Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Auntie Merge

This thread...
Interesting insight from Arnu
(Ignore the abuse it descends into)

http://www.viewsfromthesieve.co.uk/view ... f=2&t=2441
ARNU

Yep !! Good spot auntie.

I talk some incredible Bollu4 when I'm on the wind up but there are pearls of wisdom in there if you get me in a serious conversation.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Auntie Merge

I actually read that thread and cried.
How could it all go so wrong, so quickly.
I don’t think I’ve ever felt so low.
ARNU

It happened because of sentimentality, nostalgia and ignorance of how a ruthless businessman works. What was essentially a plaything was always going to take 2nd place to a poor performing main business. It makes business sense to cut your losses if your main priority is left needing.

If you've got a mortgage to pay and the full sky TV package and you lose a wage coming into your home the TV subscription goes out the window first doesn't it ?

It was a plaything for Glynn and I'm sure he entered with best intentions. It's business.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
The Romford Dagger

ARNU wrote:It happened because of sentimentality, nostalgia and ignorance of how a ruthless businessman works. What was essentially a plaything was always going to take 2nd place to a poor performing main business. It makes business sense to cut your losses if your main priority is left needing.

If you've got a mortgage to pay and the full sky TV package and you lose a wage coming into your home the TV subscription goes out the window first doesn't it ?

It was a plaything for Glynn and I'm sure he entered with best intentions. It's business.
I said on a different thread when he joined (think it was the one about how brilliant Hopkins is) that it’s too early to know his intentions are all good.

Unfortunately, he did exactly what the Tamplin haters were scared of happening if he’d bought the club.
Voice of reason

Auntie Merge wrote:This thread...
Interesting insight from Arnu
(Ignore the abuse it descends into)

http://www.viewsfromthesieve.co.uk/view ... f=2&t=2441
Arnu has made sensible posts about both sides which sum up where we are
Dagdale

Hard to believe what's happened, at least Tamblin didn't, like get the ball rolling, but first few months of this season no doubt the most happiness I've felt and know I speak for many others watching the boys, there was just a great buzz about the place, as if we were going to be a force to watch out for, and to make matters even worse its so hard to apprehend that if it was really flag gate that came to this, why wasn't it cleared up on that dreaded outcome? Actually think it was far worse than relegation year when we had no steam nearly all season and knew we would get swallowed under as early as Xmas. Still were daggers at heart, we gotta keep bonded , most seasons we witness things that ain't right, all I hope now is although I enjoy watching some junior players coming through to senior side we don't lose nearly all our star players by end of the season and have to fill it that way, that would be a real blow to try and accept.
Dagger42

Auntie Merge wrote:I actually read that thread and cried.
How could it all go so wrong, so quickly.
I don’t think I’ve ever felt so low.
We just need to go back to what we were before a local club living within our means. Did not do us in any harm before we got promoted league on it. I always remember the club they were not going to put club in financial risk to stay up. Pick up good non -league bargains (Benson Danny Green)and loans (Matt Ritchie). Always though first few seasons in league we had that Wimbledon crazy gang mentality fans, players and club in it together punching above our weight. not saying we still not look investors and make business improvement but beware of sugar daddies talking a good fight.
RayleighDagger1986

If you go back to the late 90's, we had the likes of Matthews, Cole and Cobb picked up from lower leagues and the likes of Janney and Goodwin released by prem clubs. Others arrived under Hill from lower leagues 1999/00 such as Vickers, Roberts, Heffer etc.
There are quality players lower down. Alot of then make more money staying part-time and maybe that's the way forward for us. Part-time is affordable and we've had some excellent teams over the part-time year's under Hill and Still. I wouldnt be to disappointed if we went back down that route.
TomMc

Cobb cost £14,000
Matthews cost about £7,000 (I think)

Might not be the best examples.

Have always thought you're better off having the choice of the best part-timers than of the worst full-timers.
RayleighDagger1986

Matthews i think was from Purfleet. Cant remember where Cobb came from.
Does anyone remember other excellent signings from the time!
Alan

Cobby was purfleet as well, I think?
durnzo

Always been a fan of the misunderstood ARNUs work(bit of a cringe thing to say I know!!) But I think most people on here are knowledgeable and passionate about the mighty daggers. That's why it gets a heated at times. But isn't that the general idea of a forum? Everyones big and definitely ugly enoughto take it, lets hope it carries on for years to come!!!