Topical

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dj johnny b

On the 19th February 1977 Leytonstone drew 1-1 at home to Hayes in a Rothmans Isthmian League match.
The Hayes equaliser was scored by Cyrille Regis 6 minutes before time.
Leytonstone's captain and centre half was John Still but he was a team change that day. Maybe he saw the opposing centre forward's pen picture:
" ...has scored 20 goals to date (12 since Christmas) and 4 in a match last Tuesday" and thought better of taking him on!
Dagenham,by the way, were top of the table.
Mike the Dagger

dj johnny b wrote:On the 19th February 1977 Leytonstone drew 1-1 at home to Hayes in a Rothmans Isthmian League match.
The Hayes equaliser was scored by Cyrille Regis 6 minutes before time.
Leytonstone's captain and centre half was John Still but he was a team change that day. Maybe he saw the opposing centre forward's pen picture:
" ...has scored 20 goals to date (12 since Christmas) and 4 in a match last Tuesday" and thought better of taking him on!
Dagenham,by the way, were top of the table.
I recall watching Cyrille Regis play agaist the Daggers that season, He was the man of the moment and obviously destined for better things. The next time I saw him play live, he was in an England short at Wembley.

RIP Cyrille

On a related subject, a year or so earlier I also saw Alan Devonshire playing for Southall. A year or so later it was Stuart Pearce at Wealdstone.

Great days.
ARNU

I saw Cyril Regis play against Arsenal at Highbury ( I was ballboy and sat in the dugout with TerryNeil ,Don Howe and the now disgraced Graham Rix. ( he didn't touch me ). Also see him v West Ham at Upton Park more than once. I'm sure johnny Giles was wba captain for at least one of the games. Arsenal won 4-0, Malcolm macdonald , Liam Brady era. My mate supported arsenal so I went a few times. Boring but true.
RIP Cyril .
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !