wrong but I referee on the ryman/bostick league and as I understand it. It's a league rule for clubs to produce a match day programme
ARNU

Buy 1 occasionally. More likely to buy an away one tbh. Our one is pretty drab.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
NBDag

Also used to buy them weekly, but now only do it for special games (when we have any). As said before, you know what is in it now. Also I think they stopped doing sections such as Traveler’s Tales which was one of the best parts of it. Would rather stick the £3 into 50/50s, golden goals and behind the bar now.

This is a bit out there, but I would like it if there was an online-only magazine released on gamedays that was full of content from actual fans that could submit things for posting. Don’t have the foggiest about how it would be set up, but I think given a fair price I would pay a subscription for that if the content was worth reading.
Dagdale

Could not imagine going to any game without grabbing a programme, been part and parcel of a day at football now for so long. Always a good way to read on the way home via public transport or solo travelling. Must admit though our's isn't too great and needs some more decent info. Got hold of a Rochdale programme a couple of weeks back and I'm still going through it, so some club's do take pride in running a good one. Think little Fylde and neighbours Leyton Orient are the best ones at our level, although the latter did swing the inside of it upside down this season.
BarkingRambo

I'm also part of the use to buy them but now storage is an issue brigade.

I wonder if there could be something in the online subscription thing suggested. Maybe the club should offer a discounted charge to email or provide an online download of their programe (£2, maybe £1.50 an issue). They could offer a discounted season ticket bundle, 40 quid gets you access to the lot even cup games. A lot of people have smartphones these days so if you want to read on the terraces you can download it and flick through it at the ground. I think it is league rules that the club has to offer something on print but they could shrink it down and half maybe even quarter the amount of copies printed.
NickMurphy

I edited the programme during the 15-16 and 16-17 seasons and we brought back Travellers' Tales for one of those. Problem is, with a feature like that, if you keep it going for too long and you keep visiting the same grounds, it gets very repetitive.

I'm in two minds over whether they should be crapped or not. On one hand, for lower league clubs especially, they are essentially an unnecessary financial burden in this day and age. Hardly anything you read in the programme cannot be found out online, save one or two interviews and features on the past, which in my experience, were very difficult to compile anyway.

On the other hand, they're part of the fabric of football and they're a great tradition to have. Especially when going away from home.

I've thought in the past that making a downloadable PDF version available would be a smart move. Think you'd get home and away fans who would buy it before the event to get the lowdown on the opposition or whatnot.
Bluenose

I too used to enjoy Travellers Tales.
One time they had a horrible experience (it was Rochdale, I think) when the hot water in the Ladies came out a bit fast.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Whats the added cost to the Club next Season now we have lost the Services of the unpaid Editor and Photographer.

Another Wheel just fallen off the Wagon.

When are we going to stop shooting ourselves in the bloody foot
ThatRoundThing

Not Daggers related on programmes, but Colchester United are going to include a free programme to all matchday ticket holders.
daggersjeff

Think we should keep a programme of sorts, wherever we are next season as a team. Doesn't have to be a forty page novel, just the basics and a couple of adverts (which in themselves should cover the cost of printing the programme).

Haven't actually seen anywhere that states Simmo has departed the club, only resigned from the Board?