A Game Of Headers & Volleys Ep.27

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Daggernewbie

Mike the Dagger wrote:It was interesting to read Paul Gwinn's email to the SC on 14th July 2017 stating the Confederate flag was banned but that he, personally, was willing to hand over £120 for the flag. I haven't seen what the response was. They knew it was an issue, they had the offer to compensate them for it in writing and refused it. July was the Summer, correct?

Also interested to know why the flag issue could have been solved with a meeting "in the Summer", when the same meeting in August (still the Summer) didn't resolve the issue.

At that meeting they agreed that the club (or the Supporters Club for that matter) could not stop the flag being taken to away games, not that the flag was acceptable to the club. Am I reading that correctly?

I also wonder who passed "the clumsy fake email" over to the flag holders at Woking? If they ever climb out from under the bus, they might want to answer that one.
MTD why do you keep digging up things can`t you let things drop,now is the time for all of us to move on and let old/new wounds heal and for everyone to pull together for the sake of the club we all LOVE.
Mike the Dagger

Daggernewbie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 pm MTD why do you keep digging up things can`t you let things drop,now is the time for all of us to move on and let old/new wounds heal and for everyone to pull together for the sake of the club we all LOVE.
DN why did you insist on the Supporters Club having the right to reply if you didn't want that reply scruntinised?

I'm interested why a meeting "in the summer" would have probably solved everything when a meeting in August didn't. It isn't that hard.
Diggerthedog

Mike stop sticking up for your mates on the board by picking holes in everything people say. Regardless of any flags or conversations or campaigns against the MD all of which are a smokescreen to their failure of this mess by allowing overspend. :banghead:
Mike the Dagger

Diggerthedog wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:03 am Mike stop sticking up for your mates on the board by picking holes in everything people say. Regardless of any flags or conversations or campaigns against the MD all of which are a smokescreen to their failure of this mess by allowing overspend. :banghead:
Wow, really?

There wouldn't have been an overspend if Hopkin hadn't pulled out.

Can you honestly say even after all this that the actions of a very small number of our supporters did not influence that?
RampantDuke

Mike the Dagger wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am
Diggerthedog wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:03 am Mike stop sticking up for your mates on the board by picking holes in everything people say. Regardless of any flags or conversations or campaigns against the MD all of which are a smokescreen to their failure of this mess by allowing overspend. :banghead:
Wow, really?

Can you honestly say even after all this that the actions of a very small number of our supporters did not influence that?
The flag owners have achieved one of two things with their persistence;

1. Driven Glyn Hopkin out of the club by being totally stubborn and unreasonable and not being smart enough to know when that particular protest had lost it's effect.

2. Given Glyn Hopkin a brilliant excuse to walk away from the club after he realised he didn't fancy it any more.

Either way they have to take some (but not all) of the responsibility.
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
ThatRoundThing

Mike the Dagger wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am
Wow, really?

Was there not already an overspend that prompted the board to look for outside investment consortiums and remove the members run club status?
hockley dagger

Rampant Duke's point 2 was the conclusion that I reached. Mr Hopkin had gone lukewarm on the idea of bankrolling the club and this offered him a way out without attracting adverse publicity, which would damage his business.

Ironic that Mr Tamplin's barrage of publicity rolls on (just up the road from here) and despite two league defeats he's in two cup finals, the quarter final of the Trophy tomorrow and still top of the league. He seems to be putting his money where his mouth is.

Maybe the Peterborough thing will happen. Anyone fancy Barry Fry getting involved?
Diggerthedog

I look forward to when all this financial mess is sorted so we can actually get rid of this board. Whilst things are in a mess like now its time for unity but believe me when we are up straight I will be going straight for the jugular.
Mike the Dagger

RampantDuke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am
The flag owners have achieved one of two things with their persistence;

1. Driven Glyn Hopkin out of the club by being totally stubborn and unreasonable and not being smart enough to know when that particular protest had lost it's effect.

2. Given Glyn Hopkin a brilliant excuse to walk away from the club after he realised he didn't fancy it any more.

Either way they have to take some (but not all) of the responsibility.
Combination of both I think. As someone said a while ago, owning a club at our level is a hobby more than a business. If your hobby sees you hassled, ignored, disrespected, ambushed, stalked and is costing you a significant amount of money you'd probably pack it in too. Especially if it could potentially affect your business.

No excuse for doing it mid season mind, but understandable that he pulled out.