Save the daggers - game v West Ham

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DI Mike Dashwood

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that!! The first 65 mins were a decent game of football I thought, and we played some decent stuff.

But the attendance and the occasion were what it was all about, and I imagine we have made a few bob and that the finances will have exceeded the initial expectations

Well done to West Ham for the part they played in the occasion and well done to all their supporters for supporting the event
daggersjeff

Excellent game tonight. We were more than their equal in the first half but went in a goal down. They stepped the game up a little in the second half and ran out deserved 3-1 winners. Crowd reported as 4,700 although a couple of the stewards thought it was more. Good to see Suvs back in a Daggers shirt for 15 mins
RampantDuke

DI Mike Dashwood wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 pm Well I thoroughly enjoyed that!! The first 65 mins were a decent game of football I thought, and we played some decent stuff.

But the attendance and the occasion were what it was all about, and I imagine we have made a few bob and that the finances will have exceeded the initial expectations

Well done to West Ham for the part they played in the occasion and well done to all their supporters for supporting the event
Yep. Totally agree Dashers.
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
stanton101

An enjoyable evening all round really. Some decent stuff was played by both teams and credit to West Ham for playing quite a few first teamers.
The result didn't really matter of course, at least we earned a few bob tonight that's what really counted.
Dagdale

Thought it was such a good advert tonight for showing what decency and what good can still come out of the game. A good bond of friendship between two local sides and a pleasure to be there to witness quite a good attacking game especially before Hammers scored before the break. Daggers matched that Hammers side so well tonight and seemed to flow with confidence could be a good anchor now on our games remaining, and how unusual and great to see the stadium so full, remember this night for ages.
triplescarf

I went to the game last night, as a 'fan' of both teams. I was born in Hornchurch and supported West Ham (of my own volition!) as a very young boy. When I was 13 (1990) me and a couple of friends started going to watch Dagenham and then the season afterwards became season ticket holders. We stayed through the merger, but all stopped going when we'd finished our educations and moved away from the area, me to Surrey, one friend to Scotland and one, sadly, passed away not long after. I've lived in East Hertfordshire for the last few years, and on a good day, it's about an hour drive to get to the ground. I've only been a handful of times since, but went along last night with a mate who is also a West Ham fan. Standing in the sieve again brought back so many memories. There were a few too many C-words being thrown around at about the half way line, particularly with kids there (there were quite a few wearing West Ham badges, I'm sorry to say), but it made me sad to think that a team I still support from afar (I still see the Daggers as 'my' team and indeed went as a Home supporter last night) could be facing extinction.

This is particularly relevant since I've become so disillusioned with 'professional' football and the Premier League - I care so little about the Hammers these days that I've not been to the Olympic Stadium - I was at the last game at Upton Park against Man Utd, which was immense, but since the move, and the diving, and the money, the Premier League has become a farce for me.

As soon as season tickets are on sale for 18-19 I'll buy one, and plan on getting to at least two of the last home games this season. Next season I'll make the effort to get over to games as often as I can (difficult with the distance and family commitments etc. although I've taken the boy before and sure I could twist his arm to come to more matches!).

My mate said how nice it was to be so close to the action and see some good football being played (and he meant by the Daggers, in phases!) and was up for coming to more games with me just to watch some football (he abandoned his WHU season ticket because of fan behaviour around him). I hope it's not too little too late, but if last night's game captured the hearts of a few disconsolate West Ham fans, and encouraged a few lapsed Daggers fans like me to come back in, then who knows.
DI Mike Dashwood

Great post Triple Scarf and glad you enjoyed the evening.

I spoke to a few West Ham fans last night and this morning and all said they enjoyed it. Hopefully there will be a few who come back for a few more games.

I am not a West Ham supporter (I don't support anyone at that level) but all my mates and family do and I know a number of them are unhappy with things over there since the move. I actually hope West Ham fans don't turn their back on their club and instead continue to fight for the changes they want. Ordinary long term supporters are being ignored at to many clubs and something needs to be done.

I do though hope that on days when West Ham are away (or other big London clubs) that people wanting to stand on the terraces and have a few beers before the game look at Dagenham and head our way going forward.
rebeldagger

Delighted you had a good night Triple Scarf.

That's just the type of response we needed from last night, in the long run a response like that, replicated X times over will be worth more then the funds raised. Albeit, that yes we need the funds now, we also equally need to look at how to attract people to the club, something that the club just hasn't done right of late.

However, last night both clubs put in a good effort to the build up and put on a good display to create the "Daggers atmosphere", The Sieve was bulging last night and it was brilliant to see it like that.
Lcbdagger

daggersjeff wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 pm Excellent game tonight. We were more than their equal in the first half but went in a goal down. They stepped the game up a little in the second half and ran out deserved 3-1 winners. Crowd reported as 4,700 although a couple of the stewards thought it was more. Good to see Suvs back in a Daggers shirt for 15 mins
By the by in terms of the wider game but thought Southam looked alright having been at a lower level for so long... half expected to see him come on at half time and keep the game late by ten minutes as he runs out on his own doing his hair while everyone is waiting to start the game
Richie

I'd like to see Liam Gordon get a first team start before the end of the season.

Looked decent enough last night, has been on loan in Conference South. And he's an actual left back!